Wondering about eating the same foods.

Options
I noticed that I tend to eat the same food quite regularly. I may change the way I cook it, or change some ingredients but it still is the same food if you get what I mean eg: in my oatmeal I may swap cranberries for other fruit, or cook my chicken differently. Guess what I am asking is does it matter if we eat the same thing if we like eating the same thing?

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    No
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem. Personally, my body responds well to it, because it knows what it is going to get. For example, for breakfast I alternate between oatmeal and eggs. I use different seasonings and cook the eggs differently so I don't get bored, but my body still knows what to expect. Like a finely tuned machine =)
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Not at all....it's all about calories in vs. calories burned. During the work week for my entire weight loss journey (15 weeks and 15 lbs.) and maintenance mode (28 weeks), I have eaten the same exact breakfast and lunch meals, and I love them. They're tasty and delicious, and fit into my calorie needs for the day. :)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    We are creatures of habit, both good and bad.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    It's not exactly like your body is going to build up a tolerance to certain foods and no longer get the needed nutrients from them.

Think about when our great grandparents ate the same things everyday. A lot of people in other countries still do eat the same things everyday, and a lot of the time, they don't change it up at all.

If you enjoy eating it, then eat it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    As long as your diet is balanced you're fine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I tend to eat the same food quite regularly. I may change the way I cook it, or change some ingredients but it still is the same food if you get what I mean eg: in my oatmeal I may swap cranberries for other fruit, or cook my chicken differently. Guess what I am asking is does it matter if we eat the same thing if we like eating the same thing?
    As long as what you're eating is giving you the nutrition you need, no problem at all.

I tend to eat the same foods over and over for months without much variation, then get tired of it or start wanting something different and switch.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it should, I do the same thing and although I haven't lost much, for very different reasons, it has never affected my sucess.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Nope, I usually buy or make enough food to last me the whole week, that way I don't have to cook everyday.. so my diary looks pretty much the same everyday, with the exception of yogurt flavors changing and a few other small things.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also find it easier to eat the same foods regularly. I just try to mix up my veggies so I get a variety of nutrients.
  • swisswife
    swisswife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nope, I usually buy or make enough food to last me the whole week, that way I don't have to cook everyday.. so my diary looks pretty much the same everyday, with the exception of yogurt flavors changing and a few other small things.

I do this too, I cook 2 big pans of something - this week a beef and veggies stew and one chickpea curry and then portion them out, freeze some and alternate days with the others, every morning I have scrambled or poached eggs with either salmon or bacon, lunch tends to be a mixed salad with chicken breast, lentils or tuna, Its not very exciting but for a kick start its been great for me. I have 2 portions a fresh fruit a day and 4/5 different veggies and a good protein amt. .....so as long as I get a balance of different foods I think I'm not doing too badly......I average 1300 ish calories not counting the exercise ones and I have lost 4 kilo in just under 3 weeks.....