Who here walks to lose weight

Options
I'm just trying to get motivated. I just started walking 90 minutes at a brisk pace 6 days a week. I'm also eating less and eating healthy. Will I lose weight? My goal is to lose 30 pounds by July. I'm currently 5'8" and weight 180 pounds.

Replies

• princessthecat22
    princessthecat22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just started to do this again. I use to walk about 6 miles a day and I would see results when I was eating well so I believe it depends on the person. My husband is a runner and he wont lose a pound if he walks.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to get motivated. I just started walking 90 minutes at a brisk pace 6 days a week. I'm also eating less and eating healthy. Will I lose weight? My goal is to lose 30 pounds by July. I'm currently 5'8" and weight 180 pounds.

You'll lose weight if you have a calorie deficit. Walking will burn some calories and help create that deficit.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

You'll lose weight if you have a calorie deficit. Walking will burn some calories and help create that deficit.

^This. Your number of calories you eat is important. And walking will help.
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I walk 3.15 miles most days and bike 12-20 on the weekends... eat right and drink my water... works for me...
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    i just lie down. usually 8 hours or more a day. sometimes on the couch or bed, or even on the floor. very relaxing and great for weightloss. true story.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    All the best. Ive loat weoght on a 1200 cal diet and walkibg 30 mins per day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    80 to 90% of weight loss is your food intake. Create a deficit and you'll lose weight. Weight loss will happen in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym, on the road, wherever. You have to get your eating right then the rest falls into place.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight if you have a calorie deficit.

I do walking and pilates for exercise, but I do them because they make me feel better. Also we moved close to the beach so that's enough motivation in and of itself to walk. :)
  • anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    when i was walking 3 times a week for an hour each time i was losing all kinds of weight. as long as you can keep a pace that will increase your heart rate you shouldn't have a problem. walking isnt a big body changer but it does work in small ways that add up in the end. you will eventually notice the scale change it might just take a bit longer then if you were running or doing weights but walking is a great staple for exercising.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Walking is great exercise. It's all about burning the calories. I lost 34 pounds with walking and the elliptical being my only exercise for a long time.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Dude, your 20. If you want motivation sign up for a 5k that is 10 months away, then start up couch 25k.

Also its what you eat that makes you loose weight, working out makes you cool.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Me I was 5 ft 8 189 now I'm 161 since September .. I do 30 mins up n down hill everyday also avnt done it for 2 weeks n lost 7lb anyway because of diet x
  • Annitte
    Annitte Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    YES YOU WILL, LOSE WEIGHT! KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR DOING AND THE WEIGHT WILL COME OFF! DON'T FORGET TO TONE IT UP!
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do! I walk for exercise, but I've always been someone who walks a lot and I don't lose substantially ever.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I enjoy walking 100%. It compromises most of my exercises, since I can do it anywhere at anytime and I have a tight schedule during my college semester.

Focus on your food intake, and the quality of your food for the best results. If you like walking, walk. I would suggest incorporate heavy lifting with your light cardio and clean eating for great progress you can maintain.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    80 to 90% of weight loss is your food intake. Create a deficit and you'll lose weight. Weight loss will happen in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym, on the road, wherever. You have to get your eating right then the rest falls into place.

I agree with the theory, but I don't think it's that simple.
    It is a fact that a calories deficit will cause weight loss, however, trying to lose weight without exercising will be really hard at one point: as the pounds go away, the number of calories needed to lose will get lower and sticking to a diet plan will become very frustrating.
    Exercise increases the number of calories burned, making the life of a person on diet easier. (Not to mention that exercise is great for a person's health).

Walking is a great activity and better than sitting on a couch, but as someone before me said, you are young: why don't you try the C25K program?
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The majority of my exercise is walking. I also lift weights and hula hoop but the bulk of it is walking. Seems to be working for me :smile:
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 pounds mostly walking in just under a year. I am not at my goal yet but I also had surgery in August and have hit a plateau. I continue to walk about 40 minutes a day M-F. Even if I don't lose another pound before the end of the year I stil think 75 pounds is a pretty good feat!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot, I don't 'work out', I try to build being more active into my day generally.

I've just got permission to use the internal stairs in my office block so I can avoid using the lift (elevator ;)), this pleases me a lot.

I deliberately skip a couple of convenient train stops on the post-work commute, gives me some exercise and time to unwind from the day.

I love walking, especially by the coast, sea air is good air ...
  • marytf
    marytf Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been walking to lose weight for years. :)
    Add that to calorie counting and knowing what fuel you put in your body will lead to losing pounds. Good sensible diet and exercise (not necessarily crazy exercise) will do you the power of good.