best breakfast for protein?

all I can think of is bacon and eggs and I don't want that every day. What do other people have?

Replies

• mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Leftover meat from dinner and Greek yogurt.
  • I'm not a bacon or a cereal fan so I make salmon or tuna omelet or corned beef with egg plus either rice or bread for my breakfast.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Dairy products are also good. Yogurt, cottage cheese, spreadable cheeses on bread.
  • Dairy products are also good. Yogurt, cottage cheese, spreadable cheeses on bread.

Are dairy products still protein? I'm sorry if that sounds dumb, but it would be dumber not to ask when I don't know. Right? :))
  • Sammi,
    Protein comes mainly from meat, cheese and other dairy products, and fish. Not so sure of veggie options

x
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Dairy products have protein in them..some more than others.The highest protein amount that I have seen is in unsweetened Greek yogurt which has 16grams of protein.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Dairy products are also good. Yogurt, cottage cheese, spreadable cheeses on bread.

Are dairy products still protein? I'm sorry if that sounds dumb, but it would be dumber not to ask when I don't know. Right? :))
    Yup! A cup of milk has about 8 g of protein. A 150 g serving of yogurt has 7 g.

I don't know if you'd want this for breakfast, but beans are also high in protein, say if you wanted a breakfast burrito or something.
  • Sammi,
    Protein comes mainly from meat, cheese and other dairy products, and fish. Not so sure of veggie options

x
    Broccoli, nuts, beans are good sources of plant based protein. Same with soy although the studies about it makes it controversial.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Protein powder. Obviously. :P

Mis it in with some oats or quinoa or something, or even make some pancakes out of it. Depending on the brand you buy, it can have around 25g protein per one 30g scoop.
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    My husband is the breakfast eater in our family. He will make sausage, pork cutlets (pan fried), bacon or ham. Sometimes he makes omelets with the ham, sausage or bacon. I like to add lots of veggies to my omelets. Also breakfast burritos in low cal wrap or burrito. Sometimes we have waffles or pancakes with peanut butter and sugar free syrup or fruit. Yogurt with granola and fruit, you could even mix protein powder in it. Chia seeds have lots of protein also. They can be mixed into anything. :flowerforyou:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Steak and potatoes. Will keep you full and stop you snacking. Weird I know but i can assure you the protein, fats and carbs will give you a good kick start to the day.
  • thanks guys, lots of nomscious suggestions!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    50g whey. 25g or 50g of oats depending on my day plan. 10g psyllium husk. 300ml water. Shake it all about. Drink. Done.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on wholewheat toast OR chopped spinach on toast with smoked salmon on top and a poached egg on top of that
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Three egg omelette with quarter of a pack of low fat soft cheese and three servings of fruit - yes sweet eggs - 32g protein, 22g fat, 25g carbs. Could take the fat down 7g using one egg white and two whole eggs.

Best sources of protein gram for gram are meat, fish, nuts/ seeds, hard cheese, protein powders. Eggs and soft cheese (Philadelphia type) are about half of meat or fish, Greek yoghurt and milk contain a quarter or less of the protein of meat or fish by weight partly because they are very high in water.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    EGGS - I swear by them.

Boiled, fried in a tiny amount of olive oil, served on wholewheat toast, or a lovely chicken breast spinach and cheese omlette/tortilla, poached eggs with smoked salmon, garlic fried egg & rice etc etc....

Recently I tried to swap my daily breakfast of eggs for a big warming bowl of porridge with almond milk and mixed berries. Tried this swap for a few weeks but I noticed I got hungry within an hour after eating the porridge whereas eggs kept me full for hours.

Back on the eggs again now, for good. I just love em. :love:
  • Definately go for scrambled eggs (minus the butter!) and smoked salmon! High protein and delicious! One of my favourites :smile:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    All of your answers can be found in this short instructional video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNhCzmUjlw
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Besides sausage and bacon, I often have a protein bar for breakfast. Sometimes I make my own baked protein bars.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Several of these suggestions will maybe net you the same protein as a couple eggs but will triple your calories and take out half or more of your daily sodium. Be wary of advice on forums. Punch a few things in the mfp calculator, see for yourself what different breakfasts contain. Dairy has some protein, but it also high in fat and thus calories. A breakfast burrito? Shouldn't even need to say anything. Try sticking with eggs, add vegetables. The protein shake is good too, though liquid breakfasts never keep le full for long.