c25k questions?

Options
Hi all!

I have two questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer for me.

1. how would you log the c25k challange in your exercise log? Should I just do two seperate enteries? 1 for jogging and 1 for walking? Or should I just make my own and add calories burned to it? if i do that, does anyone know about how many calories you might be burning? I know everyone is different, but if I could get even just an estimate that would be helpful (i really need to buy a HRM but i dont have 60 bucks ever to spend on one)

2. While I was doing the c25k last night I got a really bad cramp on my right side directly under my rib cage and I could feel it all the way around my side and into my back. Does anyone how what I can do to either 1. make it go away faster? or 2. is there something i can do before I start to help not get them?

if you guys can help answers these for me that would be WONDERFUL!! Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    when i first started running i got cramps all the time
    whats actually best is to carry on running, you can run through them and then you feel so much better
    i like to call the cramp "the wall" and i have to break through it :)
  • aabelein
    aabelein Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    hehe the wall :tongue: . i noticed when i was walking it hurt a lot worse than when i was jogging. so just keep pushin on i suppose! :bigsmile: i litterally had to hold my side. i felt like i was going to explode there. and i have never felt a cramp in my back before so that was WEIRD :indifferent:
  • hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    yeah it does really hurt but the more often you run
    the longer it takes to hit the wall
    i went on a treadmill today at the gym ran for 20 minutes and didnt get cramp at all, only stopped because my headphones have broke and i get bored easily without music.. :)

also kudos for losing 62 lb thats amazing,
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    1. When I did the c25k program I would determine what my average pace per mile was and log that in. There are several running entries in the the exercise log so just find one that is similar. The best would be HRM but with the 20 minutes I used to burn about 200-250 calories.

2. I get those from time to time. There are a lot of things that can cause them and it depends on the person. One common reason is irregular breathing. Make sure while you are running to try to still take deep breaths and relax your shoulders. If you are tense, you will have a harder time breathing. Also make a note of what you ate before and how long before. I find that there are very few things I can eat before I run that don't cramp up my stomach. It takes some learning. When you do get them. Put your hands up over your head and sometimes shake them around. It will open up your rib cage and help the muscles relax. It might look funny but it makes it feel better faster.

Before I go out to run I always do yoga. Since I get up and run early in the morning this gives my body a chance to warmup and stretch in active stretching program.

Good Luck and Happy Running.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    to answer your first question, I guess split it up and log them both separatly, but you're instincts are correct, the calorie totals are wild guesses if you use the ones on MFP, I wouldn't adhere too closely too them.

as to your second question, couple things come to mind, 1 you are dehydrated, make sure you're reaching your mineral totals for the day (potassium and sodium are important) and make sure you're drinking enough water. And second, could be a weak core, sounds like either your transverse abdominals or your external obliques (depending on how deep and how high up the pain is) could be the problem. In either case, research active stretching, yoga, and correct warm ups and cool downs. Also you might want to work on your core, specifically doing exercises that emphasize twisting motions (like Russian twists, bicycle crunches, and medicine ball over the shoulder throws), while the core strengthening isn't a short term solution, mixing that and the stretching should keep you from cramping again (if it IS a weak core).
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch EVERYTHING prior to running, not just your legs. Also you need to be drinking water before, during, and after. That should help with the stitch you got in your side. Personally I burn about 100 cals every 10 mins of doing C25K. Hope that helps!
  • JustaT
    JustaT Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to get a creepy cramp (and occasionally still do) just under my shoulder blades in my back (occasionally under my ribs too). I always find that slowing my pace down a bit helps too. I think everyone here listed some great suggestions too.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    The cramp you are describing is called a side stitch. It is common among new runners. Here is an article about them: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa053100a.htm

Make sure you are getting enough potassium. For me, how I get rid of them is stop and walk. Since you're saying it's on your right side, I would lift my right arm over my head and lean a little to the left while walking to stretch it out. There are more suggestions in the article.
  • chocolatecat
    Options
    I would split it into 2 different exercises and log them seperately :)
  • aabelein
    aabelein Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!! these are some great answers!! i do drink enough water ( around 14 glasses a day on average) but i am not sure how much potassium im getting. i geuss some more bananas? lol. but i will def. try all of these out tonight when i go to do day 2 of the c25k. thanks again guys!! i really appreciate all the help!! :flowerforyou: :glasses: you guys are awesome!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!! these are some great answers!! i do drink enough water ( around 14 glasses a day on average) but i am not sure how much potassium im getting. i geuss some more bananas? lol. but i will def. try all of these out tonight when i go to do day 2 of the c25k. thanks again guys!! i really appreciate all the help!! :flowerforyou: :glasses: you guys are awesome!

actually there is a lot of food with more potassium than bananas. Go for sweet potato, regular potato, plain yogurt, tomatoes...etc. all have more potassium than bananas (and most have less sugar).
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

actually there is a lot of food with more potassium than bananas. Go for sweet potato, regular potato, plain yogurt, tomatoes...etc. all have more potassium than bananas (and most have less sugar).

Tomatoes?? I didn't know that one. I have now learned something new today. Thanks.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    another thing you can do for the cramp which works for me is just focusing on tighening/bracing whatever you want to call it your core/abs. and keep on moving as everyone else has said.