WARNING! POLAR HEART RATE MONITORS DEFECTIVE!

Options
Here’s the scoop. I’ve been using the Polar FT7 since July. During that time I’ve had my weight set at 326 pounds, and have logged 132 hours on my FT7. My average calorie burn per minute was 6.5 calories per minute with an average heart rate of about 109. I thought that was abnormally low considering my weight and was always bothered by it.

Then I bought another Polar FT7 thinking maybe I had a defective one. Guess what? Same results only about 6.5 calories burned per minute.

Then I reset the one of the watches for 190 pounds two weeks ago on a hunch. Logged my results for a week and guess what? My calories burned per minute went to 8.1 per minute with the same 109 heart rate.

In other words my calorie burn went UP from 6.5 calories burned per minute to 8.1 calories per minute at the same heart rate when my weight was reduced on the watch from 326 to 190. This is impossible of course in reality. The watch is not accurate for calories burned at my heart rate.

I did the same experiment with the 2nd watch. Same results. My calorie burn went UP from 6.5 calories burned per minute to 8.1 calories per minute at the same heart rate when my weight was reduced on the watch from 326 to 190 on the 2nd watch as well!

Conclusion: The formulas used to calculate calories for people at higher weights are NOT even close to being accurate.

I would like to ask other Polar heart rate monitors users to do the same experiment. I suspect this problem is widespread. This is a huge product defect and the product should be recalled. Please report back to this post your results of your own “experiment. Also, it may not be for just my model. Please do the experiment for any Polar watch.

Replies

• mystry11
    Options
    Buuuuuump
  • so_losin_it
    so_losin_it Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That's interesting....and crappy! Let us know if you find a brand that is more accurate.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    let me know what you think if you get a chance to look at it.
  • peterdt
    Options
    I will let you know. But I think the problem is at higher weights. At 190 pounds it looks accurate.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is surprising! I use a New Balance GPS Marathon, and for my weight and age (126 lbs, 26 yrs) it seems fairly accurate.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The weight probably rolls over at 256 (1 byte).
  • peterdt
    Options
    the problem is only at higher weights I think. Would like to get more feedback from others though.
  • peterdt
    Options
    huh? is that a joke?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Before you go claiming that these products are defective, are you wearing them properly? IE, getting the strap wet before using and making sure it's tight enough?

I'm sorry, but at 326 pounds, I highly doubt you can push yourself very hard to get your heart rate up very high without getting out of breath fast... so I can see why it would be lower for someone who is heavier.

Plus calories burned on an HRM have only a fraction to do with weight... the rest comes of from your heart rate, weight, age, etc.

ETA: I see now you said average heart rate... which as I pointed out, for a heavier person could be normal depending on their aerobic fitness.
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but at 326 pounds, I highly doubt you can push yourself very hard to get your heart rate up very high without getting out of breath fast... so I can see why it would be lower for someone who is heavier.

He was using the same monitor at whatever weight he is now and doing the same workout with just the settings on the watch different. So the heart rate is the same. the calculation of the calories expended is different.

And people at 326 are perfectly capable of getting their heart rate up.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The weight probably rolls over at 256 (1 byte).

I'd almost accept that as a logical answer. Memory is so cheap I bet they get a normal byte (8 bits) so as long as you weigh under 2,147,483,647 pounds you'll be okay.

Seriously, don't know. Works fine for me at 210.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Mine seems perfectly logical - the calorie burn has reduced as I've lost weight.

I would suggest contacting Polar directly.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    The formula thatt anyone uses for calorie burn gets all wacky the further out of shape you get, this would be true for any HRM brand. The way to be more effective with a HRM is to get your heart rate tested vs your breathing. This way your heart rate is connected to your activity level. My HRM is so much more accurate since I was tested like this vs just using the basic forumla for a woman my weight.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Have you contacted Polar's tech support people about this?
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Mine seems perfectly logical - the calorie burn has reduced as I've lost weight.

The burn goes down as you become more cardio fit not because you have lost weight. Running 3 miles unfit will result in a higher HR average. Running the same 3 miles as a more cardio fit person your burn will go down because you are not pushing your cardio level as you once were. Weight is not involved with that part of it. However, one should change the settings in the HRM when their weight changes.
  • peterdt
    Options
    Before you go claiming that these products are defective, are you wearing them properly? IE, getting the strap wet before using and making sure it's tight enough?

Plus calories burned on an HRM have only a fraction to do with weight... the rest comes of from your heart rate, weight, age, etc.

ETA: I see now you said average heart rate... which as I pointed out, for a heavier person could be normal depending on their aerobic fitness.

Your response show that you neither thoroughly read my post.

Of course I know the proper use of my HRM. I have had times when it does NOT function properly, but it is quite obvious as the reading become way out of kilter, or don't register at all.

Are you serious? Can't get my heart rate up for a significant amount of time for a person my size. My average workout session is 90 minutes sustained at an average of 109. seems that you no idea what people at that weight are capable of.

this is a link to the algorithm most widely accepted for calorie burn.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/453151-how-to-calculate-amount-of-calories-burned/

Run the numbers and you will see that weight is by far the most important factor in weight loss. Besides all the other variable remained constant in my data. The only thing that varied is the weight. So my results are very reliable.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    So, at lower weights, is it still accurate or is the claim that this issue affects all people of all sizes who use this product?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Have you contacted Polar's tech support people about this?

This^

I've been using a Polar FT7 for 2 years. I've been around 280-300 lbs during that time. The calorie burns seem normal compared the previous HRM's that I've used, and I've had success maintaining/losing my weight when I use those calorie burns along with MFP. (You know, when I actually follow the program) My only agrivation with the FT7 is changing the battery.

And yes, there are people who weigh 300 lbs that can do steady state cardio, not very fast, but it can be done.
  • peterdt
    Options

The burn goes down as you become more cardio fit not because you have lost weight. Running 3 miles unfit will result in a higher HR average. Running the same 3 miles as a more cardio fit person your burn will go down because you are not pushing your cardio level as you once were. Weight is not involved with that part of it. However, one should change the settings in the HRM when their weight changes.

Point taken. But calories burned has everything to do with heart rate? this is widely accepted. When you get more fit your heart rate gets slower and thus you burn less calories if all other variables are the same.

You do understand that right?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Weight absolutely is involved in the equation. It went down for BOTH reasons. My average HR has gone down, but not as significantly as my weight. I change my HRM settings every 10 pounds. I actually set it for 10 lbs. less than I really weigh, and then once I reach that weight, put it down 10 more lbs.