Starvation Mode Myths and Science

Options

Replies

• lonelytylenol
    Options
    Let's be honest though. There are Starvation Mode Nazi's who would have you beleive that missing your mid-morning snack would cause you to spiral into starvation mode. I think a lot of that is proliferated by people trying to sell something. I think that's what Fit4Europe was getting at. And I agree.

:drinker:

Until I found this I felt pretty discouraged. I get my 90g protien in. I weight train 3x a week. I eat 1,000 calories and I'm not ashamed of it
  • michelelittle
    Options
    Wow great info! Thx for posting!
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post a thread about this, but thankfully I searched first - this thread is way more helpful than mine would have been.

I dont think anyone is condoning eating 700 cals a day, but equally if you have a day when you miss your goal by 300 cals, you're not going to kill yourself. I think that eating sensibly and excersising sensibly are the main things.
  • julz90630
    Options
    bump
  • koluvsmusic
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Wonderful information.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    *thumbs up*

A generally well researched post with views on the subject from several points - what's not to like. I especially like reference to the study showing the differences between how fit and overweight/obese bodies react to extreme caloric deficits.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    An oldie but a goodie.

Bump!:smile:
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!
    Gotta bump it :)
  • geraldm55
    Options
    great information thank you
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Any information on how this relates to the reported "Life Extending" benefits of an ultra low calorie diet?

those regimes typically have you at about 1800 cals/day. not 1200!
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ran across this postand there is a lot of great info here. I will say from experience that I have been working out 2 times per day 7 days per week for several months. After Xmas, I reduced my calories to 1300 per day and my weight loss stalled out. 3 weeks ago, I increased to 1600 per day and immediately dropped 3 pounds.

So while I don't think I entered "starvation mode" - there is something to be said about increasing calories for weight loss. I resisted because it was counter-intuitive to me, but the proof is in the pudding.
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    Bump to digest later. :wink:
  • signgrrrl
    signgrrrl Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. I have been researching this topic and have found mixed responses. The responses from medical or research driven individuals agree with you. I think that to many people with the wrong education or just hear sayers post a lot of mis information on these sites. Use your own head do your own research and use your common sense.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I agree, and so many myths about eating calories, dont eat, exercise, dont exercise, or my favorite I read, "heavy people cannot go into starvation due to their body size" so...I took that as I can never starve my body because I am overweight. I am lost on it all, thanks for the research.
  • Jrunta
    Jrunta Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank You for posting this!!! So many people have this crazy talk about "starvation mode" and it's just simply not true.