Zumba

Options
Hi I just have a question I just did Zumba but I don't know what to put it under for my workouts. Nothing comes up and there are a few different dancing ones ?? It was a latin/salsa dance ?? Please help!

Replies

• ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I count it as high impact aerobics.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Go with dancing aerobic, but the problem with zumba...which I love and also teach! is everyone burns those zumba cals differently, with an HRM you'll know your true burn..mine is only 288 for an hour, but a my daughter burns over 350.
  • imagymrat
    Options
    I count it as high impact aerobics.

high impact? zumba? there's no jumping or power moves...do you do it differently?

editing here, because I think I came off a little rude there, and didn't mean to be...i'm really curious to know other people's style of Zumba. High impact for an entire solid hour would be very hard for most people to do. Zumba isn't meant to be high impact at all, that's why i'm asking.
  • ZacharysMom
    Options
    I didn't do anything high impact. It was pretty much salsa dancing. Let me tell you it wore me out too :( It was my first time doing it!
  • imagymrat
    Options
    I love Zumba so much I decided to become a certified instructor, you sound like you did an actual Zumba class, some Zumba classes don't follow the teaching and end up more like a cardio pump class then a true zumba/dance class. Get yourself a heart rate monitor, it's a godsend for tracking calories burned and youll stop the guess work.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think there is confusion over high impact and heavy. I was just reading a book by The CalorieKing and in that book "only those sports or activities that are sustained over a period of time (e.g. running) qualify for heavy exercise. This book also specificially states that Zuma is "heavy" and is also grouped with 'strenuous' dancing. I am going with that! :smile:
  • imagymrat
    Options
    I think there is confusion over high impact and heavy. I was just reading a book by The CalorieKing and in that book "only those sports or activities that are sustained over a period of time (e.g. running) qualify for heavy exercise. This book also specificially states that Zuma is "heavy" and is also grouped with 'strenuous' dancing. I am going with that! :smile:

heavy and high aren't even close to being the same thing, but the more you do it, the less intense zumba becomes unless you start adding hand weights/ankle weights or really bumping up your moves. It's still not high impact, regardless
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I understand that they are not the same. Do to physcial problems high impact is pretty much out for me. I understood the question to be more of one relating to how high of a calorie scorcher zumba is. For me, as a beginner, it is up there in burning calories as any high impact activity and that is what I was trying to explain what the book was saying. I live for the day zumba is not as intense for me. That will mean its working!!!
  • Scoobees
    Scoobees Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Zumba classes differ quite a bit. Our instructor told me that when she got certified, only a certain percentage of the class had to be true Zumba. Ours is quite high impact with some turbo kick moves and jumping involved. It might sound strange, but wow! What a workout! But I'm guessing if someone is a true Zumba fan, it might not be their cup of tea.
  • teb1215
    Options
    Yeah the zumba class I took last week had jumping jack moves and a ton of super fast feet motion that kept my heart just racing! She told us at the end of 60 minutes that we burned over 600 calories. So it sounds like they are all different.