Trying on Wedding Dress ~ help!

OspreyVista
OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
I'm trying to get everything done WAY ahead of schedule. We got engaged last December, we chose our Wedding date in march and set it for May 31st 2014. It is now less than 1 year 6 months away :) We've got our place picked out, booked, and our hotel rooms booked for the days we need. I'm really wanting to get my dress no later than 1 year before our wedding, I know some people think this is crazy, but I really want to be way ahead. I have a wedding dress shop that I made an appointment for on Friday.

The issue I'm having: When I went into the wedding dress shop and asked questions, they made it seem like they'd be really pissed off if they spent a few hours and I didn't actually buy a wedding dress. They really pushed me to "be ready to buy one now". The thing is, my fiance doesn't want me to make an impulse buy with it, and I agree. I wouldn't buy a house after looking at it for 5 minutes or 1 day, why would I with a wedding dress? They are friendly, and helpful, but really pushy too. And there really isn't anywhere else to go for wedding dresses where I live that has such a great selection for a cheap price, as I have to pay for my own wedding dress, and I don't want to pay a lot for one.

My question is for anyone who's bought a wedding dress that hasn't bought it in the same day, what were your tricks of NOT letting yourself buy one the same day even if you fell in love with one? What are your suggestions on how to achieve walking out without buying it the same day, but not pissing off the employees?

Replies

• DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    I'm trying to get everything done WAY ahead of schedule. We got engaged last December, we chose our Wedding date in march and set it for May 31st 2014. It is now less than 1 year 6 months away :) We've got our place picked out, booked, and our hotel rooms booked for the days we need. I'm really wanting to get my dress no later than 1 year before our wedding, I know some people think this is crazy, but I really want to be way ahead. I have a wedding dress shop that I made an appointment for on Friday.

The issue I'm having: When I went into the wedding dress shop and asked questions, they made it seem like they'd be really pissed off if they spent a few hours and I didn't actually buy a wedding dress. They really pushed me to "be ready to buy one now". The thing is, my fiance doesn't want me to make an impulse buy with it, and I agree. I wouldn't buy a house after looking at it for 5 minutes or 1 day, why would I with a wedding dress? They are friendly, and helpful, but really pushy too. And there really isn't anywhere else to go for wedding dresses where I live that has such a great selection for a cheap price, as I have to pay for my own wedding dress, and I don't want to pay a lot for one.

My question is for anyone who's bought a wedding dress that hasn't bought it in the same day, what were your tricks of NOT letting yourself buy one the same day even if you fell in love with one? What are your suggestions on how to achieve walking out without buying it the same day, but not pissing off the employees?

Just go in knowing that you have over a year to pick the right dress and with the decision made that you won't be buying the first one you tried on. I was so glad I waited to buy my dress. We got engaged February of 2007. My sister-in-law at the time took me dress shopping shortly afterwards. Everything I tried on made me look like an overstuffed cupcake which I hated. I eventually found the perfect dress in a local Goodwill Store new with tags and only 1 or 2 sizes two small which gave me plenty of time to lose weight to fit it. You are the customer and they have no right to treat you that way. It is your day. Don't be bullied into buying something that you will not be completely satisfied and comfortable with.
  • OspreyVista

Just go in knowing that you have over a year to pick the right dress and with the decision made that you won't be buying the first one you tried on. I was so glad I waited to buy my dress. We got engaged February of 2007. My sister-in-law at the time took me dress shopping shortly afterwards. Everything I tried on made me look like an overstuffed cupcake which I hated. I eventually found the perfect dress in a local Goodwill Store new with tags and only 1 or 2 sizes two small which gave me plenty of time to lose weight to fit it. You are the customer and they have no right to treat you that way. It is your day. Don't be bullied into buying something that you will not be completely satisfied and comfortable with.

I don't want to buy one right away, I have at least 15 lbs to go before I want to buy one. It's that looking at them on the rack doesn't do me any good, because I can't tell if I will like it or not when it's not on me. There is so much there too, and it's overwhelming. I don't want to just look anymore because it's not doing any good, and I feel like I could end up taking months to find something, and don't want it being too late!
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    You do have over a year, dear. I understand wanting to be ahead of the game, but in actuality your dress is the one thing you can't rush.
  • AlmostFamous29
    AlmostFamous29 Posts: 5 Member
    this exact thing sort of happened to me before my wedding. I had weight to lose and I was just looking at my options. Well they sure pushed me into it. They were extremely good at making me feel like I had made the right decision, and later on , I felt so bad and still have some regrets about what I wanted to look like. I got the dress in a size 8, and by the time it came to tailoring it, they had to take it down to a size 4 which cost about $300.00.

If I were you, I would maybe take your girls for a trip out of town (I live in a small town too with only 2 dress shops, so you certainly don't want to piss them off) and just try stuff on. Do this a couple of times, and you will have a great idea of what you want in a dress, and then go to the local shop.
  • OspreyVista
    this exact thing sort of happened to me before my wedding. I had weight to lose and I was just looking at my options. Well they sure pushed me into it. They were extremely good at making me feel like I had made the right decision, and later on , I felt so bad and still have some regrets about what I wanted to look like. I got the dress in a size 8, and by the time it came to tailoring it, they had to take it down to a size 4 which cost about $300.00.

If I were you, I would maybe take your girls for a trip out of town (I live in a small town too with only 2 dress shops, so you certainly don't want to piss them off) and just try stuff on. Do this a couple of times, and you will have a great idea of what you want in a dress, and then go to the local shop.

That's actually a great idea! :) Thank you, I might have to use it!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Don't rush it. I went shopping a few months ago, tried on some dresses I loved. However, I'm not sure I loved them enough and I bought none.

I truly think there is pressure because they DO spend a lot of time, but brides want the perfect dress. And you know what. You deserve the perfect dress.

Screw what they say. Find a less pressure place to get a good idea what you like.. go from there.
  • Raivyn
    Raivyn Posts: 6 Member
    go elsewhere and start shopping around. That will give you an idea of whats out there, what styles you might prefer and what ones to stay away from. Take lots of pics of likes and dont likes, print and mark them for reference. Plus you can price shop, just in case this store just happens NOT to be the cheapest for a dress or two. Once you have a good idea of what you want, are feeling confident, and ready, THEN go back to the dress store and bring ALL your research with you. Tell them you are ready to buy (even if your not), don't let them push you around and make them work for it! Then if you find the perfect dress at least they've earned your business. And if you still are iffy on buying, they can deal with it because its YOUR special day and NOT theirs. Plus this will give you a good 3 - 6 moths to continue on your goal while you are shopping elsewhere. Do not let them guilt you if you don't find anything the first time. It's normal to make 2 or 3 trips, plus you may want different opinions before you buy.