Bait and Switch...

Options
Up until last week, when I decided to get healthy, I would eat at least two snacks a day from the vending machines at work. Almond Hershey bars, Lay's sour cream & onion chips, Cheddar Goldfish, and of course, Coca-Cola dominated my mid mornings. It always left me feeling guilty and bloated. But last Saturday, I picked up some fruit, veggie snacks, and salads from Costco. This morning my husband, in an attempt to free up some room in the fridge, loaded me up with several packs of these babies:

bunny-luv-300x247.jpg

I put my lunch away in the fridge when I got to work, but kept one of the bags with me at my desk. When I felt like I needed a vending snack, I ate the carrots instead. I did this all morning, then I had my normal lunch, and when I returned to my desk, I continued to snack on the carrots.

Now at this point, had I been snacking on my normal selection, I would be telling myself "stop eating, you're not even hungry, you don't want to eat this, just throw it away." But of course, I never listen to myself. Today, though, I told myself the same exact thing, but not because I felt guilty or bloated. I just kept eating and eating and eating those cute little carrots. My tongue was getting raw from all the eating, but still I didn't stop. Can you see how red my tongue is? --->:tongue:

I've been out of the office for several hours now and I don't feel bloated or guilty (those packs are only 25 cal!), but my tongue is still raw and it stings when I suck on a cough lozenge. However, now I realize that I have a problem with my brain-to-hand communication as well as mindless eating. At least now I'm improving on my snack selection and maybe tomorrow I will engage in mindful eating instead.

Replies