Calorie intake?

Options

Replies

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Even with a small stomach, it is easy to up your calories. a PB & J has 300 or more calories! add some olive oil to what you're cooking and you've added 100 + calories with just a table spoon. A little avocado or cheese quickly adds calories.

It's more difficult when you're the fussiest eater in the entire world and don't like eating anything that takes time to make :P

I am sure there are plenty of people that would love to just take a spoon to the peanut butter jar :) No time at all and a billion calories
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    When someone states that they cannot eat more than 300 calories in a meal I have to think that they either dislike most food, can't count or are using this as an eating disorder excuse.

A medium croissant and a milkcoffee? 360 calories
    A small ham and cheese sandwich with mayo and mustard? 420 calories
    Large french fries? 500 calories
    140 g of chicken and a glass of milk? 350 calories
    A cup of muesli and milk? 500 calories or more
    60 g of cashews? 330 calories

I am not challenging that some people do eat and have a normal metabolism at below 1200 calories. However, if/when I read that it is "because I can't fit it, because I'm full at less than 300 cals per meal" that raises red flags.

Someone eating 600 or 900 cals a day and exercising 3/4 times a week? Or someone else regularly trying to net zero (eating - exercise)?

That's a full blown ED, hormonal dysfunction or other medical issue. Take your choice.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Try one of my smoothies, you'll easily take in well over 1000 per sitting (or two if you break it for breakfast and say midday). Simply food choice.

I don't really need it for energy or anything. I can't exactly handle a whole smoothie, or a whole lot of fat or sugar (especially fat) at a time.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Try one of my smoothies, you'll easily take in well over 1000 per sitting (or two if you break it for breakfast and say midday). Simply food choice.

I don't really need it for energy or anything. I can't exactly handle a whole smoothie, or a whole lot of fat or sugar (especially fat) at a time.

You sound like you have an ED or something wrong with your stomach if you seriously can't eat 1200 calories per day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

You sound like you have an ED or something wrong with your stomach if you seriously can't eat 1200 calories per day.

no offense but this.

logging everything is a good idea but logging three calories of cinnamon and eating 800 cals a day?

please get some help
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options

no offense but this.

logging everything is a good idea but logging three calories of cinnamon and eating 800 cals a day?

please get some help

I'd say the fact she has a section called 'regrets' in the food log speaks volumes.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Of course, I do recommend trying to fit some extra calories in for the OP :)
    It's just a hard thing for me to do, but I think it's important to try.

Can we get a couple stats?

Weight
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Workout routine

Looking at your diary I can already tell you that you are doing it wrong....

Height: 5'8
    Weight: 130 lbs
    Body fat%: no clue, I haven't been tested
    Workout routine: I've never had any sort of routine in my life, chaos is my middle name. I exercise sometimes.

This stuff IS all on my profile...

A woman of your height and weight with Light activity:

BMR 1420
    TDEE 1953

Underweight by 14lbs but still in the lower part of normal weight.
    Any lower and youll be underweight.

Perfect weight for you is appx 144lbs.

To lose fat you shouldnt go below 1600 due to LBM loss.

You are dieting wrong.

Hows the monthly cycle?
  • Moosycakes
    Options

Weight
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Workout routine

Workout routine: I've never had any sort of routine in my life, chaos is my middle name. I exercise sometimes.

BMR 1420
    TDEE 1953

You are dieting wrong.

Hows the monthly cycle?

144?! I've never been 144 in my life! Highest I've been would probably be about 134.
    What areyou using to figure out that weight? Just curious.

And the monthly cycle is fine, thanks xD
    Nice and... cycley :P
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Weight
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Workout routine

BMR 1420
    TDEE 1953

You are dieting wrong.

Hows the monthly cycle?

144?! I've never been 144 in my life! Highest I've been would probably be about 134.

Just using a program that helps figure out fitness goals/calories etc.

What are you using MFP for?
    Weight loss?
    Body recomposition?
    Tracking exercise?

It's a good thing your cycle is fine!
    How long have you been eating so low?
    Maybe you've reduced BMR so much that you don't need much to survive.
    With that said, you've probably also created a set point and this won't lose anymore fat without extreme measures.
  • Moosycakes
    Options

Weight
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Workout routine

BMR 1420
    TDEE 1953

You are dieting wrong.

Hows the monthly cycle?

Just using a program that helps figure out fitness goals/calories etc.

What are you using MFP for?
    Weight loss?
    Body recomposition?
    Tracking exercise?

It's a good thing your cycle is fine!
    How long have you been eating so low?
    Maybe you've reduced BMR so much that you don't need much to survive.
    With that said, you've probably also created a set point and this won't lose anymore fat without extreme measures.

Mostly interest in knowing what I eat, a bit for weight loss as well.

I don't know how long, I haven't been tracking for that long :)
    Maybe I'm subconciously training myself for possible world food shortages.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not hard to achieve. Eat real food, yogurt, cheese, eggs, avocado, nuts, peanut butter, oils are easy ways to add some calories.

Exactly. It is NOT hard to hit your calorie goal, especially at 1200. Eating less than that is NOT good. In fact, I suspect you should be eating more, because I'm sure your bmr is above that.
    I'm big on adding avocado to salads, eating plain greek yogurt, eating almonds, Cashews & pistachios. it's super easy to eat the right foods and hit your calories.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

if people don't like food that much and can't eat more then how did they get in a predicament where they now need to lose weight (barring the medication induced gains and health issues).

My question as well?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

"can't handle"...what does that even mean?
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My head hurts...
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    O_o
    Eat a couple pieces of chocolate?
    Or like a spoonful of peanut butter?

It's not that hard to reach 1200 unless you have an eating disorder.
  • Moosycakes
    Options

Makes me feel sicky :3
    I actually do feel really horrid when I have too much fat or sugar. I get the headache, I get tired, and I feel very nauseous- last time I ate a lot I threw up a bit in my mouth, but I swallowed it back down because I hate vomiting :P
    If I eat too much of anything, I just get so much pressure pushing on the inside of my stomach that it feels like it's gonna burst, really uncomfortable.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm not naming names or pointing fingers, but I smell some eating disorder eaters around here........ I know you know who you are. Please be careful with your health.

As for the OP - Check your BMR, and go from there. More importanly, perhaps speaking with a nutritionist would be a good plan...
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options

I actually do feel really horrid when I have too much fat or sugar. I get the headache, I get tired, and I feel very nauseous- last time I ate a lot I threw up a bit in my mouth, but I swallowed it back down because I hate vomiting :P
    If I eat too much of anything, I just get so much pressure pushing on the inside of my stomach that it feels like it's gonna burst, really uncomfortable.

I have a sister with a medical condition where food doesn't process out of her stomach quickly enough and she always feels full. You might wanna have that looked into... It's called gastroparesis (not sure on the spelling).
  • Moosycakes
    Options

I have a sister with a medical condition where food doesn't process out of her stomach quickly enough and she always feels full. You might wanna have that looked into... It's called gastroparesis (not sure on the spelling).

Oh really? That sounds interesting, thanks for the info! :)
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options

This is the craziest thread ever...if you "can't handle" the food or whatever, why are you even asking for advice at all? You just say you can't or aren't able to do anything suggested. If you put anything in your mouth at all there are ways to up the calories...so, like a broken record for everyone here I will repeat...olive oil, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, eggs, cheese, etc. etc. You can also eat sesame seeds-they are tiny-you can do it! Salad dressing, dark chocolate and anything else that is calorie dense yet not terribly unhealthy. You don't have to eat a lot of food to meet calorie requirements, just eat different foods.