Protein

Options
Being a non meat eater blood tests have shown my daughter's protein levels are low, she doesn't really need to lose a great deal of weight, just 7 lbs, but I'm struggling for suggestions for meals for her. She works all day, lives alone and gets home about 5.30 pm each day so she wants things that are quick and easy to prepare and cook. She's always been a bit of a fussy eater and being 37 years of age she isn't going to change now, any ideas out there for her and of course for me too!
Thanks x

Replies

• charlottemay
    Options
    Pulses, mixed beans, fish if she eats fish are high in protein.
  • mumtheshopper
    mumtheshopper Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash and red lentil; curry, or any veg curry, thrown in the slow cooker before work would be perfect when she gets hpme with some microwaveable rice!!
  • katattack
    Options
    The problem is that there aren't that many COMPLETE proteins for vegetarians. I've read a lot about this, including Precision Nutrition, and The Eat Clean Diet (Tosca Reno's book), as well as being a vegetarian myself!

Some complete protein options (non-vegan) are: Egg whites, low-fat cottage cheese, skim milk.

Some really great protein options are: quinoa, edamame, tempeh, lentils, whey protein powder, chick peas, hemp (i.e. hulled hemp seeds), buckwheat, spirulina, avocados....etc etc

The list goes on, but the important things is to eat MIXED foods as a veg to give your body a fuller range of the essential amino acids you need. Most whole foods contain a bunch of amino acids, just not ALL the amino acids. A broccolli+chickpea concoction served over buckwheat/quinoa/brown rice would give you a good protein filled meal! Add some hulled hemp seeds and you're singing!

Google 'complete proteins' and throw in 'vegetarian' for some good resources. Reallllly important if she's interested in building muscle to help her with those 7 lbs.
  • Fran44
    Options
    Yes I understand what you're saying but its so difficult as she is a really fussy eater anyway, I'm almost sure that she wouldn't be able to tackle much in the ways of beans and pulses except maybe baked beans! As I said she is a non-meat eater but she will eat fish although I think she would baulk at that as well so that could only be once or twice a week. I suppose its the variety I'm looking for and there doesn't seem to be much 'normal' everyday food out there for her. Anyway I'm on the internet just looking for the moment, thanks everyone for their help and advice x