Does anyone reward themselves along the way??

Options
I been thinking about some type of small inexpensive rewards for some of the smaller weight loss goals along the way. Does anyone else do this, and if so do you do it every 5, 10, 15 etc.? What kind of rewards do you give your self? I was thinking things like a trip to a nail salon, or new shirt, things like that. I would like to hear what other people do.

Replies

• keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of weight to lose and went through many sizes of clothes on the way down. My reward was new clothes.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    At 10 lb intervals I reward myself. I've only made it to 10 once though, lol. But I got my tattoo started when I did. I'm hoping I'll be at my next 10 soon so I can go in for my second session. If I start gaining, or stop losing, I'll put it off. It's my extra motivation. Who wants to walk around fat AND have an unfinished tattoo!!
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I think for me it is imparative. For my 30 pound weight loss, I bought a new dress for the company Christmas party. For the next 30 it will be a few pairs of jeans. (all the old ones will definitely be too big) After that I think I am going to an expensive store to buy an out fit. A thin body deserves to be pampered. :)
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ooo...a mani/pedi day. YES! Every girl deserves to reward themselves, especially when meeting mini-goals!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Of course, as long as they aren't food based rewards then I think it's totally cool.

I myself have a variety of rewards. Usually along the tens, but I also gave myself a reward when I was 25% to goal and will at 50% and 75% as well. I have some awesome things for the bigger numbers. Like a new tattoo at 100lbs lost.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I SHOULD... and I do reward myself... but It doesn't necessarily happen after set incriments... more like I notice how good I've been doing, so then I go out and buy a heart rate monitor, or something else that I've been wanting anyways to reward myself...

Some ideas though:
    1. A facial or mani/pedi at a beauty school... only like $15/20 for a treatment since they are still learning.
    2. New skinny clothes! always nice!
    3. Maybe an expensive shampoo or body lotion or something that you wouldn't normally splurge on.
    4. New Make up/nail polish to go with your new clothes
    5. A new purse or new jewelry to go with your new clothes.

Bigger items for more reward.
    1. A heart rate monitor... expensive but TOTALLY worth it
    2. a treadmill or elliptical or some other exercise equipment (although if you are a cheapo like me... and find one at a yard sale then is is a mini reward. lol)
    3. a juicer or ninja to help you prepare healthy drinks and foods.

Ultimate rewards - at least for me.
    1. A smoking hot Jessica Rabbit dress custom made to show off the new hot bod
    2. A trip to wherever you want to go!

Best of luck!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I got my first Tatoo at 50 lbs. I haven't decided what happens at 100lbs yet. I have a month or 3 to figure that out...
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I most definitely do - But I refuse to do it at set intervals (lbs lost, inches, etc) Why? Because I'm stubborn and I can.

I have small rewards, but they are fitness focused. Last weekend I rewarded myself with a new sports bra.

Some ideas that I've used - athletic clothes, new running shoes, heartrate monitor, etc... I never reward myself with FOOD.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Each week that I weigh in and lose, the other half has to buy me a pressie or a treat.... things like get a new pair of heels or a new cooking tool, new bag...I decide in advance what treat I'd like and only get it if I lose, it spurs me on to stay on track
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble fitting into my skinnier clothes (too loose) because I must have stretched them out. So not really a purposeful one but I've been slowly rewarding myself with new clothes along the way. :)
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I SHOULD... and I do reward myself... but It doesn't necessarily happen after set incriments... more like I notice how good I've been doing, so then I go out and buy a heart rate monitor, or something else that I've been wanting anyways to reward myself...

Some ideas though:
    1. A facial or mani/pedi at a beauty school... only like $15/20 for a treatment since they are still learning.
    2. New skinny clothes! always nice!
    3. Maybe an expensive shampoo or body lotion or something that you wouldn't normally splurge on.
    4. New Make up/nail polish to go with your new clothes
    5. A new purse or new jewelry to go with your new clothes.

Bigger items for more reward.
    1. A heart rate monitor... expensive but TOTALLY worth it
    2. a treadmill or elliptical or some other exercise equipment (although if you are a cheapo like me... and find one at a yard sale then is is a mini reward. lol)
    3. a juicer or ninja to help you prepare healthy drinks and foods.

Ultimate rewards - at least for me.
    1. A smoking hot Jessica Rabbit dress custom made to show off the new hot bod
    2. A trip to wherever you want to go!

Best of luck!

Nice list! :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I do...every 20 lbs! Something small, nothing too expensive.
  • npetercmway
    Options
    I know that I shouldn't but I chose a food reward. Every 10 lbs I buy myself a Chocolove Dark Chocolate with almonds and sea salt. I really don't eat chocolate anymore and it doesn't make me crave chocolate so that is my reward. I also eat it over a few days as a treat within my calories.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I bought smaller pants. I think that is a pretty big reward. I'm not rewarding myself otherwise, because this process has been relatively pleasant and I'm taking it on as a permanent lifestyle.
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    For my biggest goals, I rewarded myself with bigger things like clothes, new shoes and fitness equipment like a water bottle belt.

Sometimes though, I still use small incentives to help get me through a week. Its the little goals that make up the big goals, and sometimes its important to reward yourself as you go. For example:

A few weeks ago, I was dragging all over the place. It was hard for me to get up and move, and going to the gym seemed like the most difficult thing in the universe. I WANTED to go to the gym, but it was so HARD!

So, to counteract this, I made a deal with myself: each week, I would tally up the number of workouts I got in. For each big workout (2 hour plus, or a 1000+ calorie burn, or a day with 2 workouts) I would by myself a new song on iTunes to add to my workout playlist. So far, this has gotten me 4 songs, cost 5 dollars, and has gotten me pumped to do more!

Big rewards are good, but don't forget to motivate yourself for the little things too!
  • NatsukoG
    NatsukoG Posts: 104
    Options
    I don't have set intervals but I've saw things I liked and throught to myself - you know what, I deserve it. Some of the things I've bought myself are things the old me couldn't have had eg branded sports gear, dresses from stores that don't sell bigger sizes etc.

Like many people are saying, so long as you don't reward yourself with food. I saw something on facebook recently that said - don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog. Got me thinking :smile:
  • aften_g
    aften_g Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have! I had little ones like a new pair of jeans after 20 pounds and then when I hit "one"derland I got a manicure. I've talked to my hubby about going on a cruise once I hit goal weight and he was all for it so I hope that happens as well :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Personally, my success is my reward. I've never been in the habit of rewarding myself. I work hard and stay disciplined because that's what I do.

But, if you are the type of person that is rarely self-indulgent, then I could see how that could work for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I know that I shouldn't but I chose a food reward. Every 10 lbs I buy myself a Chocolove Dark Chocolate with almonds and sea salt. I really don't eat chocolate anymore and it doesn't make me crave chocolate so that is my reward. I also eat it over a few days as a treat within my calories.

Well if this is a reward, then I "reward" myself daily. :laugh:

It's an example of what I would call self-indulgence, so hopefully that clarifies my post. :smokin:
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY.

I learned this doing weight watchers.

I start my first reward at 5% loss

Second Reward at 10% weightloss

then I go every 10 lbs until I hit that platueau stage and do every 5 lbs.

Rewards start out minimal, like shellac manicure, 1 hour massage, and go into bigger rewards like a new pair of uggs and botox, my ultimate when I reach goal reward is a shopping spree/trip...I keep the chart next to my treadmill so every day I am working out I am reminded of what I am working out for and it helps. YES the ultimate reward is less weight and better health, ect ect. but if you are motivated by doing something like this, GO FOR IT! :)