running/heart rate advice

Options
Today I had an unusal running experience. My heart rate kept spiking up really high. It hit 203 at one point and stayed at 197 for a few minutes before I started to get dizzy and noticed and slowed my speed. I have been running for a good year and this has never happened before. Even in the middle of summer when it was super humid my heart rate got uncomfortable, but not nearly that high.

Good News: I burned more calories than ever.
Bad news: my miles per minute took a nose dive

What could cause this?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of things to consider:

The most obvious is that there was a malfunction of the HRM. This can happen--in the old days, coming close to a strong electrical signal (e.g. running near power lines, or sometimes even radio or tape player) could interfere w/the chest strap transmission and give you an erratic signal. These days, it's more likely due to a skin contact issue, dirty contact pads, or dying battery.

Since you reported symptoms, if those symptoms were indeed caused by a rapid heart rate (see above for why the high number on the watch is not always accurate), it is something to take a little more seriously.

Any stimulus MAY provoke an electrical disturbance in the heart that causes it to suddenly beat faster. Or, some other underlying condition can provoke such a response.

Sometimes this can be an isolated instance. If so, then no worries. If you notice it happening more often, obviously seeking medical attention is called for. Arrhymias can be benign or the markers of something more serious. While they are more often benign, there is no way to tell, so you have to use common sense--don't be overly worried, but don't ignore it if they become more frequent.

Without making too big a deal out of it, I would suggest that, if you notice this happening again, don't continue running--slow down and try to manually palpate your pulse. That will help determine whether it is a mechanical issue or physical.

Unfortunately, an increase in HR like this doesn't increase your calorie burn, so the higher number is a false one. Sorry :frown:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've had it happen a couple times. I can't figure out what it is that's causing it and it isn't a HRM malfunction because I usually feel a bit light headed and glance at my HRM and see it's stupid high all of a sudden. Both times I stopped and walked for a few minutes and I didn't die but it killed the rest of my run, probably from fear more than anything!
  • joyosplash
    Options
    Get it looked at. A doctor should do an ekg to see what your heart rate is doing. Any they can send you to a cardiologist who can run a stress test (they hook you up to ekg monitors, heart rate, and blood pressure and have you run or walk on a treadmill). Than they can see exactly what's happening and rule out anything dangerous to you.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've had it happen a couple times. I can't figure out what it is that's causing it and it isn't a HRM malfunction because I usually feel a bit light headed and glance at my HRM and see it's stupid high all of a sudden. Both times I stopped and walked for a few minutes and I didn't die but it killed the rest of my run, probably from fear more than anything!

Like I said, the causes can range from random, benign things to more serious underlying problems. All cardiac tissue has the ability to generate an electrochemical impulse. And once an impulse is generated, it spreads through the entire heart muscle and causes it to contract.

The heart has a natural pacemaker (sinus node)--an area of tissue that has a lower excitation threshold, so it normally fires off the electrical impulse first. When the impulse spreads throughout the cardiac muscle, there is a refractory period during which it cannot be restimulated. When that period subsides, the sinus node fires off another signal and restarts the process.

If another cardiac tissue area becomes irritated -- due to stress, lack of sleep, infection, electrolyte imbalance, lack of blood flow due to blocked arteries, or some other injury, it can fire off a "premature" signal that disrupts the normal electrical pattern. Usually rapid heart rates (tachycardia) originate in the upper chamber of the heart. The dizziness comes from the reduced cardiac output because the heart beats so rapidly it cannot refill with blood after each beat.

In many cases, it can be a challenge for doctors to determine the cause. That's because you are often trying to catch a moving target. Unless you report to a doctor or ER while the arrhythmia, a resting ECG is of modest value. It is only helpful is there is an underlying structural anamoly (e.g. enlarged heart) or acute ischemia (lack of blood flow). To determine the nature of an arrhythmia, doctors usually prescribe a Holter monitor. This is a device you wear for 24 hours and it records every heartbeat--it's like a continuous 24 hr ECG. Of course, it is only helpful if the arrhythmia occurs while you are wearing it--which, if it is intermittent, might not occur.

So, there is not always a clear-cut indication to seek medical attention. I would say, in general, the longer the duration of "palpitations", the greater the frequency, or the degree of symptoms experienced would be the best guide as to whether to go to the doctor.

I would definitely not continue to run or to exercise if this occurs, however, esp if you are working out hard, I would not come to a sudden stop either. Stopping suddenly can cause catecholamine levels to rise which can exacerbate any irritability.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments everyone. I will just watch it over the week and if I start to have regular problems I will head to the Doc.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    When it comes to the heart you should always err on the side of caution and get it looked out. However I am a life long HRM wearer (all brands) and this actually is pretty common. For me I feel strongly that the watch is just getting some interference from something. But it is very common or at least to me and my exercise friends
  • joyosplash
    Options
    Faceoff, I would agree with you 100% if the OP wasn't having symptoms. That's why my vote is get it looked at now. I know that there is a chance that the stress test won't trigger it, but I personally don't mess around with my heart.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Faceoff, I would agree with you 100% if the OP wasn't having symptoms. That's why my vote is get it looked at now. I know that there is a chance that the stress test won't trigger it, but I personally don't mess around with my heart.

I hope I wasnt confusing in the note I wrote. I was definitely saying she should get the symptoms looked at by the doctor. I have had the same issues with the HRM a ton and just wanted to point that out, but as you said Joy I would definitely go in now and have them run tests just to be safe. Sorry if my message was confusing at all :)