Squats! Help!

Options

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS EVERAYBODHAY SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS

Not how to do it:
    aGbwh.gif
  • XL Athlete is probably your best source for properly doing an exercise. There you will find everything you need to know. I know this because we use their baseline for my type of work. FYI its being used by professionals on anything from geting better at your vertical jump or recovering from an injury. The best thing is that its free, this is the website, http://www.xlathlete.com/browse_admin.jsp;jsessionid=18209C3E365E30CB6B65B58BAF614354?browse_kind=2
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    hmmm are your feet out wide enough? do you look up when your squatting? (this helped my balance) definately go without weights at first, form is crucial. i really effed up my lower back doing squats wrong!
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had that problem. I found that with developing all the muscles required for the squat (the whole leg, core), a little wider stance, practice, and some rhythm, the problem worked it self out. I concentrate on keeping the weight on my heels.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions to widen your stance and to not go quite so low (shallower squat). I have knee issues during wet or cold weather, and on those days, I just widen a little and don't go quite so low. You still get a workout.
  • buchbrun64
    Options
    I know for me, the fact that I am so tight has compromised my squats. I am working on more stretching for flexibility. They are getting better but I have been at it for about 6 months! LOL I feel like once I can do a perfect squat, I will have arrived. I think they are one of the harder things to do with correct form. For me, it helps to have someone watch and correct my form as I know I am still not there!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    2nd - when I do squats I actually have a chair / step behind me and I actually do sit down for a moment when I'm down then come right back up - partly this is done because I have knee issues

from my experience, box squats are much harder on the knees.

OP: it could be poor hamstring flexibility, weak hips, weak hamstrings, etc Typically anytime you lose your balance in the bottom it's because something was too tight/immobile to allow you to stay in position, or something was too weak to hold the proper position.

Work on hip mobility, bring your stance out. see if that helps.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS EVERAYBODHAY SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS

Not how to do it:
    aGbwh.gif

thank you
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The key for proper squats is to NEVER let your knees go out beyond your feet...

so you HAVE to stick out your butt when you're squatting..this helps stabilize your balance as well...

try it without weights in front of the mirror..stand side ways to ensure your knees are staying above your feet and really feel the stretch in your thighs as your bottom sticks out...

once you can do the squats properly without weights..then start adding weight..Good Luck and be safe!!!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Without someone to spot me, I prefer squatting in a Smith Machine or using a leg press. If you're going to squat, having a box or chair to limit the amount of descent is a good idea, until you get the knack for it.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You've received a lot of reponses, especially from a lot of people who know a LOT more than I do, but I thought I would add a little. First if you've only been doing this for 4 weeks and you don't have the proper form yet, you shouldn't be trying to do squats with weights. Stick to body weight. Second, if balance is your issue (which I am VERY familar with, I'm clumsy as heck) if you put a plate under your heels to raise you up an inch or so it really helps with balance. It's not "proper form" but it's better than falling over or hurting your knees. After a little while you can remove the plate and be flat footed. But remember, push through your heels not the balls of your feet :) Third, the more flexible your hamstrings the better your squats will be, so stretch them good. Also, go slow, work up to squatting deep and with more weight, it isn't a race.

Good luck :)
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me with form was starting off with an exercise ball in my lower back area against a wall and doing the squats. You get the same burn but you save your back.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me with form was starting off with an exercise ball in my lower back area against a wall and doing the squats. You get the same burn but you save your back.

That was how I started too.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Do your feet stay flat at the bottom of your squat or do you find yourself up on your toes?
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you have that much of a problem when you do squats just sit down on a bench and stand back up. Keep repeating.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    2nd - when I do squats I actually have a chair / step behind me and I actually do sit down for a moment when I'm down then come right back up - partly this is done because I have knee issues

from my experience, box squats are much harder on the knees.

OP: it could be poor hamstring flexibility, weak hips, weak hamstrings, etc Typically anytime you lose your balance in the bottom it's because something was too tight/immobile to allow you to stay in position, or something was too weak to hold the proper position.

Work on hip mobility, bring your stance out. see if that helps.

Plus another vote for goblet squats and practise practise practise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrVgpDOLlgM

Edit to clarify: The weight is to assist your balance while you learn the movement, not for you to be strength training, get in the mindset that you may very well need to practise for a few months.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When I first learned how to do squats I was very intimidated. I have arthritic knees and I am one of the "fat folk"!!! My trainer showed me how to use the wall with a Bosu ball. Stand in front of the wall with the Bosu ball between you and the wall at your back, while slightly leaning into the Bosu, legs shoulder width apart, hands on hips (if you feel the need to put them some where!) slowly roll downwards into the squat, you don't have to go into a full squat position, just as far as you feel comfortable, remember knees never go out over your toes. Then roll up again.

Once you get the hang of doing them this way you can "graduate" to different versions of squats. They are one of the most important exercises in your arsenal of fitness according to my trainer as they strengthen your legs, butt and some core muscles.

Happy squatting
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Tush way back behind you as you go down. Over emphasis that movement-- and let quads and glutes kick in leaving knees out of things.
  • chaosrocks
    Options
    Try using an exercise ball, they help a lot and you can go deeper into your squat the more comfortable you get.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the shallower your squat, the more pressure it puts on your knees. just saying