Lifting and weight loss

Options
Hi everyone

I know that people talk about not worrying about the numbers on the scale, etc - it's all about how your body composition changes once you start lifting heavy.

However, it seems that a lot of the people who have had great results from lifting, without it showing on the scale, had already reached their goal, or close to, when they started.

I'm nowhere near my goal - I'm still 15kgs (33lbs) away from it. I'm lifting on a deficit and haven't seen any loss in month. I'm not panicking - I'm just wondering whether this is something I should be expecting? Will the weight-loss start again eventually, or do I have to try doing something else?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You should see a loss after a week or two when the water retention stabilizes. If you have not lost weight for a month then you could be eating at maintenance, however, monthly water weight fluctuations could also be masking 'real' weight loss, which is why women should really give it 6 weeks before concluding that weight loss has stopped.

How accurately are you logging food? Also, when was the last time you took a diet break?
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara

I'm logging my food super-accurately (measure everything and mainly eat home food), and I use a bodybugg, so I know my TDEE every day. It's around 2000 on rest days and around 2800 on workout days.

I've been eating at at daily budget of 1500 cals, although over this past weekend I've had some not-so-great days. I tend to eat slightly under my calorie limit most days, to give myself a 'free day' about once a week (not a regular scheduled thing, though - so it's slightly less than once a week).
  • bexxgirl
    Options
    bumpity bump - any thoughts appreciated!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Hey Sara

I'm logging my food super-accurately (measure everything and mainly eat home food), and I use a bodybugg, so I know my TDEE every day. It's around 2000 on rest days and around 2800 on workout days.

I've been eating at at daily budget of 1500 cals, although over this past weekend I've had some not-so-great days. I tend to eat slightly under my calorie limit most days, to give myself a 'free day' about once a week (not a regular scheduled thing, though - so it's slightly less than once a week).

so your deficit is 500-1300 calories? That's a bit extreme. I suggest you take a 15% deficit and aim for that. It is a slow process but worth it.
  • bexxgirl
    Options
    Hey Sara

so your deficit is 500-1300 calories? That's a bit extreme. I suggest you take a 15% deficit and aim for that. It is a slow process but worth it.

Oh, sorry - I should say, I eat back quite a few of my exercise calories - trying to maintain a deficit of around 300-500 cals.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Hey Sara

Oh, sorry - I should say, I eat back quite a few of my exercise calories - trying to maintain a deficit of around 300-500 cals.

Whew--good. perfect! keep at it. You can do this!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara

Give it 2 more weeks due to water weight. If nothing by then I would suggest a diet break for 7 - 10 days:

Here is a good write up:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • futurestarz
    Options
    bump. im interested in this too
  • thekat78
    thekat78 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Usually, from my experience, a stall in weight loss when it comes to lifting calls for some more high intensity workouts. Instead of doing your usual sets, bump them up a level in either weights or reps. Really push yourself hard for about a week and see how you feel after that. It sounds like your calorie control is super, though paying attention to your macros might also help you! I know I try to get a good amount of protein and good fats and the right kind of carbs will only help you!

And the water weight thing is right, also. It'll take your body time to get used to heavier lifting or higher intensity, so don't back down from it if you gain at first! It'll be gone by the end of the first week or two. I hope this helps!! :)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    The weight loss that you get from lifting is a bit slower than straight cardio, at least in my experience. Part of what happens is that you're adding muscle tissue, which will make it seem as if you're not losing any weight if you go strictly by the scale. Body measurements are probably a better barometer to see what kind of progress you're making (my wife did this when she first started the 30 day shred). As for me, I just went by how my clothes fit over time (mostly because I'm scale-phobic, heh). As my regular pants and shirt sizes got to be too big, I knew I was losing... and let me tell you, having to get rid of my 'fat clothes' was the best day of rearranging my clothes drawers ever.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to read through responses later!