Deadlifts Question/Advice

Options

Replies

• Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Because I don't have access to a bar and even if I'm at the gym where there is one, I'm intimidated to go to that area still beacuse I don't lift that heavy, and because I literally started lifting two weeks ago, I started deadlifts with dumbbells because a 45lb bar was intimidating to me...I got my form checked and am doing 25lb dumbbells, which isn't a weight I could get on the bar since I would have to add in incriments of ten lbs basically. I would rather start light like this because it's hard for me, than not be able to do it with the bar...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    LOW weight

form is EVERYTHING

get your form nailed before attempting any significant weight

This times a million
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    All awesome advice.

Start with very low weight. You can always go up from there as you progress, but if you start too heavy and hurt something, you won't make progress for a very long time. (This lecture is for my benefit as much as it is for yours. Maybe if I say it often enough, I'll follow the advice.) Use something to move the bar to an appropriate height (blocks, boards, other plates, etc.).

And I'm trying to find a good deal on horse stall mats to make my lifting area wall to wall matted. Currently, I have my rack on a 4x8 sheet of high density particle board (on concrete) and I deadlift on a carpet remnant (on concrete).
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    One of these days I'm going to do something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxXnum6xV98
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    figure out what you can lift 3 times. Then plug that number into this: strstd.com and have it calculate your workouts - make sure to unclick the 90% box.
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    You can try Romanian Deadlifts too, which would eliminate the bar height problem, you can rack the bar at around knee/thigh level on the lower part of the squat rack. All good advice in this thread, form is very important here. I prefer Sumo Deadlifts when I am lifting straight off the ground, more comfortable for me, something you can also look into.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    figure out what you can lift 3 times. Then plug that number into this: strstd.com and have it calculate your workouts - make sure to unclick the 90% box.

I don't think I like the idea of her finding her 3-rep max when she's first learning the lift. There is definitely a time for a calculator like strstd.com...I just don't think she's there yet.
  • yoovie
    Options

I don't think I like the idea of her finding her 3-rep max when she's first learning the lift. There is definitely a time for a calculator like strstd.com...I just don't think she's there yet.

who said max
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

who said max

You did: "figure out what you can lift 3 times."
  • yoovie
    Options

who said max

yeah - this feels good, can pick it up three times in a row, done and done - time to build up from here....

I dont see why I would suggest a max as a starting point...
  • yoovie
    Options
    nevermind - im useless and I dont know what im talking about, please continue
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

who said max

I would interpret that the same way.

Beginners have no business even being concerned with a 3 rep benchmark
  • yoovie
    Options
    start with your purse.
  • yoovie
    Options
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone suggested that, just wanted a little clarification for someone who's new to planning out a routine and the lift itself.
  • yoovie
    Options

I don't think anyone suggested that, just wanted a little clarification for someone who's new to planning out a routine and the lift itself.

its best to just listen to the men talking
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

its best to just listen to the men talking

panties in a bunch alert
  • DavPul
    Options

agreed. starting out, i don't care if she's doing 20lbs, as long as she's getting her form correct. I'd rather she find her 10 rep max than her 3 rep.
  • DavPul
    Options
    start with your purse.

Use Jof's purse. It's lighter
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

agreed. starting out, i don't care if she's doing 20lbs, as long as she's getting her form correct. I'd rather she find her 10 rep max than her 3 rep.

agreed