Does anyone here supplement with Food Grade DE?

Options
My Naturpathic M.D. has recommended supplementing with Food grade Diatomaceous Earth. I have been reading about the benefits of supplementing with it.

I want to hear people's personal experiences. Benefits, no change, etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about it but we're going to use it as a natural insecticide in organic vineyards. I find a lot of the health claims about it to be a little far fetched but I don't think it would hurt you. It's fossilized algae made up mostly of silicon & calcium with a bit of magnesium, sodium & iron.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the only benefit I could see is if it provided something the body needs but isn't already getting

as you know, more is not always better
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I want to know if anyone has experienced any of these "benefits"................I am waiting for my blood panel to come back at the moment, so I will see what I am deficient in, if anything besides Vitamin D (which I know this won't help, I have a D3 supplement and go to tanning salon a couple days a week for that)

•Silica lowers bad cholesterol and raises good
    •Silica fades age spots
    •Silica stimulates metabolism for higher energy levels
    •Diatomaceous Earth has a negative charge and bacteria has a positive charge. It is believed that Diatomaceous Earth sweeps bacteria out of the body by trapping it in its honeycomb shaped skeletal form.
    •Silica supplementation helps repair and maintain vital lung tissue and protects them from pollution. By maintaining or restoring the elasticity of lung tissue, silica reduces inflammation in bronchitis.
    •It acts as a cough decreasing agent. Silica tones the upper respiratory tract (nose, pharynx, larynx) and reduces swelling because of its positive action on the lymphatic system.
    •Silica supplementation keeps menopause free of stress and helps to prevent many unwanted side effects of menopause
    •Silica works with other antioxidants to prevent premature aging and to preserve youthfulness.
    •Silica can help prevent kidney stones and heal infections of the urinary tract. It is a natural diuretic which can increase excretion of urine by 30 percent, thus flushing the water-excreting system and restoring normal function to these vital organs.
    •The presence of sufficient silica in the intestines will reduce inflammation of the intestinal tract. It can cause disinfection in the case of stomach and intestinal mucus and ulcers. Silica can prevent or clear up diarrhea and its opposite, constipation.
    •Silica will help normalize hemorrhoidal tissues.
    •In regulating and normalizing the bowels, silica has a pleasant side effect; it can alleviate lower back pain, which often troubles the elderly.
    •Silica proves effective with female discharge, abscesses and ulcers in the genital area and cervix, as well as mastitis (especially for breast feeding mothers).
    •The intake of silica acts as a supportive treatment for inflammation of the middle ear. Because of the beneficial effectiveness on the lymphatic system, silica can be used for swelling of the lymph nodes in the throat.
    •Has anti-inflammatory disinfecting, absorbing and odor binding effects.
    •Silica can normalize circulation and regulate high blood pressure (hypertension).
    •Silica can decrease vertigo, headache, tinnitus (buzzing of the ears) and insomnia.
    •Silica can help diabetes by promoting synthesis of elastase inhibitor by the pancreas.
    •Silica can help arterial disease by strengthening the blood vessels. Studies confirm that with age, silica disappears from the aorta, the heart's key blood vessel, thus weakening its critical connective tissue and resulting in a greater cardiac risk.
    •Silica can help prevent Tuberculosis.
    •By improving the elasticity of the joints, silica helps rheumatism.
    •Silica has inhibitory effects on coronary diseases.
    •Silica can help avoiding or alleviating Alzheimer's disease by preventing the body from absorbing aluminum and may flush out aluminum from the tissues. Silica can stimulate the immune system.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I want to know if anyone has experienced any of these "benefits"................I am waiting for my blood panel to come back at the moment, so I will see what I am deficient in, if anything besides Vitamin D (which I know this won't help, I have a D3 supplement and go to tanning salon a couple days a week for that)

I am really surprised that you would go to a tanning bed. blows my image of you

a few minutes in the sun will give you all the D you need

tanning beds are dangerous as hell
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I am really surprised that you would go to a tanning bed. blows my image of you

a few minutes in the sun will give you all the D you need

tanning beds are dangerous as hell

I live in an area where the sun isn't always out and in the winter my Vitamin D sinks very low to the point I have heart palpitations, severe depression and absolutely no energy.

The tanning beds are not as dangerous as people make them out to be and it stimulates Vitamin D production when I can't get in the sun. A few minutes 2-3 times a week is all I need along with taking the Vitamin D3 supplement in the winter. My health insurance pays for this from November - February. It gets rid of my depression and I have more energy to be able to function during the dreary months of the year.

I don't go in there to get tan and if you look at my skin, you would never know I even go to a tanning bed. I am not in there long enough and don't use the lotions and such. Just a few minutes as I previously mentioned.

I also have a SAD light by my bed side that doesn't help as much as it is supposed to.

Today we have some sunshine, so I will get outside with my dogs and enjoy it. Tomorrow, Friday, Saturday and Sunday it will be raining so no sunshine.
  • yeah_im_that_girl_
    Options
    It tastes nasty but I put it in water sometimes. It has really good benefits.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at "Naturopathic MD"
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

ya...most of them seem to be whack jobs but some are just following common sense if they havn't gone off the deep end
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I use it for my chickens.....
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I use it for my chickens.....

Yep most people do... : )
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

good call.

eat decent foods. stay active.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I had to start googling at that.
    Then again at DE.

It's really hard to keep up when people can just make stuff up and call it science.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Then again at DE.

It's really hard to keep up when people can just make stuff up and call it science.

"fitness" and health are getting ridiculous these days.........

Thank you Dr Oz
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Did cavemen eat dirt?

:huh:
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I use DE in my swimming pool filter.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Did cavemen eat dirt?

:huh:

Did cavemen use tanning beds? There are a lot of food that are fortified with D vitamins, but sadly, they aren't what the cavemen ate....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    According to Wikipedia, you can just eat cat litter!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

My Naturopathic M.D. is a Medical Doctor that graduated from Washington University School of Medicine here in St Louis as a regular M.D. and then went out to Washington State and graduated from Bastyr University which is named by the Princeton Review as one of the Best Medical Schools in this country.

So she knows when to use more conventional practices and when to use more natural practices. There is nothing Hokey about being a Naturopathic M.D.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Then again at DE.

"fitness" and health are getting ridiculous these days.........

Thank you Dr Oz

Well, I don't know what you are trying to say, but I do not like Dr Oz in the least.