Truvia - yay or nay?

Options
What are your thoughts on Truvia (Stevia)
I'm particularly interested in any studies that have been done on it?
Better than aspartame surely, but better than splenda?

Replies

• DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Nay for me, but only because I'm allergic to it:ohwell:
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of any research on it as of yet, I've been milling around a bit but never dug in deep. Completely non-scientific though, my mother uses Stevia in her coffee (border-line diabetic, with PCOS and IBS) because if she uses Splenda it sets off her IBS symptoms, but she's fine with Splenda when it's cooked in something. Stevia doesn't seem to bake/cook as well as splenda does, so that's mainly why she hasn't kept with it in things other than her coffee.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=155300.0

I don't use many sweeteners anymore because I know they still raise insulin levels even when they're "calorie free", also I would rather have calories over chemicals.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I don't use any products that are owned by Coca-Cola or Pepsi. Truvia is owned via a joint venture between Coca-Cola and Cargill (another company I don't do business with) and Purvia is owned by Pepsi.

Neither one of these products are stevia and they are extremely processed products and aren't even Stevia.

http://www.bryanmarcel.com/truvia-and-purevia-are-not-stevia#
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    This thread will attract all the crazy sugar people
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    just read an article about the stuff and it has caused a ton of issues for people because of some additive! i avoid now

http://side-effects.owndoc.com/truvia-side-effects.php
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I figure stevia is made by a plant and is better than the chemically processed crap thats out their. But I rarely use any sugar other than what is in fruit I eat and or the little bit of bad stuff I have.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I gave up Splenda and tried Stevia, but it's just disgusting to me. I just use honey now (yes, even in my coffee) and my skin has cleared up dramatically! Don't know if there's a connection, but I'll take my calories. Plus, local honey helps with my allergies.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    It's a yay from me but, to be honest, I haven't looked it up to see if it's as unhealthy as aspartame. However, I only have it once or twice a week on porridge so I'm sure it can't be that harmful. It smells and tastes fine!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I figure stevia is made by a plant and is better than the chemically processed crap thats out their. But I rarely use any sugar other than what is in fruit I eat and or the little bit of bad stuff I have.

That is where Coke and Pepsi have people snowballed. Purevia and Truvia are NOT even Stevia and they are just as chemically processed as the other artificial sweeteners.

I was crushing my own Stevia straight from the plant with a mortar and pestule but my plant died and so many people started buying the plants at our Farmers Market that she has a hard time keeping them.

I mainly use raw honey for things if I need to on occasion. It comes from a man right down the road from where we live.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    At home, I use stevia--my favorite is the Central Market brand. I also purchase the Zevia brand colas that are sweetened with stevia. They're produced in Canada and a little pricey. They're becoming easier to locate in the U.S. All the research I've found online tells me stevia is safer than aspartame, sucralose (Splenda), and saccharine. I like the taste of all the sweeteners, with the exception of saccharine, but I use regular sugar when stevia is not available. Aspartame seems to have the most dangerous effects.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Stevia is all natural and from everything I've read about it, it has no side effects of any kind.
    I have used it many times but after using Splenda for years, I'm having trouble getting used to the taste. Coffee is all I use it for.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Stevia is all natural and from everything I've read about it, it has no side effects of any kind.
    I have used it many times but after using Splenda for years, I'm having trouble getting used to the taste. Coffee is all I use it for.

Keep in mind that Purevia and Truvia are NOT Stevia.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Personally I believe unless you have a sensitivity to any of the sugars or sweeteners on the market there is no other reason to stay away from them. No conclusive studies on humans have been done to prove the issues many believe.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I see it around. I'd rather have the calories from sugar, honey or agave.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Here is an article showing the real story about Truvia, and what the FDA doesn’t want YOU to know about!

“We are being hoodwinked again by the FDA and Big Business – the Coca Cola Company, feeling the heat of an increasing consumer rebellion against carcinogenic sweeteners like Aspartame, managed to beg, bribe and bully the FDA into approving Truvia(TM), also-known-as Rebiana.

Truvia has gotten GRAS (“generally regarded as safe”) status – but not Stevia. First of all, it took chutspa to call it “Truvia”, as if Stevia somehow isn’t the real thing!

Secondly, tales of Truvia(TM) side effects are starting to appear. All those editorials about how wonderful it is that “Stevia is now FDA-approved” were just grossly misleading advertisements for Coca Cola’s new “Stevia-sweetened” soda pop. It’s a hoax, folks! And the dime-a-dozen “health sites” are taking the bait hook, line and sinker. The FDA was bribed, blackmailed and bullied to approve Aspartame.

Truvia(TM), AKA RebianaŽ is an abbreviation for Rebaudioside A, one of the many sweet-tasting compounds in Stevia. Rebaudioside A has the least bitter after-taste of all compounds in natural Stevia, that’s why the Coca Cola Company, faced with mounting consumer pressure to remove Aspartame from their products got it rushed to FDA approval.

There are worrying reports about Truvia side effects.

Read for yourself............

http://owndoc.com/category/stevia/

But Stevia is still banned as a food additive or sweetener in the US, Europe and many other countries.
  • LSwan2
    LSwan2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use stevia regularly in my coffee and yogurt drinks that I make. I have done reading about stevia and it is suppose to be very healthy for you. Don't know about truvia, never used it.
  • ekking69
    Options
    I have severe headaches to other artificial sweeteners so I gave Truvia/Stevia a try. On the occasional usage, it was fine. Then I started using a protein bar that had it and I ate one on a daily basis. I got such severe headaches it took 3 days to clear out my system. Now I can't touch the slightest amount without getting another headache. I would steer clear of all sweeteners.