Exercise after hysterectomy

Options
I am planning a hysterectomy at the beginning of June. I will probably reach my goal before then but am worried that my healing time will undo the level of fitness I should have by then. Are there any suggestions for making sure I don't undo all the hard work I've done over the last few months?

Replies

• Dee678
    Dee678 Posts: 53
    Options
    Maintain the caloric goal , versus the maintenance caloric goal, during your healing time. Express your concerns to your surgeon. Explain that you've worked SO hard, but you are dedicated to a speedy recovery as well.

You may not be able to exercise the way you want, but you need to allow your body time to heal itself.
    Do what you can, and are told by your doctor, but not anymore!
    Good Luck!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I had my ovaries and tube removed in August of 09 - I was expecting to be up and around in a couple of days and back to work in a week. It wasn't horrible but I didn't bounce back as quickly as I'd expected. They move your organs around during surgery. My bladder and bowl didn't really seem to settle in for a few weeks. I would set very realistic goals for the first six weeks. Make them more about streatching and moving around the first few weeks and then add some moderate walking and upper body work after that.

It's important to be kind to yourself and allow your body to heal. I didn't gain any weight but I didn't lose any either. I waited 8 weeks post op to really start to diet and it was 12 weeks before I started exercising in any strenuous way.

I'm sure you're get better advice but that's my experience!

Good luck!
  • MFR1974
    Options
    I went through the same thing last summer...although I'm heavier than you are. Follow your doctors orders! You do not want to overdue it because you can delay your recovery time severely. You can end up back in the hospital with blown stitches and bleeding and that recovery is way tougher than the first operation I'm told. I went for many short walks gradually building intensity as my doctor would allow it. My weight loss didn't skip a beat. Your body will need time to heal itself, relax and let it do it's job. You'll be back on your feet before you know it!!! Best wishes and I pray God's will for you.
  • kimandal99
    Options
    I could have typed your post! I am supposed to have a hysterectomy sometime soon too but I am putting if off soley because I don't want it to mess up my workout routine. How sad is that? I still have about 10 pounds to lose and alot to tone and I would hate to get to my goal weight and then have to sit on my but for 6-12 weeks. That is terrifying after all this hard work! Maybe I will just keep putting off the surgery as long as possible.
    Good luck to you!
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    You also have to think about how much your caloric expenditure goes down when you lay around all day! I had a hysterectomy last year and had to drastically reduce my calories to keep from gaining weight. It's a fine line though, because you want to have proper nutrition to foster the healing process. It also depends on if you have an open, laproscopic or vaginal hysterectomy. You should be able to walk comfortably by 3 weeks out. On the plus side, with all the pain pills, I wasn't very hungry!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I had a vaginal hysterectomy a few years ago and I was walking around the block on my second or third day out of the hospital. I was walking slow but it felt good to be moving. (Did I mention our block is .75 miles?) Hope your surgery goes well. For me it was has helped a lot. (I am not bleeding to death!)
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    I am 5 months post op from having a total hysterectomy. It does take time, so yes you have to be prepared to take it easy for some weeks. I remember even after a few weeks feeling some pain after a grocery shopping trip. What I think is most important is those first few days after , do NOthing. I ended up coming home from the hospital with a sick child, and I am a single mom, and I didn't rest enough that first week , or two, which I believe prolonged the healing. Even now, this many months out, I feel weak spots in my abdomen, and some exercises I am still not ready for. Really, again, the first days DO nothing. Please ease very slowly back into activity, or you will regret it. Just watch the calories, and eat as healthy and clean as you can. It can take the digestive system awhile to iron itself out too, so be kind to it.

Yes, I put on some weight while i recovered, but I was not as careful with food choices as I could have been. The first days are rough. I would say 6 weeks before you attempt any activity that will strain those abs, even a little.

The good news is, at least in my case, is that I feel better than I have in years! Also, the real sweet thing is no more TOM bloating which I suffered from bad for decades. Ahhhhh, its good to have that gone.

Do what you have to do and take the time to heal. Your health is more important than a few pounds..
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    Oh i had a total abdominal with a vertical incision, so that probably makes a difference.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Thanks. I guess if I'm in pretty good physical shape before and watch my calories after, I probably won't undo all of it. I'll just try to keep eating healthy and walk as my doctor tells me it's ok. She did tell me I'll feel much better afterward than I do now and I bet that will be true. The bloating and the cramps and the cravings mess up my diet as it is. It will be nice to not have to deal with that anymore.
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME AND LET YOUR BODY HEAL!!! You might not want to hear this but the healing of your body has to be more important than weight lost. Just for the moment. Trust me, I did not listen ended up busting stitches, had to go to thereapy to let them pack the hole i created because i would not sit down. I would walk to much because i was tired of sitting down and was bored staying at home so i was always going to the emergency room because of excessive bleeding. Trust you do not want to go thru this. I know this is TMI but if you hear it this way, i hope it makes you realize that you really need to take it easy as everyone says. Trust I do not mean to be so graphic but i created a deep hole where the staples came loose (which i did not know or feel) that had to be cleaned and packed everyday because i did not take it easy. I DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO GO THRU THAT!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME AND LET YOUR BODY HEAL!!! You might not want to hear this but the healing of your body has to be more important than weight lost. Just for the moment. Trust me, I did not listen ended up busting stitches, had to go to thereapy to let them pack the hole i created because i would not sit down. I would walk to much because i was tired of sitting down and was bored staying at home so i was always going to the emergency room because of excessive bleeding. Trust you do not want to go thru this. I know this is TMI but if you hear it this way, i hope it makes you realize that you really need to take it easy as everyone says. Trust I do not mean to be so graphic but i created a deep hole where the staples came loose (which i did not know or feel) that had to be cleaned and packed everyday because i did not take it easy. I DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO GO THRU THAT!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Had this happen to a friend of mine who felt she was ready to go dancing after a week. It wasn't pretty. Heal first!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    By December, you are going to feel SO good!!! My hysterectomy will be 2 years in April. Definitely the best thing:flowerforyou: I did for my body!! Give yourself 2 good months of rest and then listen to your body's clues! You'll know when you are getting to tired. Now, you push past the pain but you cannot do that after surgery. God bless you!