Alcohol

Options
I'm going out with my partner for a few drink's tonight, it's the first time drinking since i started my diet, what should i stick to?

thanks

Donna x

Replies

• weebles
    Options
    If I have drinks it is Limone soda with lime. (rum & club soda) Vodka works too with diet cranberry. Around 80 calories.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I try to stay away from beer and all fruity drinks with mixers. Your best bet is a bourbon with diet coke or a flavored rum with diet sprite (if they have it).
  • rocktinkerbell
    Options
    Stick to ultra light beer, wine, or bacardi and diet coke. Good luck! (and of course, drink responsibly!) haha!
  • l8ybug
    l8ybug Posts: 24
    Options
    liquor, not beer or wine.

mix w/soda water, not soda pop. add a tiny splash of juice over using pop.

this is sooo hard for me, i so love a good beer or glass of wine, but alas the calories! beer on average is 100-200 cals each, same w/wine.

i must admit i have not eaten calories at lunch so i can drink them at happy hour :)
  • crazyluna
    Options
    vodka is the only alcohol with no sugar... :love:
  • bukozki
    Options
    I advocate beer. I posted this in a couple other threads, and I've been building on it as necessary...

I posted this for another thread. I actually ride the head of the tiger. I shoot for quality of brew and high alcohol in lieu of low calories. More drunk on less drink usually means more drunk on less calories and also more drunk on less filling...
    Unlike food, I'd say front load your drinking, get drunk quicker if that's your goal and spare yourself the hours of session style drinking. I personally prefer higher ABV (Alcohol by volume) beers, they tend to fall into the craft brew category. They tend to be higher in calories, but they balance it out by being higher in alcohol, they also tend to be more sip-able and therefore less chug-able. So those give you a few options, drink quickly and get drunk quickly without filling yourself up, or sip slowly and get the same effect from potentially fewer calories.

A few head to head comparisons courtesy of MFP and BeerAdvocate.

Bud Light
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/1320/

Style: Adjunct Lager
    Rating: D-
    Serving Size: 12 Oz
    Calories 110
    ABV: 4.2%

Pabst Blue Ribbon
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/447/1331

Rating: C
    Calories 153
    ABV: 4.74%

And because you're Australian...

Foster's

Rating: C-
    Calories: 193
    ABV: 5%

Now let's make a mixed drink to compare...

Webtender.com provides these mixes...

Rum and Coke (4 Oz and 8 Oz) ((Optimistic pour at a bar, but you get the idea))
    We're using Captain Morgan (30% ABV), because he was practically begging...

So 4 Oz of Captain is 240 Calories, diluted with 8 Oz of Coke at 105 Calories, or Diet which adds 0 Calories but probably contains some sort of astringent, leaving you with a 12 Oz serving diluted to 10% ABV at 240-345 Calories. That's assuming you get a full 4 ounces of booze and 8 ounces of Coke in your glass. Bars tend to go heavy on the ice because it's cheap, but the good news is that ice is calorie free. You're probably looking at getting something closer to 2 Oz of Rum and 8 Oz of Coke (multiplied proportionately to fill 12 Oz glass for direct comparison) which comes out to a 270 or 144 (Diet) Calories for a drink weighing in at 6% alcohol.

So, optimistically you're getting a much better deal than your typical lager beers, and realistically you're getting a marginally better calorie to buzz ratio.

Now take a look at some higher ABV Beers...

Founder's Backwoods *kitten*
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/35036

Style: Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy
    Rating: A-
    Serving: 12 Oz
    Calories: 280
    ABV: 10.2%

Dogifish Head 90 Minute Indian Pale Ale

Style: Imperial Indian Pale Ale
    Rating: A
    Calories: 230
    ABV: 9%

La Fin Du Monde

Style: Belgian Triple
    Rating: A
    Calories: 225
    ABV: 9%

I think the math is clear. You pay in calories for higher alcohol, but if you choose your drinks wisely (and based on their ABV) you can get to where your going without wrecking your whole week.

Think of it this way

Dogfishhead 120 Minute IPA

Style: Imperial IPA
    Rating: B+
    Calories: 450
    ABV: Varies 18%-25% (Generally assumed to be 20%-21%)

You could drink 12 Oz of beer at 450 Calories and get the same amount of alcohol (assuming 20%): 5 Bud Lights (60 Oz, 550 Calories), about 4 PBRs or Foster's (48 Oz, 612, 772 Calories respectively), 2 well made Captain and Cokes (24 Oz, 480 (Diet) or 690 Calories), or just over 3 Captain and Cokes that you might expect from a bar (36 Oz, 433(diet) or 810 Calories).

Do some math and do it before you get wasted. My advice, get in there, get drunk, ride the wave and don't fill yourself up on terrible drinks. Make sure you're getting quality of taste and quality of impact.

And since TRAV asked, I tracked down the Abita brew calories.

The nutritional info comes from here: http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/abita
    And the rating and ABV info comes from Beeradvocate.com

Purple Haze (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz; Calories: 145, Total Fat: 1.015g, Carbs: 1.052g, Protein: ?g
    ABV: 4.2%
    Rating: C+

Amber (Abita) Serving Size: 12 fl oz; Calories: 145 (128?), Total Fat: 1.01g, Carbs: 1.05g, Protein: 0g
    ABV: 4.5%
    Rating: B-

Turbodog Ale (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz; Calories: 172, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 16g, Protein: ?g
    ABV: 5.6%
    Rating: B

Abita Light Beer (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz; Calories: 119, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 8.2g, Protein: 0g
    ABV: 4.0%
    Rating: C

Jockamo Ipa (Abita) Serving Size: 12oz; Calories: 190, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 13g, Protein: 2g
    ABV: 6.5%
    This one is a personal go-to beer for me. It's a solid IPA.

Satsuma Harvest Wit (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz; Calories: 155, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 11g, Protein: 2.4g
    ABV: 5.1%

Mardi Gras Bock (Abita) Serving Size: 12 ounces; Calories: 187, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 16g, Protein: ?g
    ABV: 6.5%

Abbey Ale (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz; Calories: 230, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 18g, Protein: 3.3g
    ABV: 8%

Pecan Harvest Ale (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz. bottle; Calories: 150, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 11g, Protein: 2.6g

Restoration Pale Ale (Abita) Serving Size: 1 Beer -- 12 oz.; Calories: 167, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 15g, Protein: 1.9g
  • naomihandler
    naomihandler Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Miller Genuine Draft Light only has 64 calories. Also Budweiser Select has only 55 calories. They do have lower alcohol content though. I would drink Bacardi and Diet. Or raspberry vodka and club soda.
  • StellaR
    Options
    As a bartender I suggest if you're a beer drinker try a Guiness. I'm not sure of the nutrition facts but I've heard over and over how it has not only very low calories, but the least carbs in beer. If you enjoy vodka like I do I suggest a vodka soda with a splash of cranberry. Have fun.
  • runner915
    Options
    as far as light beers go I prefer michelob ultra. It has 95 calories per bottle. MGD 64 and Bud55 have less calories, but they taste like water to me. Otherwise, I like vodka with tonic water and lime. If you are going to go with hard alcohol, vodka has the least calories, but be sure not to mix it with fruity juices because those have so much sugar!
  • angelmum
    Options
    thankyou for all your reply's you have all been very helpfull, i still have well over a 800 calories for today, really looking forward to a night out but will watch what i drink :)

Donna x
  • bukozki
    Options
    To respond to the post about Guinness...

Guinness has 170 Calories and is 4.2% alcohol. Not a good deal, if you apply the math I supplied above. At that ABV you may as well drink Bud Light.

Now, you also have to take into consideration that Guinness is a very specific style of beer, a dry Irish stout. And it's harder to find a Guinness alternative at most bars, they've fairly well got the market cornered. That said, it is a decent representative of the style, but I would recommend tracking down an Imperial Stout or a high ABV Porter or Baltic Porter, or even a dark double IPA.

170 Calories at 4.2% for a 12 ounce pour is a lousy deal.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Miller Genuine Draft Light only has 64 calories. Also Budweiser Select has only 55 calories. They do have lower alcohol content though. I would drink Bacardi and Diet. Or raspberry vodka and club soda.

LOVE THE FLAVORED VODKA CLUB SODA IDEA!!:drinker: