Exercising when you feel a cold coming on...

Options
I'm in the prestages of getting a cold. Tired, achy, scratchy throat. Is it best to skip exercising until I feel better, or just suck it up and push through?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If you feel well enough to exercise, it won't hurt you. I've got a cold now too and unfortunately, signed up for a virtual half marathon this week, and have a 5K on Sunday. Ugh. So, tomorrow night I need to run 3.7 miles to finish my half (we are allowed to split it up) and then on Sunday another 3.1. Sunday should be fine, but tomorrow will probably suck LOL.

Basically, if you want to and can, go ahead. But if you want to lay on the couch and rest, that's fine too.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    This happened to me last week and I pushed through it. My thinking was that it was even more important to push through it because sickness might have me out for a spell. So move it while you still can! And btw, my cold never came on full force so maybe the exercise helped? Either way, I find EmergenC really helps when I can catch a sickness early enough. Get well soon.
  • Flamenquero
    Options
    Skip the exercise. You may accelerate the cold instead of aborting it, and don't exercise when you are sick. Often times doing cardio can take a simple head cold and move it down to your chest.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A cold doesn't keep me out of the gym. Actually I'm really active and the wife...well isn't...when it comes to exercise and I find I never get as sick as she does..
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Skip the exercise. You may accelerate the cold instead of aborting it, and don't exercise when you are sick. Often times doing cardio can take a simple head cold and move it down to your chest.

Do you have research to support this?

Rule of thumb: Above the neck, exercise. Below the neck, rest.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

This.
  • stockholmhasago
    Options
    Whatever you feel comfortable with. I tend to not do cardio when I've got a cold, but that's because I always end up feeling light ended and sicker. If you start it and feel like you can power through, power through. If your body sends signals that it's time to stop, stop. You know your body better than anyone else.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Try it but don't force it. If you start to exercise and your body tells you to stop listen. Also, back off on the intensity and take it easy
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options

This.

Yep, I have a cold right now and plan on exercising. I've eaten my soup and some oranges to help it go away!
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options

It's completely up to you. I usually try and exercise anyways, but I did an instructor training (cardio for well over 10 hours) in a weekend. I only had the sniffles (above the neck!) when i started, and by the time the weekend training was over, i had an insane cold that i was wiped out completely and could barely get into work. so after that i had to baby myself, lost my voice, and took two weeks off. so really depends how well you feel, because you could end up fighting it or having to rest for even longer!
  • 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    Options
    I have a cold coming on and still did my workout today. I'm the type that exercising while sick unless I can't move. I can say they aren't the best workouts sometimes, but I do my best. For me it's more of a mental thing. If I don't feel like exercising, that's when I tell myself that I need it the most. I generally feel better once I'm done.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think it's your preference. I have a no excuse exercise policy for myself. If I'm not feeling well I go at it anyway. If while I am exercising I end up feeling worse I will lower the intensity or stop all together but not without trying to push through it first. For me, if I use it as an excuse not to exercise this time chances are I will use it as an excuse again.

Also, I usually feel a little better after exercise and makes me feel good that even though I'm not feeling well I still worked out! Accomplishment!
  • princessthecat22
    princessthecat22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do NOT exercise when I am sick because my cold never seems to go away if I do this and I end up in the hospital not being able to lower my temperature. Take a hot yoga class or a rest day if your not up to it...... MY husband on the other hand pushes through it so it depends on your body.

*Based on personal experiences
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Totally up to you. When I feel like that I work out, mostly because I know it will probably get worse and then I'll have to take some skip days. I always work out as long as I'm not congested yet, then take it easy (but still move, like taking a walk or a little yoga just because it helps me feel better) while I'm stuffy.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel well I'll just go for a walk, low intensity. The sunshine, grass and air perk me up and make me feel better.

Or yoga!
  • princessthecat22
    princessthecat22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, its all personal. dont feel you are weak or using a excuse, listen you YOUR OWN body. Not what someone on Myfitness pal states.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Like every issue, two or more sides.

I had a cold on Saturday and worked out with lighter intensity, but longer period. Felt awful when I first woke up Sunday, did nothing, but at the end of the day, I was going stir-crazy and ran. Woke up Monday, all but over it.

I guess I'm saying, who knows, but I suggest giving it a try and listen extra close to your body.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Quoted to add the last caveat. If you have a fever, do not exercise.
  • Flamenquero
    Options

You can research the web, most medical authorities cite not to do it, especially if there is infection and/or fever. Above or below the neck doesn't matter. Respiratory infections in the head can move to the chest more easily when the lungs are being taxed, plus cardio further weakens the immune system when one is already susceptible.

I've gotten away with violating this, as I am sure others have, but now I just practice prudence. I don't "run through injuries" anymore either like I did back when I ran track.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    i would still work out. Unless it was a tummy issue or something with bathroom....then like Sunday, id do what i could and stop.