Way under eating/calories....

Options
I just joined yesterday and already I have numerous friends on this site (YAY), but I'm getting discouraged by many of the people who are eating so little.
I am looking through food diaries for ideas and not many people have them open. I've noticed a trend of them severally under eating, one lady eats half her daily allotment or less.
I want to do this right, exercise daily and eat right.
Does anyone have tips or suggestions?
Thank you :happy:

Replies

• bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Well don't do what they're doing! Haha. Eat what MFP says to eat! I like to eat back some of my exercise calories, but I worry that they overestimate how much I've burned, so I try to only eat back when and if I'm hungry. :) Don't worry so much about how much others are eating because people have different goals and different things work for different people, but just look to get actual food ideas. Start with MFP's plans and then change them up if you think it is necessary after a few months.
  • kaputch1980
    kaputch1980 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely gonna eat the amounts they tell me to. I am starting off slow with exercising due to back problems, but I am trying not to eat those calories just yet. I would like suggestions on foods to eat, meals plans and recipes though. Was hoping looking through food diaries would help, but not many people have open diaries.
    Do you have suggestions on where to look for these things?
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    do a search on the message board..are tons of recipes
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    i delete ppl who are negative influences with eating or mood. i hate logging on and seeing ppl complain about life and issues everyday or multiple times a day. im not saying ppl cant vent and thats fine every once and a while cuz thats life, but when i see it so much it brings my mood down and thats not good,

as for recipes i suggest if u have a smart phone join instagram its amazing
  • MCO1407
    MCO1407 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've noticed pals drop off after awhile. I really enjoy the pals that are logging in very often and adding comments when they can. Knowing that everyone is working on their own level helps to keep me going. If someone is eating little to no calories how long can that go on. Looking forward to hear your progress and updates.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I defriend anyone who is starving themselves. Don't need or want the negative influence. These are the kinds of diets that fail in the end.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! My diary is open and I eat plenty! :bigsmile:

I found this topic to be very helpful in setting my goals, and finding the right amount of calories, protein, carbs, fats, etc, and manually changed my settings here at MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It may seem overwhelming when you've just joined MFP, but I didn't find the thread until I had been here awhile, and I wish I had found it much sooner! So figured I'd pass it along. Give it a read through - great info there.

(P.S. - your diary isn't open either! :tongue:)
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Well don't do what they're doing! Haha. Eat what MFP says to eat! I like to eat back some of my exercise calories, but I worry that they overestimate how much I've burned, so I try to only eat back when and if I'm hungry. :) Don't worry so much about how much others are eating because people have different goals and different things work for different people, but just look to get actual food ideas. Start with MFP's plans and then change them up if you think it is necessary after a few months.

^ EXACTLY! I hate it when I see food diaries and it's nothing but junk food or they barely consume 1000 calories!

I'd love to help you out! :flowerforyou:
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    While I agree that eating below can be dangerous, some people are being treated by doctors, so it's best not to pass judgment on others. Just focus on your goals, and don't worry about other people.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just joined yesterday and already I have numerous friends on this site (YAY), but I'm getting discouraged by many of the people who are eating so little.
    I am looking through food diaries for ideas and not many people have them open. I've noticed a trend of them severally under eating, one lady eats half her daily allotment or less.
    I want to do this right, exercise daily and eat right.
    Does anyone have tips or suggestions?
    Thank you :happy:

i'm with you, i deleted pretty much all of my friends because they were consistently eating next to nothing. i'd get all excited seeing a bunch of entries, and then it would all be coffee, sweeteners, and crystal light. very discouraging. and i don't know if people who respond to their entries actually look at them, cause they all say what a good job they did. like.... yay, you ate coffee all day! good for you!
  • wellisawstars
    wellisawstars Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My diary is private, but I love to eat my full calorie allotment. :) Here's an idea of the foods I eat regularly:

- Oatmeal. With a banana, it really holds me through the morning.
    - Soups. Black bean is my favorite, although I will occasionally go for non-beef chili or gumbo.
    - Homemade sandwiches. I use low-calorie wheat bread and pile on veggies, mustard and lean deli meats such as turkey.
    - I recently fell in love with freeze-dried fruit. A small package of freeze-dried strawberries from Target is only 25 calories, and it's a nice pick-me-up with low-fat string cheese.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends, feel free to send a request. I eat plenty, not always the best food, but I rarely skip a meal and I'm making better choices than I did a few months ago. Be forewarned...I don't deprive myself of my wine, but I never go hungry either.
  • Nique85
    Nique85 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i'm still learning about the calories earned back from exercise, so I adjusted them and made them lower. However, I do eat plenty so you can add me if you would like!
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options
    Delete them - seriously. Thats what I have been doing. My diary is open to friends and I eat lots - and I lose weight and exercise alot.
  • scopper1
    scopper1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am new to the site. I have been entering virtually every bite for the past week and most days it tells me I am under calories. But I am finding that I am not hungry or dizzy and really trying to eat sensibly. I also have a blood sugar issue I am trying to get under control but I am having a hard time finding out what I should be eating and how much of it. I don't starve myself, actually far from it, but I am just not meeting the calories MFP suggests. Perhaps I need to change my settings?
  • kaputch1980
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! My diary is open and I eat plenty! :bigsmile:

I found this topic to be very helpful in setting my goals, and finding the right amount of calories, protein, carbs, fats, etc, and manually changed my settings here at MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It may seem overwhelming when you've just joined MFP, but I didn't find the thread until I had been here awhile, and I wish I had found it much sooner! So figured I'd pass it along. Give it a read through - great info there.

(P.S. - your diary isn't open either! :tongue:)

Thank you Amy, I will have to checkout this link and see what I can do. Day 2 and doing great so far! :-)
    I also changed my food diary, I thought I had changed it Monday night...but it didn't, but it's done now. Thanks again :-)
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    mines open and i like to eat my cals!
  • kaputch1980
    Options
    i'm with you, i deleted pretty much all of my friends because they were consistently eating next to nothing. i'd get all excited seeing a bunch of entries, and then it would all be coffee, sweeteners, and crystal light. very discouraging. and i don't know if people who respond to their entries actually look at them, cause they all say what a good job they did. like.... yay, you ate coffee all day! good for you!

I might be crazy, but I don't feel that's healthy and I don't do fat free, low fat or diet anything. It's just horrible for you! I agree with you, I notice all these people saying "good job", and "way to go"...but their food diaries have next to nothing in them. How can you have a support system, but the support doesn't really look to help you? Thank you for friending me, I will be a true supporter! :wink:
  • kaputch1980
    Options
    My diary is private, but I love to eat my full calorie allotment. :) Here's an idea of the foods I eat regularly:

- Oatmeal. With a banana, it really holds me through the morning.
    - Soups. Black bean is my favorite, although I will occasionally go for non-beef chili or gumbo.
    - Homemade sandwiches. I use low-calorie wheat bread and pile on veggies, mustard and lean deli meats such as turkey.
    - I recently fell in love with freeze-dried fruit. A small package of freeze-dried strawberries from Target is only 25 calories, and it's a nice pick-me-up with low-fat string cheese.

Thank you for the food tips, I love all these things and will try to eat more of them. I eat a banana everyday, and getting into the cold months Oatmeal is a staple. :smile:
    Black beans...LOVE!
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    You need to keep in mind that a lot of people don't log everything or simply don't go back to yesterdays log to finish it.