Hippies & Hippie lovers (maybe even Hipsters) needed

Options
Where are you MFP hippies, earth-mammas, homesteaders & earth-lovers!?

Calling all CSA members, aspartame-haters, garden-growers, raw milk defenders, farmer's market supporters, chicken coop-ers, composters, environmentalists, vegans, vegetarians, primals, paleos...

I need the support and ideas of some like-minded folks. Artificial sweeteners are not going to help me with my sugar addiction. Lean Cuisine is out of the question. Looking for some natural food and weight loss inspiration & new MFP friends to help me beat my sugar addiction & lose the weight.

Peace, love & understanding ;) Ha, ha!

Replies

• TCondor
    Options
    Groovy post. (and yes I user "Groovy" daily, does that count.)

Can't say I'm a vegetarian but I do try to shop for fresh produce and lean meats and am all about healthy substitutions in my cooking.

I've had on an off success w/gardening but have plans for a large garden in my back yard this coming season with the help of a few friends. Even hope to be growing some local ingredients for our local brew pub and my own brewing use.

So, if you'd like to share the support vibe and get on the magic bus, feel free to send me a friend request.

Peace -- TC
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    me me me! I am definitely a hippie/hipster/naturalist. We completely cut out milk and switched unsweetened almond milk. LOVE IT. We eat as organic as possible on a college kid budget. Grow our own veggies in the summer also.
  • Let me clarify something if you don't mind, the way a person eats does not make them a hippie, lol. But yeah, the Paleo diet is probably your best bet, since you will feel satisfied and allows fruit as well for your sugar cravings. Other than that, don't let this stuff stress you out. The best thing you can do is work hard at excercising.
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify something if you don't mind, the way a person eats does not make them a hippie, lol. But yeah, the Paleo diet is probably your best bet, since you will feel satisfied and allows fruit as well for your sugar cravings. Other than that, don't let this stuff stress you out. The best thing you can do is work hard at excercising.

Ha, ha. Yes, obviously I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek. I think I could learn some things from some of the more 'crunchy' people so I have to find a way to find them! I'm crunchy on the inside but frumpy on the outside, Ha! Hopefully not for much longer.
  • IslandRider
    Options
    Have you tried using Stevia? It works nicely and is very easy to grow. A few tsp of dried leaves equals a cup of sugar. You can also make your own extract by bringing 1/2 cup of leaves in 1 cup of water to a simmer (don't boil) turn heat off and steep for 40-45 mins then strain into a container. It'll last a couple of weeks in the fridge. No calories and only takes a few drops to sweeten a cup of tea.
  • trishaeich
    trishaeich Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Friend me! We've been converting over to all natural after I did some reading a few months back. I'd proudly strap on the title of hipster! :) I'm loving the organic's I'm find at our local supermarket. We grow our own veggies in summer in pots behind the house, and frequent our local farmers market. I won't use artificial sweetners either. I'd love to share more ideas! Sending you a request.
  • cjlong70
    Options
    Hi! I'm a primal/paleo-ish lover of home grown veggies and I've been meaning to try raw milk... does that count?
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    People generally call me a hippie. Probably because I have crazy long hair (over 3 1/2 feet long), wear lots of handmade clothes, garden extensively, am an eco-activist, legally changed my last name to something 'odd', etc...Feel free to add me :smile:
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Let me clarify something if you don't mind, the way a person eats does not make them a hippie, lol. But yeah, the Paleo diet is probably your best bet, since you will feel satisfied and allows fruit as well for your sugar cravings. Other than that, don't let this stuff stress you out. The best thing you can do is work hard at excercising.

Agree!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to see a "Come to (insert address here) and smoke a b with me", but alas, another misleading title.
  • Caguppie
    Options
    I was hoping to see a "Come to (insert address here) and smoke a b with me", but alas, another misleading title.

heh, heh.
  • Caguppie
    Options
    Hi! I'm a primal/paleo-ish lover of home grown veggies and I've been meaning to try raw milk... does that count?

totally. (sent you a request)

i'm just looking for some people who think about food & the earth like i do! how else to describe it but 'hippie' ? ;)
  • againagain
    againagain Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I sent a friend request already, but I thought I would respond to the thread too. I also live in a place where everyone is fit and healthy. This is my second time on here and I am determined to get healthy while still eating local, organic and sustainable. Not vegetarian at all though ;)

It would be awesome to have more friends on here who are like minded and active on here.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Well this too but FOCUS... you must remember to PASS that my friend...

Anyway... Stevia plant for natural sweetener you say? I'm listening. I got through my cravings by fighting them.. I am a chocoholic. Seriously, if I have it, I can't stop... 6 months ago a box of chocolates would be gone in no time, now, I have had a box of brownie bites I received from a client sitting on my desk for almost a month. There are two pieces missing... One by me, one by my counterpart. The first two weeks were the hardest fro me. I switched to artificial in my coffee and would occasionally allow myself something with a sweeteneer in it if things got desparate but I don't crave it anymore.

Like an alcoholic though, if I have even one bit, is is hard for me to turn it down again so I really do avoid it. I know it is there should I REALLY feel the need for it, but otherwise, when I think about having it I ask "is it worth it?" to myself... it helps me walk away. :)

I visit the farers market as often as possible. I prefer verggies fresh first, then frozen if needed. Canned veggies are a sad waste of a good food imo because I won't feed them to my dogs... I really keep meaning to try almond milk and just keep forgetting to grab it at the store (very habitual person here). I also saved 3 plants from the grips of death and now they are quite literally taking over our office.... My hair is very long... do I qualify yet? LOL
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I guess there are varying levels of crunchiness; while I'm not totally crunch-tastic, I would say I'm on the crunchier side of things, lol. We raise a few sheep on our property (grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free) for food, as well as chickens, have a pretty decent garden that we get a lot of produce from and try to eat as clean as possible. Would love to have raw milk, but alas, I can't afford it. So, for me, it's unsweetened almond milk for now. As for sweeteners, I'm all about honey and real maple syrup and try to stay away from refined sugar and artificial sweetener as much as possible. In fact, I'm really hoping that we can get a bee hive or two this Spring and start harvesting my own honey! Anyway, I am by no means perfect with any of this, but please feel free to add me :-)
  • dorkyhippy
    Options
    See my screenname. :) I'm all about finding hippie friends on here. I'm vegan, wheat free, humanist, activist but also friendly, easy going and non-judgy of lifestyles that aren't exactly like mine. Attaching myself to this thread to be added by anyone that's interested.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Unfortunately, I'm a hippie who doesn't really associate with other hippies.

I like my microwave and I really enjoy hot showers. And cupcakes.
  • SofaKingRad_
    Options
    OH MY GOD MY WORST NIGHTMARE!!! HIPPIES...HUNDREDS OF THEM!! I HAVE TO FLEE BEFORE I CHOKE ON PATCHOULLI GAS!! GAHHHH!!!

bart+scared.gif
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I smoke lot's of weed, does that count?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I smoke lot's of weed, does that count?

*rolls with Dani*

I'm generally a fan of most things you posted, but not raw milk. I just would like to warn everyone of the dangers involved in drinking it. People have died. There's a very good reason we pasteurize our milk, it's not some government mind control technique.

Before you go drinking raw milk and not vaccinating your kids, please do your homework. Lot of risk, no reward.