A friend gave me Quinoa...any suggestions as a recipe???

Options
iamkarent
iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
I have never had it before...completely in the dark...
So any easy recipes as a first try...or cooking tips..

Replies

• stitchinhippie
    Options
    It can basically be used anywhere you use rice (burritos, put a stew or soup on top of it, etc). There are lots of recipes for quinoa salads online. A friend of mine gave me a great recipe for quinoa mac and cheese. It serves 8 and has the following stats:
    Calories 264
    Carbs 26
    Fat 10
    Protien 20
    Sodium 481
    Sugar 1
    If interested, send me a message and I will look for the recipe. (I have the recipe measurements and stats saved under my "recipes" on MFP, but I don't have the cooking directions.)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I make it with chicken broth instead of water, and add cranberries for a little tart flavor.
  • MomilyO
    Options
    My family likes it cooked with chicken broth as an alternative to rice...it's got a lot more protein and is super yummy
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa, I have it at least 3 times/week. This is what I made last night.

1/2 cup Quinoa-
    4 cups chopped Rainbow Chard -
    1.5-2 cups finely diced Onions
    Garlic Clove, 3 cloves
    3 Eggs -scrambled
    1/4 cup shredded cheese- parmesean
    1.5 tbsp Nutritional Yeast,
    2 tsp fresh chopped sage
    2 tsp dried thyme
    2 tbsp canola oil

optional- 1 Field Roast Applewood & Sage vegan sausage- diced

Cook the quinoa with about 3/4-1 cup water or broth.
    Saute the onions until translucent, add chopped garlic, add in the chard until softens.

When that's done, in a glass dish (I used 8x8) mix quinoa and veggies. Let cool slightly then add the cheese and the 3 eggs. Mix all together and then bake @ 350 for approx 1 hour. Or until it's set and slightly browned on the top.

This is kind of like quiche but with out so many eggs. You could also omit the cheese, to make it healthier! This was great for both breakfast and dinner!

For 1/4 of the 8x8 dish, it was 302 calories, 16 protein, 8 fiber, 34 carbs, 1351 potassium, and 474 sodium
  • littlemrsmosher
    littlemrsmosher Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cook it and add it to your salads, or make a quinoa salad with a vinaigrette + peppers + feta + cucumber, cook it up with cinnamon and apples for a breakfast alternative, use it as a side instead of rice, i put some in my turkey meatballs instead of bread crumbs, google quinoa cakes - they are delish!

it's great and versatile!!
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am into this one right now! I change it up a bit and add more veggies.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2011/03/recipe-for-better-than-moms-chicken.html

Also very good as a cold salad with fresh chopped veggies, fresh chopped garlic, some lime juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and fresh cilantro. I change up the amount of everything I add every time so no real recipe to follow there. I add feta with that too. Mmm mmm mmm.

Southwestern quinoa salad is also good. Quinoa, cilantro, fresh garlic, basically everything else in the first salad with addition of black beans and cumin. Again, no real recipe to follow.

:)
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I put it under my spaghetti sauce. I also like it mixed with cream of mushroom soup and boiled broccoli
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    oooooo.....this sounds very interesting!
    I love quinoa, I have it at least 3 times/week. This is what I made last night.

1/2 cup Quinoa-
    4 cups chopped Rainbow Chard -
    1.5-2 cups finely diced Onions
    Garlic Clove, 3 cloves
    3 Eggs -scrambled
    1/4 cup shredded cheese- parmesean
    1.5 tbsp Nutritional Yeast,
    2 tsp fresh chopped sage
    2 tsp dried thyme
    2 tbsp canola oil

optional- 1 Field Roast Applewood & Sage vegan sausage- diced

Cook the quinoa with about 3/4-1 cup water or broth.
    Saute the onions until translucent, add chopped garlic, add in the chard until softens.

When that's done, in a glass dish (I used 8x8) mix quinoa and veggies. Let cool slightly then add the cheese and the 3 eggs. Mix all together and then bake @ 350 for approx 1 hour. Or until it's set and slightly browned on the top.

This is kind of like quiche but with out so many eggs. You could also omit the cheese, to make it healthier! This was great for both breakfast and dinner!

For 1/4 of the 8x8 dish, it was 302 calories, 16 protein, 8 fiber, 34 carbs, 1351 potassium, and 474 sodium
  • lindoussa
    Options
    I LOVE these Mexican stuffed peppers!! http://www.onelovelylife.com/?p=4854
  • pithynutritionpun
    pithynutritionpun Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Make sure you rinse it very well in a fine mesh strainer before cooking it, it has a bitter coating. Cook 1 cup rinsed quinoa to 2 cups water, bring to boil in a medium saucepan and then reduce heat to med-low until all the water's gone. It's great as a cold salad with whatever chopped vegetables/proteins you prefer, may favourite combination is to mix it with a diced red pepper and crumbled goat cheese.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Quinoa fried rice

Cooked quinoa
    Olive oil
    2 beaten eggs
    Black pepper
    A few chilli flakes
    A red onion, diced
    Some diced/small vegetables (pepper, celery, carrots, peas, sweetcorn- whatever you like/have at hand)
    Cooked prawns or chicken (optional)

Heat oil, sautee vegetables until soft. Add egg, black pepper and chilli flakes, scramble and break up into small pieces. Add quinoa, stir. Add prawns/chicken if using. Serve with hot sauce or sriracha.
  • oukils
    oukils Posts: 20
    Options
    I really like it topped with Sauteed shrimp and spinach with lots of garlic and extra virgin olive oil. Its a big hit in our house. I agree that you can sub it for anything that calls for rice.
  • perficktangel
    perficktangel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love making a Quinoa Tabbouleh. It's so good. Probably better in the summer because you'll get better tomatoes, cucumbers & zucchini. I love the stuff.
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Make sure you rinse it very well in a fine mesh strainer before cooking it, it has a bitter coating. Cook 1 cup rinsed quinoa to 2 cups water, bring to boil in a medium saucepan and then reduce heat to med-low until all the water's gone. It's great as a cold salad with whatever chopped vegetables/proteins you prefer, may favourite combination is to mix it with a diced red pepper and crumbled goat cheese.

I didn't know you needed to rinse it the first time I cook Quinoa and it was really not good.. rinse well. I cook mine like I would cook pasta, 1 cup of Quinoa with lots of water strain after 15 minutes, let sit with cover on for another 5 minutes. That way it doesn't stick to the bottom.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I posted a few recipes on my blog and cooking tips, check it out :)
    Pretty much you can use it for anything in place of rice or noodles!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DragonflyF15/view/quinoa-435504
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    All these are awesome and I really want to try them. Got some fresh quinoa and I'm not sure what to do with it. Now I have some ideas.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I, like many others, use chicken broth or add some other form of seasoning to the water. I then saute onions, garlic, peppers, carrots, zucchini, squash, etc (whatever I can get my hands on) and add that to it after cooking. It's delicous and an easy go-to meal. I usually have some of this in the fridge all the time so I have something easy for those nights when something comes up or I have no idea what to have for lunch.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    OMG, so yummy. My fave is with sun dried tomatoes & cheese. Google it and you will have recipes-a-plenty.