How to Avoid Overindulging During Holiday Season

Options
What are some tips and tricks you use to not overindulge during the holiday season?

I have a little issue called lack of self-control, but I don't want to throw my weight loss off track.

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I give myself Christmas eve and day off, and relax my eating enough to indulge a bit. You just need to keep in mind that you will have to live with your choices the next day. I don't think one day can hurt anyone.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I shall have one day to indulge, not a month like usual. I am avoiding buying loads of treats, just buying small packs of things so there aren't loads of leftovers.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Small servings/portions
    Drink plenty of water, especially 1/1 ratio when drinking alcohol
    Have healthier and easy to access snacks available
    Maintain your exercising, even if it is a little less and/or something different than you usually do

I don't not eat/drink anything I want to have, just focus on moderation. Realize this is just one (or two or three) day(s) out of a whole year. Track everything as normal. This helps mentally because if you see a weight jump (say 3-5 lbs) the next day or two and you go back and look at your tracking and see that you over ate by so many calories (say 3500), there is a piece of mind that the 3-5 lbs was mostly water weight and only 1 lb was actually caloric weight gain. I mainly run for exercise so I can usually get my runs in as normal since I run early in the morning. But even if I get out for a 3-4 mile walk instead of a run I'm satisfied.

Most of all enjoy the holiday.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am maintaining now but when I was losing I would up my calories to maintenance + exercise calories on days where I would want to indulge more (holiday parties and the like) to give me several hundred extra calories to play with. That way, it was like putting my weight loss on pause for a day or two.

Don't use the holiday as an excuse to eat like crap for a month!
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Saying no. As dad is possibly having a second heart surgery ill be eating healthy food at christmas. I need this to be a lifelong thing if i want my heart to function well. Im saying no to going to every party and just choosing the ones that mean a lot to me. Giving away my chocolate presents. Having occasional treats and savouring but saying no to anything that has cream. Plus so many people ib the world are starving; i want to have money to support them.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    omg-who-cares.gif
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    God didn't send his only begotten son into the world for me to practice moderation.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    you realize its only a couple of days so say **** it
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's just a handful of days...I relax, enjoy and eat whatever I want!! Yum I'm totally looking forward to it!:drinker:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Don't be the first to the table and the last to leave it either.
  • Annaduurai
    Annaduurai Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Since I go low carb for Thanksgiving i brought over a low carb/sugar free desert and cauliflower mashed potatoes (because mashed potatoes are a weakness! ) I ate more meat and loaded up on veggies. I felt satisfied even though I skipped the stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, baked corn, ect. I ate broccoli and cheese, green bean casserole, mashed cauliflower, gravy, and turkey, lots of turkey. I felt awesome when I got on the scale 2 days later and was a pound down!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I just go ahead and indulge.