New to running - What to wear??

Options
So I started C25K and I really like it, but being a beginner I am confused about what exactly to wear.

Right now I've been wearing sneakers, leggings, a t-shirt, and my big sweatshirt to keep warm. I am looking to buy some ear muffs to keep my ears warm on runs.
What do I do with my phone/ keys? I'm at college, so I need to keep both my door key and my id on me, which usually are on a lanyard. I don't like this jingling around in my pocket though, so if anyone has some insight let me know! Usually I end up holding my phone (which is tracking my progress/ playing music)

Any tips from the pros about keeping warm/ storing stuff/ staying comfortable would be great!!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You can get something like this to hold your stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/FuelBelt-3409-Wachusett-Belt-Black/dp/B000FJ6LGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354739623&sr=8-1&keywords=fuel+belt

They make them without the water bottles (which you won't need for short distances).

As far as clothing goes, a good base layer like Under Armour Cold Gear (Target makes a knock off version - it's what I use), with a driweave layer on top. Then, a good jacket on top of that. I'm hoping to get this one for Christmas:

http://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Womens-Nightlife-Jacket-Small/dp/B0059ARP3G/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1354739759&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=brooks+night+life+jacket

An armband for your phone - you can get them at Walmart or Best Buy or any running store. And either a headband or hat with a dri-weave lining for your head.

My only advice is: avoid cotton! It hold moisture and can cause chafing and irritation. Go for sports materials - driweave is great.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but I did finish C25K and I have some newbie running gear that I like a lot.

I wear leggings (many people have recommended the compression leggings from Old Navy), a short-sleeved tech t-shirt (the fast drying kind), a long sleeved tech pullover, gloves, and a hat. Earmuffs or an earband would be handy. I got my tech clothes from Target - the Champion brand. I adore my pullover:

http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-women-s-premium-1-4-zip-jacket-assorted-colors/-/A-13991841#prodSlot=large_1_3

The other gear I have is a spibelt. It is a small neoprene pouch that goes around your waist. It looks deceptively small, but I can fit my iphone and keys in there. I have found it quite comfortable. It does not move around at all.

Whatever makes you comfortable is fine - when you start out you should be a little cold as you will warm up and even get hot in cold weather.

Kudos for starting C25K - it's a great programs! Enjoy it!
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    Underarmour will keep you warm. You can buy shorts and leggings that a small zipper pocket on the back of the waistband that is just big enough for Id, credit card, key. I would take the key you use off the lanyard. I got mine at old navy. But Nike, Adidas and all the name brands also make shorts, skirts, leggings with these for runners. On my ears I use an ear warmer band. You can get those at Walmart. I never carry my phone with me when I run, so no advice there.
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I never even thought of a special jacket - but it seems as though the pockets would be perfect for holding my keys, etc. without it bouncing all around like in a sweatshirt.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Personally I use this handpod to hold my phone and a house key.

http://www.amphipod.com/products/holders/music/electronics/handpod-smartview

The ones you wear on your arm are nice too if you don't want to hold the phone. It has a pocket inside you can keep your id and a key in. You can probably buy something like this in just about any store. Most of them are made for iPhones but there are quite a few that work well with android style phones too.

Shoes, get properly fitted for some good shoes when you get the chance. The ones you have now are probably fine to start with but once you start hitting up close to 20 miles a week, get some new ones.

Shorts. I always wear shorts no matter how cold it is. Wear leggings if you like. Lots of people do.

Shirt. I typically wear a dri-fit style shirt. If it's below 40 I wear a cotton tank with a long sleeve dri-fit over that. If it's not windy or cloudy I usually end up taking the outer shirt off after a few miles.

Wearing some thing for your ears isn't a bad idea. I've gone out with a beanie on my head several times. It feels good for a while but I end up getting a sweaty soaked head so I quit doing that. Maybe if it gets down around 30 or colder I'll put it back on. Wear whatever you like but you should dress like it's 15 degrees warmer outside than it really is if you're doing more than a mile because you'll just end up getting too hot if you dress like you're going to go out and walk the dog. Wear layers you can take off as you go.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i prefer not to have anything bulky on as it interferes with my running (or so i think it does). on cold days i wear leggings, sports bra, tight tank, short sleeve running shirt, long sleeve running shirt and a thin running jacket. oh and i have a pink hat and pink gloves. after a while you'll warm up. on a really cold day i also wear a fleece sleeveless jacket.

i prefer not to listen to music so i can hear cars or other people around me. as for where to keep my stuff, stuffed in my sports bra. when i run outside at lunchtime (during workweek), phone and id badge go in my sports bra. on the weekends i have phone in there and keys tied to my shoelace.
  • amyplaysflute
    Options
    My boobies are too big to shove anything in my sports bra haha - thanks though!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If you're not wearing compression shorts or leggings I'm also going to recommend that you apply a little bit of this on the inside of your thighs if you're doing more than 5 miles.

f98145dcb5fd571e9873e9f8012f4a2c.jpg
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    I prefer dri-fit shirts that are snug, but not skin tight; Compression leggings/pants or shorts; A dri-fit half zip/jacket; Sports bra. Cold weather running: gloves, ear muffs/warmer...just make sure you don't dress too warm! I'm a cold natured person, but I warm up really fast when running, so I normally wear a short sleeved shirt with a jacket or half zip and gloves. I have found good deals on running apparel at TJ Maxx, Old Navy, Target, Ebay and Amazon.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I only carry a key and I thread it through my shoe laces.
  • amyplaysflute
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips guys!

I can't use the old shoelace key trick because I need my ID too to get back in my building.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you get an armband for your phone, you could slip your key and your ID in behind your phone - I've done that with mine. Works great. Check Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Ross for an armband - I picked mine up for less than 10 bucks at TJ Maxx.

Those stores are also good for finding good name brand running gear for a lot less. Great place to pick up long sleeved dri-weave tops, shorts/capris/pants, etc. And I always check the equipment area (both mens and womens) for running gear, like the small waist belts, water bottles, gloves and things like that. Great savings over regular retail!
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I hate wearing leggings because they ride down. I prefer shorts but I haven't run in super cold weather.
    I usually run a little over 3 miles and I bring my backpack. It's a small backpack that I got at big5 for like $30. I have a water bladder, my phone, and ipod in there. Even though it's a fairly short distance I like to have water on me in case of an emergency (plus it's very accessible in the bladder).