TEXAS CAVIAR

Options
Mylolamia
Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
This is a recipe given to me by a friend in North Carolina wonderful served as an appetizer with Scoops or on top of salad greens with extra vegetables for a lunch idea.

It is a colorful and tasty bean and corn salad with a little bit of bite. When I make it myself, I personally buy salt free canned beans to cut back on sodium. Give it a try. Delicious!

Texas Caviar

Drain, rinse and mix together:
1 can black-eyed peas
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 small jar pimentos
1 can white shoe peg corn (any corn will do)
1 small onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
4 oz. can diced green chilies. Or 1-2 fresh jalapeños with seeds left in for extra bite.

Heat until boiling:
1 tsp. salt (if desired)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. water
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Let cool and pour over top of ingredients. Sit in refrigerator for at least three hours. The longer the better. Drain off liquid. Serve with Scoops.

You can use any variety of beans, lentils you like. I made this with chickpeas, and red kidney beans and it was just as good.

Replies

• NatashaRuz
    Options
    That sounds like something I'd really like!
    I'm going to a pot-luck dinner on Saturday, and the main course will be vegetarian chili....this may be a great idea for a side! :)
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi Natasha...funny we should meet here. This is a really nice light colorful dish, basically a saladlike bean dish. So good. Enjoy! Diane:flowerforyou:
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Thanks!
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh, goodness, I love that stuff. It's amazing on top of grilled chicken or, if you're feeling a bit naughty, on top of a homemade burger along with a bit of lettuce. So much better than just about any other condiment out there.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    This is a constant staple in my home. Love it.