Anxiety Medication = Weight Gain? NEED HELP

Options
Hi there,
So for the past month or so, I have been trying a new anxiety/depression medication; venlafaxine. The first two weeks, I took a smaller dose once a day, and felt immediate results. My appetite and hunger stayed the same. After two weeks, I started taking a larger dose, 75 mg, in the morning. My mood felt a little worse, and my hunger increased severely. I increased my calorie intake from 1200 to 1250; a slight change and hoping it would fill me up. Still, nothing worked. I felt constantly hungry, and stayed the same weight, even though I have been going to the gym 5x a week burning 500 calories a session. I feel lost and confused. Somebody help?

Replies

• Madelinew22
    Options
    so ur eating 1200 calories and burning 500 leaving 700 net? correct
  • everysn0wflake
    Options
    My net is still 1200 calories.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I took zoloff before and lost 30 lbs without even trying, maybe you could ask your DR if it is something you could try?
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    maybe u need more food, or yes the med can do it, thats why i stopped taking zoloft, prozac all that stuff, but my anxiety is only social anxiety and i just have a med i take as needed and it hasnt effect me, but i only Take it once a week, maybe talk to ur doc about side affects, i no low libido is a huge bad side affect for me lol good luck hun as long as ur not gaining right??
  • everysn0wflake
    Options
    I told him about my increased appetite, and he told me that it will go away eventually. I been experimenting with anti-depressants for a while, trying to find one that's suitable.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Definitely call your doctor but don't stop taking it on your own. Effexor can cause a rough discontinuation syndrome. There are lots of different anxiety and mood medicines that can help. Sometimes unfortunately there is some trial and error in what will affect weight and appetite and other things too of course.
  • everysn0wflake
    Options
    I have been considering discontinuing it, and I agree. It might just be a matter of time before I find the best one.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Oops cross posted. Try looking up foods that are known to contribute to satiety. You probably need to increase your calories, not because of starvation mode per say but because you are feeling hungry and moody. Work out what your maintenance is and you should be able to eat up to that without gaining. Keep using MFP to show your doctor what you've been doing if you are gaining or still unhappy after a time.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor and discuss your reactions. It sounds like you were well served by the lower dose.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    PS if you are working with a GP and not a psychiatrist ask for a referral to a psychiatrist. Good luck!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Are you still consuming the same amount of food and exercising the same amount? Medicine can't change the laws of thermodynamics.
  • everysn0wflake
    Options
    I've also had a history of fighting bulimia and anorexia. I'm particularly worried that if I do eat over a specific limit, that I will gain. I tried telling myself that my body is hungry for nutrients it needs. I have another question to ask :embarassed: would I gain any weight if I eat until I'm satisfied? Stupid question, I know. But if I'm still hungry and I'm eating over my calorie limit, is there a possibility I would gain weight. :embarassed:
  • everysn0wflake
    Options
    Are you still consuming the same amount of food and exercising the same amount? Medicine can't change the laws of thermodynamics.
    I'm consuming, roughly, the same amount of food. My exercising has increased a little bit, but I'm eating for what I lost.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Satisfaction is a nebulous concept. If you ate chicken breasts until you couldn't fit one more in or you'd be sick, you'd eat 600 calories of protein. If you ate donuts until you couldn't fit one more in you'd eat about 1500 calories of donuts.
  • Madelinew22
    Options
    I've also had a history of fighting bulimia and anorexia. I'm particularly worried that if I do eat over a specific limit, that I will gain. I tried telling myself that my body is hungry for nutrients it needs. I have another question to ask :embarassed: would I gain any weight if I eat until I'm satisfied? Stupid question, I know. But if I'm still hungry and I'm eating over my calorie limit, is there a possibility I would gain weight. :embarassed:

if ur eating junk, its possible but if its veggies and lean meat or fish, prob not
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    I'm consuming, roughly, the same amount of food. My exercising has increased a little bit, but I'm eating for what I lost.

I feel like I say this a thousand times a day, but you may not be eating enough.

Higher protein breakfasts and more frequent smaller meals may help. But please consider reading this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your psychiatrist about trying the lower dose for longer, just to give it a try.
    I know 75 or 150 is the typical optimum dose for effexor but if you do well on lower, try to stay there.
    But please be careful when stepping up/down on dosage on this Rx. Work with your doctor closely. It's a bear, really.
    Good luck!
  • everysn0wflake
    Options

if ur eating junk, its possible but if its veggies and lean meat or fish, prob not
    Junk is cut out of my health. I don't eat meat with the exception of fish, so that leaves me usually of 1200 calories of fruits and veggies.
  • pinky_pie
    Options
    Are you on the slow release Effexor? That's the medication that I'm on, and I've been on it before. I experience nausea so I take it at night so it doesn't affect me during the day as much. It takes 6-8 weeks for this medication to take full effect on the dose you are supposed to be on.

Do NOT stop taking this drug - you need to be tapered off as the side effects are significant. I've withdrawn off this drug before.

I did not experience any significant weight gain while on this medication.
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had the same reaction last summer, and I eventually switched meds. I thought I'd be okay with the potential weight gain before I started taking it, but once it started I freaked.