really struggling to hit calorie goals

Options
Since starting mfp again, I am finding it increasingly difficult to hit my goals especially my calorie goals - I am under a lot of the time - this makes me sad :(

I don't feel hungry throughout the day and although I exercise everyday I find it difficult to eat these calories on top of my calorie goal!

Any tips would be very helpful.

My macros are set at Protein 40%, Carbs 35% and Fats 25%

Replies

• db1106
    db1106 Posts: 42
    Options
    Peanut Butter or my personal favorite is to add Coconut Oil to my food and shakes through out the day. Easy to reach calories with either two.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat your exercise back. I've never eaten exercise calories and I'm still here to tell about it. As long as you're getting good nutrition from your food then stop eating when you aren't hungry.
  • db1106
    Options
    As long as you're getting good nutrition from your food then stop eating when you aren't hungry.

It sounds like you are recommending to not even track anything and go off your appetite. Hopefully I am just misreading this.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat your exercise back. I've never eaten exercise calories and I'm still here to tell about it. As long as you're getting good nutrition from your food then stop eating when you aren't hungry.

No you're not. You're dead. Your posts aren't real!

But yeah, if you are getting proper nutrition and are not stalling due to funky hormone times from excessive deficits, you're fine.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    do you like nuts? how about avocados? those are two calorie dense foods. a handful of nuts wont take up much space in your stomach and will give you the extra calories you need. also you might be eating more than you think... you should calculate your calories by your macros just to see

for instance:
    fat - 9 calories per gram
    protein - 4 calories per gram
    carbs - 4 calories per gram
    sugar - 4 calories per gram

(i think this is correct, please someone correct me if its not)

edited to show you... MFP tells me by my food logged that i have eaten 1,137 calories
    but going by my macros and using those calculations...
    fat - 15 x 9 = 135 calories
    protein - 56 x 4 = 224 calories
    carbs - 182 x 4 = 728 calories
    sugar - 56 x 4 = 224 calories

add them all together and we have 1,311 calories that ive eaten, not 1,137
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    OMG, just ignore the calorie goals, if you are not hungry just do not try & force food down

Why should you be sad because computer says "no"?

ignore the computer, and do not feel need to add exercise calories on top

Have a good read of the forums, very mixed opinions

Basically do not feel need , or guilty, to meet a computer generated programme of calorie intake
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not netting too low and getting your nutrients, you should be fine. Eat eggs, avocado, nuts, milk, and even popcorn (unsalted and unbuttered) to increase your calories.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Eat higher calorie foods. Switch to full fat milk, dressings/sauces, yogurts, etc. Eat peanut butter or nuts. Both have a high amount of calories for a small amount of food and both are filled with protein and healthy fats. Use olive/canola oils when cooking since both can add a lot of calories as well without adding more foods.

Drink some of the calories if you don't want more food.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, and you seem to be coming within a reasonable range of your calorie goals more often than not.

I did notice that you tend to not come close on protein, but over on carbs and fat. Maybe reassess where your macros are?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting good nutrition from your food then stop eating when you aren't hungry.

It sounds like you are recommending to not even track anything and go off your appetite. Hopefully I am just misreading this.

I'm saying if you've eaten a good balanced diet and you have 200 exercise calories left but aren't feeling hungry then why force yourself to eat something you don't want? I looked at her diary and she's averaging 1500 a day of decent meals so there's really no need to eat more if she isn't wanting it.
  • db1106
    Options
    ok, I misunderstood you:blushing:

I do not eat my exercise calories back either. Then again, I do not go off of MFP calorie requirements. I set my own. If I am under 200-300 calories and I am at the end of the day, I will just let it carry over for the weekend. It means 2 or 3 extra beers.:drinker:
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replies guys :) A lot of very helpful info which I will take on board very happily. I'm not worrying too much about what the computer says my main worry is my net - which due to the exercise is sometimes coming to a daily net of 3 figures...which surely can't be too good? or am i missing the point lol?