Women's weight lifting..i know NOTHING!!

Options
Someone please tell me about it and everything i need to know, i have been seeing it on here for a while all these women talking about lifting and heavy lifting and strength training but i dont know anything about it. Im sorry if this seems like a stupid post but i would really like to add some muscle on top of losing fat. I dont want to get huge and way bulked up just fit and lean. So what all do i need to know where should i start what kind of lifting do i do im literally a blank slate when it comes to this subject im new to working out as it is...but with lifting weights all i can think of is bench pressing and bicep curls haha

Replies

• nass09
    nass09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know. Bump
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, it's pretty much the same as weightlifting for men, except for the fact that when we do it, we don't look like hulking giants.

If you're into DVDs, I recommend ChaLEAN Extreme. If you're more of a book person, I recommend "New Rules of Lifting for Women" (also known as NROFW)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Get a copy of the book, "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift like a Man, Look Like a Goddess." You can buy it online. I actually checked it out at my local library. It is a wonderful starting point.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Someone please tell me about it and everything i need to know, i have been seeing it on here for a while all these women talking about lifting and heavy lifting and strength training but i dont know anything about it. Im sorry if this seems like a stupid post but i would really like to add some muscle on top of losing fat. I dont want to get huge and way bulked up just fit and lean. So what all do i need to know where should i start what kind of lifting do i do im literally a blank slate when it comes to this subject im new to working out as it is...but with lifting weights all i can think of is bench pressing and bicep curls haha

you would have to be a freak of nature to have enough testosterone huge and way bulked up.

Are you planning on working out at a gym? I work out at the local Y. My chiropractor actually told me to start doing barbell squats. I went in to the Y and asked the trainer to please show me how and to watch my form to make sure I would not hurt myself. About a month ago I started with 60 pounds, yesterday I did 80 pounds.

I saw a girl doing the leg press and told her I wanted to be able to do it one day, and she showed me how! The first day I did 118 pounds....today I did 228 pounds!

I saw the fitness monitor doing overhead presses on his off day, so the next time he worked, I asked him to show me how.

if you have the cash, I would suggest getting a few personal training sessions to set up a routine for you to follow. I want to do more strength stuff, but I do not have the cash for a trainer...
  • thekat78
    thekat78 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Free weights are the gift of fitness! I would suggest getting with actual women around you that do it and love it. Or, you could get into my friends list. I have a ton of people on there that would be able to give you plenty of help and support. I lift heavy all the time. The basic lifts are the life of fitness. Spuats, Deadlifts, Bench Press. Your body will shape and mold so much better if you add strength training to your routine! Also, finding a gym you're comfortable with that has people you feel comfortable talking to would help you! There are a few gyms in my home town that have personal insrtuctors that will willingly give you advice for free. :) You can always message me or ask me questions!
  • thekat78
    thekat78 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on working out at a gym? I work out at the local Y. My chiropractor actually told me to start doing barbell squats. I went in to the Y and asked the trainer to please show me how and to watch my form to make sure I would not hurt myself. About a month ago I started with 60 pounds, yesterday I did 80 pounds.

I saw a girl doing the leg press and told her I wanted to be able to do it one day, and she showed me how! The first day I did 118 pounds....today I did 228 pounds!

I saw the fitness monitor doing overhead presses on his off day, so the next time he worked, I asked him to show me how.

Yes!! Form is everything!! And NEVER be afraid to ask questions!!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    NEW
    Rules
    Of
    Lifting
    For
    Women
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

you would have to be a freak of nature to have enough testosterone huge and way bulked up.

if you have the cash, I would suggest getting a few personal training sessions to set up a routine for you to follow. I want to do more strength stuff, but I do not have the cash for a trainer...

I live in rural alaska in a tiny little town, we dont have a gym here i would have to do everything at home the closest gym is about 3hrs away :( oh how i miss washington sometimes lol i just moved up here last year so im still getting used to being out in the middle of nowhere!!
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    dont lift like a girl, LIFT LIKE A MAN
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What about the different machines? The ones that target different muscles- the nautilus circuits? I've been using those again, will that get similar results to actual weight lifting?
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    From what I have learned it's almost impossible for a woman who lifts heavy to BULK up.... I love lifting heavy weights. It has increased my energy and endurance. I'm not dropping tons of weight yet, but I feel so much better about myself. I encourage you to study up and go for it. Every woman should do strength training anyhow, increasing the weight just makes it more challenging. Good luck
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I started out with a kettle bell routine. I have a personal trainer, but there are several youtube videos that show you how to do it. My trainer has the girl that lifts with me use the kettle bells instead of the bar bell.

I live in rural alaska in a tiny little town, we dont have a gym here i would have to do everything at home the closest gym is about 3hrs away :( oh how i miss washington sometimes lol i just moved up here last year so im still getting used to being out in the middle of nowhere!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    What about the different machines? The ones that target different muscles- the nautilus circuits? I've been using those again, will that get similar results to actual weight lifting?

Machines are better than nothing, but they aren't as good as lifting free weights. With free weights, your muscles have a wider range of movement, and it works more muscles at a time. With machines, only specific muscles are targeted, while the rest of your muscles are not being used.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

There are tons of videos on the Interweb that will show you proper form.
  • amyswims
    Options
    I suggest checking out Oxygen fitness mag... The articles are written by trained nutritionist, personal trainers/exercise science people who have an actual degree in this type of field. You can even google the author's name and find out their level of education and background. I have been consistently impressed with their knowledge. There is also a website related to the oxygen mag.

For those of you who question the widsom of strength training... It doesn't just build muscle. It improves circulatory system, nervous system, lowers blood cholestrol and pressure, improves bone mass, revs up your metabolism engine, improves libido, increases blood and oxygen flow to and from your brain. It does so much for a person. It's like milk- It does a body good! :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start. That's how I started. In the end I decided I didn't love the routine so I do something else now, but it was a great read and gave me a really good idea for a beginner program. I have made a lot of progress since then.
  • faireplay
    Options

I have been told by two people who do free weights that the machines won't do anything for me but I am very weak in my upper body and when I started on the machines 6 weeks ago I was doing the lowest weight possible on almost every upper body machine. I am still only doing small numbers but they are over double where I started and my biceps are starting to look pretty good :-)
    I want to transition to free weights eventually but the machines are a good place for me right now.
  • ctbloom
    Options
    I've trained quite a few people and I'd say to start out, do a simple full body workout, every other day. It's good to get your core lifts down before doing other stuff. As simple as it gets when ya begin is what your looking for. A very good sample is:

Bench press- 3 sets of 10 reps.
    Squats- 3 sets of 10 reps.
    deadlift- 3 sets of 10 reps.
    barbell row- 3 sets of 10 reps.

I honestly wish that I'd began doing this because it hits all 4 core lifts which combined, hit all muscle groups and since they're compound lifts, it burns a lot of calories. Just be careful and focus on form, not the weight!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options

Unless you're planning to take steroids you won't "bulk" up. It's not in the female hormones to bulk. Since you are a beginner here are a few links to help you get started:

http://www.niashanks.com/2011/12/11-beginner-strength-training-tips-women/

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/build-strength/strength-training-for-beginners/

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/easiest-strength-training-plan-ever

http://www.gymjunkies.com/beginners-workout-plan/

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/a/begstrength.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/110864-beginner-weight-training-women/

Take it slow and don't try to over do it...remember it isn't a race and there is always the next workout; you do not have to try to fix everything in the first workout. This is a common mistake by beginners and advanced alike; they overdo a workout and then they can't move for a week. :smile: Don't do that! Take it slow...the weights will still be there the next time.

Edit - I do have a lot of my own workout routines if you're interested. I've been training for about 23 years...I will say I wasn't always as slim as I am now, though. :smile: I am married to a chef.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    actually i do a thread about this topic and here it is

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/812446-ladies-and-weight-lifting