Weight Training + Insanity? Too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I do both BUT lift weights Mon, Wed & Sat & do Insanity on Tues, Thurs & sometimes Sunday!

I'm doing this lifting programme: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/frankoman-dumbbell-only-split.html

<<< these are my results after 5 weeks :happy:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd do one or the other, or dial back on them so they don't run you into the ground.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I do both BUT lift weights Mon, Wed & Sat & do Insanity on Tues, Thurs & sometimes Sunday!

I'm doing this lifting programme: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/frankoman-dumbbell-only-split.html

Nice!!! Keep up the hard work girl! So maybe I should just split the days like you are.....
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Nice!!! Keep up the hard work girl! So maybe I should just split the days like you are.....

It's defo working for me, I think doing both on the same day would probably be too much but maybe see how you feel after a couple of weeks if you really want to do both alongside each other!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

This is the ONLY way I would do both programs -- either or for a given day, not both.

I'm in pretty good shape and I could probably pull of strength training/Insanity on the same day for *maybe* two weeks. After that, I don't think I could physically get through one of the programs the way I should be. If you're not getting gassed enough with Insanity, you're not pushing yourself hard enough.
  • emily_bird
    Options
    This is a very intense level of training. Few people can sustain this very long without burning out or over training. Recovery is just as important, if not more so - that the training itself. While the amount of recovery required is highly subjective, its better to have too much than not enough. It doesn't work the other way around though. Because training volume doesn't necessarily translate into better results, and overdoing it can actually be detrimental.

^This - if you take one message away from this thread, let it be this one.

People who mash together two different programmes without regard for the objectives they were designed with end up extracting little fo the benefits of both.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit - this can be achieved by diet alone. All you need to retain muscle whilst in this deficit is a good weightlifting programme. Cardio is good for maintaining the health of your cardio-vascular system - it's not absolutely necessary to lose weight.

Anyway that's neither here nor there. You could get results doing Insanity (plenty of people have after all) and you could get results Lifting (again plenty of people here have too) but few (read: professional athletes) can maintain the level of training you're talking about and they have support systems in place (good coaching, physio, dieticians, etc) to mitigate most (not all!) of the downsides and arguably they are in a top few % of the population and even they miss whole years of competition due to injury, overtraining, etc...

I'm sad that you think more is better, but really I'm made more sad by all the people who have encouraged you to try this. They have given you bad advice, don't follow it!

Ditto ! Listen to the ripped boys!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    why don't you just start insanity and do it for 2 weeks and see if you feel like you need more? it's not only cardio...i promise you'll feel it in every muscle in your body.