Low calorie appetizers.

Options
flslp87
flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
For Christmas Eve we usually have appetizers instead of a big meal but in the past they have all been high fat and high calorie. This year we want to have a variety but healthy ones, that taste good too.....Any ideas

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Toasted pita chips, serve with salsa guacamole, humus , bean dip, red pepper dip and /. Or Greek yogurt with dry ranch dressing mixed in ( or tzatziki)
  • maureenb93
    Options
    roll hearts of palm sticks in thick lean ham slices. cut the ham to the perfect length so that it just wraps around once. then run toothpicks through to hold the ham in place -- at 1/2 inch intervals. slice between each toothpick. turn on their sides so that they lay flat, then arrange on platter. makes a pretty pink circle around the creamy white heart of palm. They are delish! You can also do with turkey, but not as nice a presentation.

I have also taken asparagus spears and loosely wrapped/draped a super-thin deli slice of ham, also run toothpick through, but this one you lay on platter whole.

These look nice on platter together.
  • Keeda
    Keeda Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My favorite is breaded zucchini sticks. Use Panko crumbs rather than normal bread crumbs and back them in the oven.
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My favorite is breaded zucchini sticks. Use Panko crumbs rather than normal bread crumbs and back them in the oven.

These sound interesting. How long do you cook them and how high is the oven?
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    shrimp cocktail all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is great for you, and very low in calories!!!!:smooched:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    cold shrimp!
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Baked Jalapeno poppers, I live for them!

Hollowed out jalapenos
    fill with some fat free cream cheese
    top with a little 2% cheddar

bake until cheddar is melted and browned to your desire

They average about 25 calories each and are sooooooooo yummy!
  • ChasingAmyLiz
    ChasingAmyLiz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Baked Jalapeno poppers, I live for them!

Hollowed out jalapenos
    fill with some fat free cream cheese
    top with a little 2% cheddar

bake until cheddar is melted and browned to your desire

They average about 25 calories each and are sooooooooo yummy!

That sounds great!!!

my family also does a bunch of apps rather than a meal. I've been struggling as to what I will eat AND what I will bring.

Will check back to look for more ideas! Thanks!
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Some people may not like these but my friends and I love them.

You take green onions -do not cut them

around the bottom on the actual onion bulb spread cream cheese

wrap a piece of low sodium deli ham around the cream cheese and secure it with a toothpick.

Done.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I made a spinach dip on Sunday with Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream... my roommate is a chef and she said it was better then the ones made with sour cream (how true that is, I'm not sure?).

To me, it tasted better. You can try that!
  • joramaker
    joramaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I always make spinach dip for Christmas. This year I will have to try it with greek yogurt!!
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Green Asparagus wrapped in serrano ham, sprinkle with a little black pepper and olive oil and put under the grill for a couple of mins. My absolute favourite party finger food.

ETA: You can also use parma ham or blackforest ham :-)
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Rice paper rolls made with rice paper from an Asian supermarket. Soak the paper in warm water as per the instructions on the packet. Put some fresh prawns, fresh herbs, shredded cucumber or carrot, rice noodles in the middle and roll them up like a spring roll or burrito. Serve with a sweet chilli sauce or any other dipping sauce you like.
  • meagtheleo
    Options
    Whole wheat tortilla, mixed fat free cream cheese with a litle chopped green onion and a little whole berry cranberry sauce. Spread on tortilla, roll up and slice into pinwheels. Festive colors and great taste!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Homemade cocktail weenies. Wrap low-fat hotdogs in phyllo dough and bake.
  • jdhubbard
    jdhubbard Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just saw this recipe on another post and am going to try it.

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/01/31/buffalo-chicken-rolls/
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    Shrimp ceviche!
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    YUMM!!
  • crazyola26
    crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I made a spinach dip on Sunday with Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream... my roommate is a chef and she said it was better then the ones made with sour cream (how true that is, I'm not sure?).

To me, it tasted better. You can try that!

AWESOME!! I'm so going to try this!!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump :)

I do a lower fat version of escargot:

1 can rinsed escargot
    1 tray of mushrooms, quartered
    minced garlic, minced red onion
    1/3 cup of garlic hummus
    lemon juice
    salt and lots of pepper
    1/4 to a 1/2 grated cheese

Toss together, through in a small casserole dish or make individual servings in french onion bowls.

Bake until it all looks oooey gooey good :)

For a spicy kick, I sometimes through in some minced jalepenos.

So good!