What should my levels be? Protein.Fat.Carbs..

Options
I weigh 158ish atm and am 5'6. my bodyfat is sadly 31.1%. I am trying to lose fat and tone up and I am not sure what my levels for protein,fats, and carbs should be to get there? HELP!
I also try to workout atleast 4 days a week for like 45 minutes doing the Xbox game, your shape evolution 2012(which is amazing). I have had friends on here say to have low carbs to lose fat then i had another tell me to have mostly carbs to give me energy to workout! I feel like i bloat more when i have carbs though so I am lost on this one.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Protein is needed to repair cells and muscle tissue. When gaining muscle, more protein is required due to increased cellular damage.

Fats are used to aid in the absorption of vitamins and minerals. Fats are also used for proper hormone production and regulation as well as a vital part of the nervous system.

Carbohydrates are used as an extra energy source. Carbohydrates tend to have significantly higher nutritional content than fats and proteins. Processed carbohydrates are usually washed of their nutritional value (this is why white bread tends to be bad while an apple or orange tend to be good).

45% carbohydrates, 25% fats, and 30% proteins tends to be a fairly decent macro goal.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Do something that makes you feel healthy, is sustainable over the long term, is not overly restrictive so you miss out on essential vitamins minerals or fatty acids, fuels your workouts. For most people that includes carbohydrates - you can get a surprising amount from your nine servings of fruits and vegetables a day tho. The important thing is to cut out the types of fat and carbohydrate that fight against your goals, refined sugars and white/ refined carbs are empty calories: they are low in nutrients, harmful to the body and encourage weight gain.

Bloating is a different issue - could be down to constipation or an imbalance in your gut flora/ bacteria that naturally populate the intestines. In general the good guys are fed by fibres and certain natural sugars found in fruits, veggies, beans, lentils and wholegrains, bad guys are fed by refined sugars and starches in junk food and cereals/ grains. Eat more fibre rich wholefoods, consider a freeze dried probiotic (friendly bacteria) in capsule form.