When will I see lots of weight loss around my thighs/bum?

Options
Hi,

There is a sentence on

http://www.superskinnyme.com/slim_legs.html

that women's legs start to become skinny at a body fat percentage of 18%.
I can't find any references to the percentage for men. Can someone please tell me and/or point me to a reference on
the internet for something similar for men. I want to know when I can expect lots of weight loss around legs/bum.

The reason I ask is that I have come down in weight from around 30% to about 23% bodyfat and have gone from being a size 40inch in jeans to 38 inch. The 38inch is still a bit tight in straight jeans, but a loose style they are fine. I am trying to work out if there is some point where I will start to loose a lot more on the legs, will this happen at say 18%, 15%?
I have lost a lot of weight from around my tummy/chest/arms and most of my old XXL shirts now appear very baggy/loose on me and I am in the process of getting XL shirts.

I have lost size around my thighs and bum as all my suit pants are so much looser fitting. I user to wear size 34 jeans when I was in the early/mid 20's but have no idea of my body fat percentage then, or my weight (I think it was around 85kg).

Thanks for your help,

Tony

Note: I am 178cm high.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Where your body stores fat is based on genetics, therefore no one here can give you an accurate answer. You just have to lose more weight and hope it comes off where you want it to come off.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    Where your body stores fat is based on genetics, therefore no one here can give you an accurate answer. You just have to lose more weight and hope it comes off where you want it to come off.
    ^ This. There's no set point for men (or women) at which you'll lose fat/size/girth from a certain part of your body.
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't be of more assistance, but I can at least sympathize. You and I have remarkably similar stats. I'm 235, wear an XL shirt down from 3x, and wear size 38 pants down from 52.

It's an awkward size to buy clothes in and look good. I bought a really cool pair of black jeans in size 34 yesterday knowing I can't fit into them yet just because they were on sale and it'll motivate me to work towards putting them on. But, like you said, my butt and thighs were my major impediment in that endeavor. I keep telling myself I'm going to start squats, I need to get on the ball.

You can't "spot lose" but at the very least squats will help with definition while you wait for your body to decide to shrink your posterior.

I also dared to try on a Large shirt. It fit but I looked like a cartoon fat guy from the '40s or something so I guess I'm not quite ready for that yet.

Anyways, best of luck. Take heart in that you aren't the only fellow trying to decrease his thighs and bottom :-)
  • Claire_x90
    Options
    lol my bodyfat is like 26% and I just started noticing... (I am a woman though so I guess men could have a lower point since their bf is usually lower)

my experience from yoyo dieting and continuous weightloss and gain is that it's always the last area to get on board!