My fat stomach -__-

Options
2»

Replies

• sskitka
    sskitka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and any compound strength exercises, watch your sodium to avoid bloat and keep trying!

Your belly probably hasnt gotten bigger, it may just look softer because your limbs are leaning up.

Whats a dead lift like a Clean & Jerk??
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights. Squats, deadlifts, etc. I didn't notice much of a difference in my midsection until I started lifting weights again. It's only been a few months and I've already seen positive changes.

Agreed. I have been lifting heavy for three months and I have noticed the MOST difference in my midsection.

I'll echo this too. I had a flubbery tummy, and didn't see much difference until I started going heavier with the weights. My stomach was pretty stubborn, much like you're describing, and I now have semi-visible abs. No six pack here (not sure it's genetically possible for me) but I do have some vertical ab lines going on. I'm ok with that.

I got to where I am by alternating yoga, heavy lifting, and ballet. Little to no cardio, mostly just clean diet. I'm incorporating interval training now, and it seems to be helping me burn these last couple percent of body fat I'm holding on to.

PS: The key here is just time and consistency. Don't expect results in 2 months. Expect to put in hard work for 6 months to a year to see a toned mid section.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am having pretty good results with Bodyweight type exercises. Planks, Push Ups, Russian Twists (I use a 20# weight for RT), dive bomber push ups, etc. and yoga.
    I may need to add some heavier weights to make them look fabulous. But they are pretty good, especially after having a melon size fibroid and a hysterectomy in May, I think.

For my eating, I have my macros set to 40%-Carbs, 30%-fat, 30%- protein.

(Ps-I didn't have a whole lot of tommy flab to begin with I guess. I went from 150# to 135#,,,if that changes anything)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 Day Shred, I'm on day8 (or is it 7?), level 1 and my fat stomach is higher, but no loss in inches.
  • jibbs89
    Options
    Well see the thing is, my stomach was never really "overly stretched" to begin with...Since I'm tall for a girl, my pounds I gained were distributed all over my body so I was just generally bigger, not necessarily like a potruding stomach or anything. So now that I've lost weight and I'm looking at my body, my stomach seems bigger than it was before...like it's hard to describe but my stomach before the 23 pounds was not "flat" like a VS model but it was still a "straight" surface, just bigger than before. Does that make sense? lol

And I do lift weights as well. I do strength training, then about 45-50 minutes of cardio, and stretch really well at the end. But should I just not do the ab exercises then??

And also, I have no idea what a dead lift is so if y'all are gonna say that you have to explain to this newbie how to do it
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • sskitka
    sskitka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also recommend lots of lotion to the belly as skin care will help the elasticity of the skin as you loose. I have seen it done I hope it still can be done. I am trying anyways
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    So I've lost 23 pounds so far, and I admit that I have noticed changes across my body (subtle changes because I'm kinda tall) but seriously I'm almost 100% sure my stomach has not budged one bit, if not gotten even bigger. I swear it looks just much softer, jigglier....just, worse than it was when I started.

It feels really pointless for me to even do ab exercises when my muscles are just covered up by all that fat...
    Anyone have pointers for this? AKA should I do the ab exercises anyway even though my muscles literally are no where even remotely close to showing?

Tips/moves that target belly fat burn? (I know you can't target reduce, but I have seen where some activities are proven to burn your gut off more than others)

Anyone used to have a Pillsbury doughboy stomach like me and shed it all off & have abs now? (please oh please just someone tell me they've done it and it is possible. I'm losing hope.)

We are all genetically programmed to have stubborn fat in some areas. I don't have the problem with belly fat (other than my face, it is where I lose first) but I have the problem with my thighs (especially around my knees). *sigh* I have my mother's thighs. But even stubborn fat pads will yield to a lowering of body fat. Lose enough fat (losing lean tissue is obviously counter-productive to losing body fat) and you will lose stubborn belly fat. I would tackle the issue from the dietary side rather than the exercise side (although burning fat through exercise is part of the task). You can do ab crunches till the cows come home and all you will get is big abdominal muscles that will make your belly fat look worse because it pushes it out (ever see the belly on heavy weight lifters?) There are foods that contribute specifically to a lowering of belly fat. Apples, walnuts (nuts in general) olives, avocados and lean meats will help to strip off belly fat. Grain products, especially wheat contribute to belly fat. There is a book called, Wheat Belly, that speaks to the issue of how grain makes us fat (after all, it is what they use on feedlots to fatten cattle for slaughter). Obviously, sugar is a no-no as well, for anyone who is trying to lose body fat.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    deadlift:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpsSQnsJjnAuucE12arnTaBAmmou-YS4zJVc46P1g9tP9s_peH2k1N9tWR

The key is to keep your neck neutral, and ad a good butt squeeze at the top. These are GREAT for your booty too.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am also a tall girl (5'11), and most of my height is in my limbs (I have a 36inch inseam).....I can totally identify with your frustration about your stomach...I was in the same exact boat.... I started doing Tiffany Rothe's lower ab workout regularly (part 2 is better than part 1), and have started seeing a noticeable difference. Hope this helps! It is only 10minutes, and I included a link below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7kcKvtcziI

BUMP
  • PoliticalRN
    PoliticalRN Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    So I've lost 23 pounds so far, and I admit that I have noticed changes across my body (subtle changes because I'm kinda tall) but seriously I'm almost 100% sure my stomach has not budged one bit, if not gotten even bigger. I swear it looks just much softer, jigglier....just, worse than it was when I started.

It feels really pointless for me to even do ab exercises when my muscles are just covered up by all that fat...
    Anyone have pointers for this? AKA should I do the ab exercises anyway even though my muscles literally are no where even remotely close to showing?

Tips/moves that target belly fat burn? (I know you can't target reduce, but I have seen where some activities are proven to burn your gut off more than others)

Anyone used to have a Pillsbury doughboy stomach like me and shed it all off & have abs now? (please oh please just someone tell me they've done it and it is possible. I'm losing hope.)
    In order to take off the layer of fat off of your muscle you MUST do cardio. No matter how much you do muscle building exercises to build your muscle you will not be successful removing the layer of ab fat. Look for a workout program that does both. I'm doing a program called RevAbs by Team Beach Body that incorporates strength, cardio, and resistance and I am seeing my 6 pack appear after 31 days of 6 days a week workout. I was more than a Pillsbury Doughboy poster child but I am now lean and athletically muscular including my abs. It took a lot of work and discipline but I'm there. It's been 8 months since I made the commitment to get healthy and it has paid off. I even earned a T-shirt from the Insanity program after sending in my before and after photos. Believe me when I say it can be done. I am also a Registered Nurse and I do understand physiology so don't let anyone tell you that you were born in a way that you cannot reach your goals. I will never say it's easy but it can be done! If you want you can check out this site and see before and after photos of people who you would never believe made the transition for better health! Good luck.
  • jibbs89
    Options
    how do dead lifts help abs though?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    how do dead lifts help abs though?
    If you do a deadlift you will understand.

Your abs are engaged when you do exercises like deadlifts and squats. I stopped doing ab work years ago. Even then it was very little ab work.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    deadlift:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpsSQnsJjnAuucE12arnTaBAmmou-YS4zJVc46P1g9tP9s_peH2k1N9tWR

The key is to keep your neck neutral, and ad a good butt squeeze at the top. These are GREAT for your booty too.
    Squeeze? No, if you mean the lockout, that is a power lifting technique for verification of weight during comp. You don't need to do that when you deadlift.

Here is video of a correct deadlift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUYP8Pq01iw

Notice the lack of a "lockout" at the end.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Lose body fat and do squats (and other compound lifts).
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options

In order to take off the layer of fat off of your muscle you MUST do cardio. No matter how much you do muscle building exercises to build your muscle you will not be successful removing the layer of ab fat. Look for a workout program that does both. I'm doing a program called RevAbs by Team Beach Body that incorporates strength, cardio, and resistance and I am seeing my 6 pack appear after 31 days of 6 days a week workout. I was more than a Pillsbury Doughboy poster child but I am now lean and athletically muscular including my abs. It took a lot of work and discipline but I'm there. It's been 8 months since I made the commitment to get healthy and it has paid off. I even earned a T-shirt from the Insanity program after sending in my before and after photos. Believe me when I say it can be done. I am also a Registered Nurse and I do understand physiology so don't let anyone tell you that you were born in a way that you cannot reach your goals. I will never say it's easy but it can be done! If you want you can check out this site and see before and after photos of people who you would never believe made the transition for better health! Good luck.
    Actually, it's more about calories. You can do CARDIO all day, overeat and not lose any fat. Fat is lost when there is calorie deficity and catabolism is minimal. That CAN be achieved without doing cardio. Does cardio help? It increases total calorie burn when combined with a good strength training program, but just doing cardio alone won't etch in abs. If it were true, then endurance athletes would look much more muscularly defined than "speed" athletes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen... So cut all processed carbs and junk food.

^^^Totally unnecessary
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    its loose skin give it time
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Well, my stomach is the same way. I will lose fat everywhere but the stomach will go last.

When you get closer to a goal weight, you may see the stomach fat shift, and a slight hint of muscle underneath.

Be patient. For apple shapes it is really hard to get lean and toned abs. It requires a lower body fat than other shapes would require. I am down to 21% and am nowhere near a flat stomach.

It is really down to your genetics. I suppose you could do core exercises but those won't be visible at a higher body fat.