Shoulder pain while benching?

Options
I just got back into 5x5 lifting For the past several months. Things are going very well but I am having pain in my shoulders through my third regular set while benching. I moved to 7 sets instead of five but it still takes 3 sets until the pain goes away. I thought I could move more slowly toward my failure weight so I don't hurt something. In the past 6 weeks my last set has gone from 250lbs to 270lbs. I move up by 5lbs whenever I get five reps on my last set. I have the same pain in my shoulders through my first couple sets of military press on shoulder days. Any tips on how to warm up or could there be something I'm doing wrong in my form? I normally just do a couple of sets with light weight and high reps. Thanks

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Flat bench pressing is very hard on shoulders. If you're experiencing pain, I strongly recommend that you don't push thru it. Try replacing bench with either incline bench or dumbbell bench.

Also, YouTube rotator cuff exercises and start doing a few. It could very well not be anything like this, but strengthening your rotator cuff is never a bad thing
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    When lying on your back are you bringing your shoulder blades together?
    where are your elbows before you press?
    45degrees?
    90degrees?
  • 34000volts
    34000volts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My shoulders blades do come together and my arms are at 90%. the pain is also located in the front of the shoulder muscles.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Adding that if you're going to modify, do less work sets, not more. Add some light warmup, get to your max weight asap, get out. Don't drag out additional sets. Repetition kills
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you are experiencing pain when benching it could be a form issue. Elbows could be flaring out too much, grip is too wide, or your form just sucks. The best thing to do is video your next session and have someone experienced in bench form look at it. You could also watch this series on youtube, called "So you think you can bench" Very valuable information. Watch it and then watch it some more. Watch it one more time for poops & chuckles.
  • 34000volts
    34000volts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'll check it out, thanks