Need help with protein powder please!

Options
2»

Replies

• GettingFitToLIVE
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition - 100% Gold Standard Whey is a good WPI brand, and is great in value for price, quality and quantity. You can't go wrong!

^^^^^ What he said
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Protein powders is like talking politics. Some people are very passionate about thier protein. You need to read labels and see which ones you like.

I personally like the Vitasport Aminogen Pro7ein - Vanilla - Shake. I want the most protein with the least amount of calories. I also am very picky with the taste and especially the after taste. This one has no after taste, in my opinion.

Also there are lots of recipies out there of differnt things to do with protein so you don't have to always have it as a shake. Don't go cheap either. Why fill yourself with junk. It's like eating a sweets instead of something clean. It's nor really going to make you healthy.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Being as I live in a very rural area, I either order through Amazon (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey) or from the only local supplier which is Walmart (Body Fortress). I mainly use it to supplement my protein intake on those days I don't get enough from my diet so my needs are simple and both brands seem to do well. Tend to stick with the chocolate or coffeeish flavors.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for protein, aside from the source of the protein and the taste, isn't it all the same? Is there some material difference between brands?

Between the brands, there's not much difference unless you are comparing a brand like Musashi to Muscletech then yeah there is a difference in quality. But different protein powders do different things in terms of grams per weighted scoop, dissolution properties, amino acid profiles, absorption rates for example a whey isolate is fast absorbing, however a whey hydrolysate is even faster, and a whey typically centres around 2 -4 hours absorption where as a caeseinate would typically take 6 - 8 hours to digest.
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice! There were literally only 3 brands to choose from at the health food shop but I hadn't thought of buying it online so I think I'll look into that instead now I have some good recommendations.

Thank you! :)

Natalie
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I use Gold Standard Whey in French Vanilla Creme - I get it through bodybuilding.com at a really low price, I only buy the 1 or 2 lb tubs but they have a lot of other options, much cheaper to buy through them for any of your suppliments. I blend a scoop with unsweetend almond milk and really like it post-workout.