New dad new to the site

Options
Hey everyone. As of October 15th, I am a new (and first time) father at 27 years old. I've always been a stockier build, but the last 4-5 years I have gone from a stocky build to truly overweight. Having this new responsibility has really jump started my desire to get into better shape, not only for myself, but so that i'm around for the long haul for her. I have a great support group around me with my incredible wife and loving family, but I finally want to do this for me. I've never been professionally trained, but I consider myself a pretty decent cook. If anybody has any low cal full flavor recipes, I would love to share my own with you guys too.

Wish me luck. My wife and baby girl deserve a healthier man in their life, and this website is just one of the tools I plan on using to get there.

Thanks for reading,
Stdavis53

Replies

• nudenut9
    nudenut9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All the best mate
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they are lucky to have you!

Great motivation :)
  • murphey05
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! The site is great and it is great you have such a strong support at home also! Add me as a friend if you like and we can support and motivate each other. I am kind of in the same boat, but I have three daughters and a wonderful wife who need a healthier dad.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Welcome and all the best to you on your journey.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Congrats and Welcome I haven't been here that long but try skinnytaste.com
  • Goodluck! Babies change everything. Sounds like you have your head screwed on right and that they are lucky to have you in their lives. xx
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I've been here just over a year and found it invaluable. Make sure you log your food honestly (by which I mean weigh it, don't guess!), and DO log the bad stuff as it's eyeopening sometimes. Take it day as it comes, and soon you will get where you want!

Congratulations on the little one, sounds like you have a lovely little family unit there to support you on the way!:flowerforyou:
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    You are in the same boat as me, except i can't cook. You should read my profile. You basicilly said the same as i did. Feel free to add me and we can yell at each other when we slip and congratulate when we have a good day.
  • Tebbspcad
    Options
    Hi, I use MFP everyday - it's invaluable!

One of my favourite recipes is:

Spinach and courgette Lasagne
    Serves 6
    4 courgette
    1 onion
    2 gloves Garlic
    1 egg
    fry light
    180g pack baby leaf spinach
    400g chopped tomatoes
    salt and pepper
    2x200g pot fat free natural fromage frais
    100g quark
    pinch of nutmeg
    12 lasagne sheets
    1- Pre heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 and prepare the ingredients: trim and cut the courgette into bite size cubes, peel and fineky chop onion, peel and crush garlic, lightly beat the egg
    2- Spray a pan with fry light and cook the courgette, onion and garlic fro 4 mins Add the spinach and tomatoes, season well and cook for 6 mins stirring often.
    Meanwhile ,mix together the fromage Frais, quark, egg and nutmeg until smooth and season well
    3- Spray a rectangular dish with frylight and spoon half the courgette mixture into the base. Top with 6 lasagne sheets and spread over half the fromage frais mixture. Top with the remaining courgette mixture and lasagne sheets and finish with a layer of fromage frais mixture.
    Bake in the oven for 25-30 mins until the top is golden

I usually deviate from this recipe slightly (I use low fat cheese & sometimes add in mushrooms or quorn for a different taste) and actually divide this into 8 rather than 6 and have home made chips or extra veggies with this to reduce the calorie content.

Happy Baking and I wish you well on your weight loss journey :happy:
  • pipos15
    Options
    Hey you welcome buddy well i am also newbie here
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! Nice to see the "younger" bunch taking responsibility. Hope you have great success!!!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck to you! You're at a an exciting and challenging time in life, and this is a great time to be refocusing on your health - you'll need the energy with a young family.
  • FestusB
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I really like it. The support from the folks on here is wonderful! I know you can do it and this is a step in the right direction.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the new arrival. Hopefully she is sleeping through the night!
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Its great to know that this is an active community! Definitely appreciate all the friend requests and recipes etc. Being a stay at home dad is going to be fun/exciting/exhausting. I feel like its going to be a challenge to get all the steps I need, (I use a Fitbit as another tool) but we'll see!

Again, thanks for the welcome and i'm happy to be here!
    Stdavis
  • martsgon
    Options
    Hi! I'm also a new dad and hoping to get into better shape. It's tempting to eat junk in the middle of the night in between diaper changes. And the binge urge is even greater without enough sleep. So this should help... hopefully!

Add me up and let's do this!!!
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Older Dad and recently returned to MFP. Welcome!
  • gac3shades
    gac3shades Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, except a little older. I'll be 38 soon and my twins were born last June (3 months early). They were in the hospital for a while and we pretty much ate hospital food/vending machines while they were in the hospital. They are both home and doing well. Our eating habits are not the best. I don't eat consistently and I eat poorly. (5'6" 210 lbs). I need to find healthy alternatives. Any advice and ideas are appreciated!

Thanks
  • Juggernaut_D
    Juggernaut_D Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was a father at 24, and now I have three kids and I'm 42. It's smart that you're battling the weight now, because with each kid, you have less and less time! Good for you, new Dad!
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    good for you! We all need to take time out for ourselves. I am a better mom to my kids when i get some me time!!! I try to do my workouts before they wake up! ;)