Black Tea vs. Green Tea

Options
KL_24
KL_24 Posts: 28 Member
Is there a big difference nutrition wise? I heard there are a lot of benefits with green tea and I've been trying to drink it (i tried it with honey, cinnamon..just about everything) and i just cant get it down. However, I had black tea this morning with a little bit of honey and its great! Should I keep trying to drink green tea and see if i can used to it? Just curious about the health benefits for each!

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Decisions decisions..

BLACK_WIDOW_vs_GREEN_LANTERN_HAL_JORDAN.jpg
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean but the very best tea you can get is White tea.

It has better health benefits that green tea without the acrid taste. I struggled with green tea and just force it down.

I buy a brand of organic White Tea called Swirling Mist which looks like this: http://i6.goodness-direct.co.uk/d/458196b.jpg and to me, it has none of the horrible taste I would associate with green tea.

http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/food+diet/expert+opinion/white+tea+vs+green+tea,13045
  • milk_bottle
    milk_bottle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's from the same plant so you're getting more or less the same health benefits.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Dunno about black tea vs green tea, but White tea is pretty much verfied as the most beneficial in terms of antioxidants. Imo it tastes better too.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thats not accurate. Green tea is fermented therefore does not retain as many antioxidants as white tea. White the is simply picked and steamed whereas green tea is picked, steams, fermented and fired.

It is more processed and has more caffeine in it that white tea. White tea also contains more polyphenols, the powerful anti-oxidant that fights and kills cancer-causing cells, than any other type of tea.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The health benefits of any tea is so minimal that it really isn't worth choking down something you don't like.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Black tea is going to have a stronger taste and have a lot more caffeine. Green tea is gentler, and while still has caffeine, has less. White tea has the least. I love all teas. Nutritionally....I dunno honestly. I always assumed that the benefits weren't enough to override personal preference with any one type or flaver.
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    From what I've read, white tea is the best, with green tea being the second. Have you tried naturally flavored teas? Celestial Seasonings has some great teas. One of my favorites is peach blossom green tea with white tea. They also have a great line of holiday teas.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Green Tea although healthy is not a miracle drink. I'd drink the black tea and enjoy!!! :drinker: Both are still healthier than sugary processed drinks!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this thread! White tea is my favorite and I would drink it all the time, but all the hoopla about green tea has had me drinking that instead for the last few years. Back to white, it is!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    If you are using boiling water to prepare your green tea, it is going to be bitter and taste awful. When steeping Green Tea you want the water to only be between 160-180 degreees F and you should only steep it for a maximum of 2-3 minutes.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    try letting the water cool a bit when making green tea - that bitter taste often comes from burning the leaves. all teas come from the same base plant but are treated differently in processing.

buy the best tea you can afford. Try and get leaf tea if you can. cheap tea comes from harsh manufacturing processes which means that a lot of the goodness is pretty much bashed out of it (it's a bit like how salad vegetables lose nutrients the minute they are cut - keep it whole and you'll have more benefits.

A high quality tea you can infuse multiple times. After the first infusion most of the caffiene has been steeped out anyway, but the rest of the goodness and taste is there.

personaly, I'm a big pu-erh fan. earthy and like a hug.
  • KL_24
    KL_24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!! I've never even heard of white tea (I'm not a tea/coffee drinker at all if you guys couldnt tell!..i'm more of a hot chocolate person) but im definitely up for trying it. Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions..i really appreciate it!