Exercising and acne??

Options
2»

Replies

• Maggies90
    Maggies90 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I had the same exact thing happen to me last year! I started to use the 3 step clinque thing and that just made it worse! However I bought proactiv and that seemed to do the trick for me. I saw results quickly but it also took a while to completely clear out and it irritated my skin at first. If you're desperate (like i was) I totally recomend you go that route! I have heard that Walmart or any other drug store sell a product that has the same ingridients as proactiv for a much cheaper price. I have yet to try it but I've read decent reviews on it. I also love doing the Queen Helene (sp?) Mint Julep mask 1-2xs a week it helps keep my skin looking nicer!
    Hope I've helped somewhat and i hope your skin gets better!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    seborrheic dermatitis? Do you have any scaling too? Is it located around your temples and hair line?
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I had severe acne when I was a teenager, had to take medication to relieve it, but lately its been coming back with a vengeance....
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this as well and at 37!!!!!!!!!! However, I found that it was because of the added exercise causing my insulin spiking, thus causing me acne. At first I thought it was something I ate, like splenda or cheeses or not washing my face enough or with something else causing me to break out. But in the end, it was just my insulin spikes. I readjusted my diet and added more healthy carbs and it balanced out. :)

Oh wow! I do have Hypothyroidism...which DOES affect the way Insulin works in my body...maybe I should look into this area more! Thanks!

I agree that it is something hormonal. I doubt it has to do with exercising. I am also 30 and hypothyroid. Our hormones do some weird stuff at this age though. It does feel like a second adolescence in some ways. I think acne is not unusual for women our age.
  • Natasha28
    Options
    seborrheic dermatitis? Do you have any scaling too? Is it located around your temples and hair line?

No, it is all over. My cheek bone area, my chin, my forehead, my nose and underneath my chin/jaw bone (which...I've never in my life had one on this area...but I do now all of the time).
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    go see an esthetician.
  • Natasha28
    Options
    I feel your pain! I had the same exact thing happen to me last year! I started to use the 3 step clinque thing and that just made it worse! However I bought proactiv and that seemed to do the trick for me. I saw results quickly but it also took a while to completely clear out and it irritated my skin at first. If you're desperate (like i was) I totally recomend you go that route! I have heard that Walmart or any other drug store sell a product that has the same ingridients as proactiv for a much cheaper price. I have yet to try it but I've read decent reviews on it. I also love doing the Queen Helene (sp?) Mint Julep mask 1-2xs a week it helps keep my skin looking nicer!
    Hope I've helped somewhat and i hope your skin gets better!

Thanks for the idea...I will look at this the next time I go to Walmart...If that doesn't work...maybe I'll just have to splurge on the Proactiv. I feel as if I'm in the desperate stage...or at least one step away from it!
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem over the last few years. I would break out after really hard workouts and it got worse in the summers. I linked it to sweating. Turns out I had a mild food allergy that was causing it. I cut out certain artificial sweeteners, and last summer I didn't have nearly the issues that I had in the past. With changes in diet and exercise, this might be something to look at. Have you seen a dermatologist?
  • SummerMarieM
    Options
    I spent hundreds of dollars seeking a dermatologist before I finally came to that discovery. I had small blister-like acne on my face, in the T-zone and jawline. I also had a steady feverish temp in those areas with it as well. SO UNCOMFORTABLE! I tried benedryl because i thought maybe it was a food allergy or hives. I even thought it was the Splenda or Processed milk. So I cut them out and switched to Stevia and stopped eating dairy - which was a major portion of my diet, BUT it didn't help! I eventually was over washing my face causing discomfort, etc. Even the meds the doc gave me didn't help. Mine is under control now as I adjusted the carbs. I sure hope yours gets better soon! Don't give up!