Hourglass?

Options
New to fitness and exercise really! My body shape at the moment is kind of a blob but I am aiming for an hourglass.

Are there any exercises that you recommend?

I don't even know if it is possible to get from my shape now to an hourglass (photos are on my profile page) but I still want to try!

I just got some weights (have 2.5kg on them at the moment - way heavier than I was using!) and do Zumba twice a week. Still working on my diet as I know that is really important.

Any help welcomed! :smile:

Replies

• Amazonbella
    Options
    Girl you ALREADY have an hourglass! :) Now you are just shaping it to your version of "perfection" :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Your shape is what it is, you can't really change it.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I would say that lifting weights is where it's at!! Muscle is what really shapes your body. Lifting weights will give you nice definition in your shoulders and a round, lifted booty. I do Zumba too, but weight lifting has shaped my body more than hours of cardio ever could!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    From your photos, it looks like you do have an hourglass figure, so there's a good chance you'll be able to keep it once the weight drops. I've always had an hourglass figure, too - even at 115, my hips/bust was almost even and there was a several inch difference in the waist. I'm 145 now and still retain those kinds of measurements, I just want them smaller.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    lift weights. weighted squats for your bootay, bench presses for your pecs/muscles underneath your boobies.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I agree on two counts above:

1 - You appear to already have an hour glass figure
    2 - You cannot change the shape you do have...just make it the best you can by slimming down and toning up.

I too have an hour glass figure and it hasn't changed regardless of when I was 152 or now (at 119 lbs); I'm just a smaller more compact hour glass. :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You can't have an hourglass figure unless that is your figure. It's bone structure, not size. If you're meant to have one, you will.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I would say that lifting weights is where it's at!! Muscle is what really shapes your body. Lifting weights will give you nice definition in your shoulders and a round, lifted booty. I do Zumba too, but weight lifting has shaped my body more than hours of cardio ever could!

No amount of lifting weights will change your natural bust measurements in comparison to your waist in comparison to your hips. An hourglass is defined has one's waist being 10 or more inches smaller than one's hips and one's bust being within an inch of the hips. Thus the hourglass shape.

If you are not an hourglass naturally, you cannot ever lift enough weights to make your breasts larger or your waist comparatively smaller. Aim for the best body YOU can have. If you're an hourglass, you will have an hourglass shape.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    To those saying she has an hourglass figure, she looks far more pear shaped to me.

Hourglass figures have equal or close to equal (within an inch or two of each other) bust and hip measurements, and waist measurements that are at least 9 inches smaller than either bust or hips.

As previously mentioned, you can not change your shape, only enhance it.
  • psychic_atrophy
    Options
    Despite what other posters are saying, you do not have an hourglass, which I'm sure you know already. More of a pear shape, your chest measurement would be equal to your hips with a hourglass shape. Unfortunately its not really possible to change your body shape, if you lose weight you may reveal more of your natural shape and slim you throughout. If you naturally carry more weight in your lower half, this will always be the case, you cant spot reduce. But I think there is nothing wrong with a pear shape. I am a pear shape. The idea that the hourglass is ideal is old fashioned and outdated. Love the body you have!
  • plaingirly
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

My starting measurements were 43 - 34 - 44 so probably more likely to be a pear. Still look more like a blob to me!

My weights are all ready so I just have to find the right exercises for me - excited to see how my shape ends up!

The hourglass may be outdated as an ideal shape but I am a 50s girl. I guess there are always waspies!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

My starting measurements were 43 - 34 - 44 so probably more likely to be a pear. Still look more like a blob to me!

My weights are all ready so I just have to find the right exercises for me - excited to see how my shape ends up!

The hourglass may be outdated as an ideal shape but I am a 50s girl. I guess there are always waspies!

I'm an hourglass and while I want to be smaller, I do love my shape, so I get it! lol But nothing wrong with any shape and I think pear is very pretty. I'd actually prefer to be a pear. The big boobs get in the way!
  • plaingirly
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I'm an hourglass and while I want to be smaller, I do love my shape, so I get it! lol But nothing wrong with any shape and I think pear is very pretty. I'd actually prefer to be a pear. The big boobs get in the way!

I like the balance of an hourglass shape - plus I think it suits the 50s fashions with circle skirts and nipped in waists!