Turning 40 in a month and feeling it

Options
Hey all, I am turning 40 in a month and have been starting to feel it. I am looking to reverse the pattern of weight gain and poor fitness and am determined to feel younger as the years go on. Any advice and support is welcome.

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    IMO exercise is the key. I was also feeling more than my age. I woke up in the morning and everything hurt. I had painful knees, my back ached and it took me a while to get going. Yes I really felt my age. Then I found mfp. I started eating right and exercising and the differece it has made is astounding.

Of all my friends I was just the overweight one that struggled along (I wasn't that much overweight either). Now I am the fit one (still some lbs to go but getting there). My fitness levels have gone through the roof. If I can feel like this at 61 think how much better you could feel at 40. Do your research and find what works for you and go for it.

Good luck.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Don't say no to exercise. I spent many years doing just that. Starting 11/11 I told myself I would not say no to exercise. I hired a trainer and the rest is history. I'm in better shape now that I was 20 years ago. So, I'd say just start there. I started with 2 30 minute sessions a week. Now I do exercise 4-5 days a week for 60-90 minutes. When I first started I thought "I don't have time for this." Now I wonder why I thought that. I work it into my day just fine.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I started on mfp a few months ago and also started the couch to 5k running programme. I'm 45 and I couldn't even run for a bus before I started :) Now I can manage 20mins without stopping and I feel so much fitter. I feel I can actually keep up with my kids too who are still quite young. Good luck with your quest to regain your youthful self