My Thyroid is gone,will i be able to lose weight?

I know that i've asked this before. but i'm so worried and freaked out. please offer me some comfort and good advice. i had my thyroid removed about 3 months back, been gaining a lot of weight since. i recently have been started on synthyroid to get my thyroid hormones back to normal. my main question is, once my hormones are back to normal, in normal range, i should be able to lose weight right? some people in my family like to scare me and say that i will never be able to lose weight ever again, because of my thyroid problems? but my doctor tells me i should be able to lose weight just like any one else once my levels are back to normal? is this true? please share your experiences. thanks so much. i'm just so worried and scared. i've always been a skinny girl. and i don't want to get bigger.

Replies

• If your doc says you can lose weight, you can lose weight. Your doc will always overrule family and friends.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Yep. Have a good friend with Hashimoto's who is losing weight without issue. As long as your thyroid levels are OK, you'll be fine.