Is this enough

Options
I have started going swimming after deciding enough is enough. I’m 5ft 1 and weigh 13.5 stone. I had a baby two years ago in April therefore I can no longer use having a baby is an excuse for weight gain.

I plan on doing the following

Monday GYM ½ hour
Tuesday Swimming 1 hour
Wednesday Swimming 1 Hour
Thursday Gym ½ hour
Friday Swimming 1 Hour
Saturday Gym ½ hour

All of these will be after work at around 7.30 except Saturday when i can go in the morning. So that’s 3 hours swimming a week and 1 ½ hours at gym. The gym will be mainly cardio although I may end up doing some toning with weights on a Saturday afternoon with my partner (that would be extra on top of this though)

Will this be enough to help me shed some weight? And realistically how quickly will you see results?

My ideal weight is around 10 stone, that’s where I feel I look good, not going by BMI etc. I work full time and its a 3 hours daily commute therefore I’m leaving house at 5.30am and returning home around 6.30 pm. I also do a uni degree at evenings therefore middle of January i would need to drop down the classes, however once the weather starts to clear up i may be able to get in earlier to use the work gym. So I would therefore be doing 30 mins of gym every morning and going swimming twice a week for an hour.

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed so that you lose weight without working out. While your exercise plan looks great (though kind of cardio heavy, you may need to adjust your gym time to include strength work further down the road), the important thing you should be focusing on is your diet. Losing is 80% diet, 20% work out as the adage goes.

Plan roughly 1 week for every pound you'd like to lose (it may come off faster in the beginning, but when you get close to your target it will slow down). Focus your diet on balance (protiens, carbs, fats- eat them!) and advice from a girl who ate pizza 1x a week whilst losing, plan some calories for treat meals. Having a plan when you go out to eat can really make the difference.

Here's a rough outline of how i 'diet' (or have really just changed my eating habits :-)

Breakfast - something with protein or fiber. About 300-400 cal
    AM snack- veggie of some kind (I like with tea) 35 cal
    Lunch- Soup or sandwich with fruit (300-400 cal)
    PM snack 1- veggie again - 35
    PM snack 2- Greek yogurt heavy on protein (to get me home not hungry)- 120
    Dinner- 4oz meat of some kind; heaping pile of veggies; 1 serving rice, pasta or bread if im in the mood. 400-500 calories
    Post dinner- square of chocolate 50 cal

This puts me in the range of 1240- 1540 calories. I add in more if I exercise also. (EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES).

Best of luck,
    Gonks
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I know that judging from MFP i don’t eat enough protein, i only really chicken... I normally don’t eat breakfast and always have soup for lunch. I notice that you have 3 snacks. Is this a necessity?

My normal diet consists

Breakfast sometime a scone
    Lunch Soup, drink
    Snack crisps or banana
    Tea Chicken breast, potatoes
    Treat night i get post dinner of popcorn or crisps while watching a file (once a week)

I have heard that popcorn (homemade) plain is only like 30 calories so would it be ok to substitute my afternoon snack for these? Then hopefully substitute for fruit?

I can add veg with my tea not a problem.
    Breakfast is difficult as i get up and drive until 7.30. If i eat at 7.30 im hungry by 10!. And lunch isn’t until 12.30 but if i don’t eat till lunch im not hungry if that makes sense.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I know that judging from MFP i don’t eat enough protein, i only really chicken... I normally don’t eat breakfast and always have soup for lunch. I notice that you have 3 snacks. Is this a necessity?

My normal diet consists

Breakfast sometime a scone
    Lunch Soup, drink
    Snack crisps or banana
    Tea Chicken breast, potatoes
    Treat night i get post dinner of popcorn or crisps while watching a file (once a week)

I have heard that popcorn (homemade) plain is only like 30 calories so would it be ok to substitute my afternoon snack for these? Then hopefully substitute for fruit?

I can add veg with my tea not a problem.
    Breakfast is difficult as i get up and drive until 7.30. If i eat at 7.30 im hungry by 10!. And lunch isn’t until 12.30 but if i don’t eat till lunch im not hungry if that makes sense.

You will hear a lot of people say that breakfast is a must or a number of smaller meals - neither are necessary. It depends on you. Do you feel hungrier on 3 meals? Then it might be worth eating smaller meals more often. Some find more meals doesn't work for them and feel satiated on 3 larger ones.
    Same with breakfast. Some people over eat later on if they skip breakfast. Others don't.

As for your diet plan - you really aren't eating a lot and are lacking in a lot of things. It's not just about losing weight, it's about being healthy. One tip- lean protein is your friend. It fills you up and keeps you fuller. Fats also keep you satiated. Fiber also fills you up.

MFPs recommendation. For protein is very low so if you aren't meeting it, you are really low.

I would skip nutrient lacking foods like a scone or snack crisps and focus on eating more nutrient dense foods. Look at adding more veggies maybe with hummus or things like lower fat Greek yogurt (high in protein) for snacks. Eggs are an option too. Try to have a little of everything for your meals. I have a protein, carb and veggie (I know veggies are carbs too but I mean like rice/potato/sweet potato/etc).
    Homemade popcorn is fine for a snack but remember it has little to offer nutritionally. Not saying don't have it, especially if it fills a craving.

As for your exercise - great but my advice - lift heavy weights too. Even cut back on cardio to do it. It helps preserve what muscle you have (which burns calories).
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    The weight loss will come from your diet..... excercise will help supplement that by creating more of a caloric deficit.

when you're at the gym, lift weights, it will help preserve lean body mass. if you just eat less and don't weight train you end up losing muscle and fat and the look isn't so great.

there's no such thing as toning with weights. you can build muscle, and you can diet to lose fat, then you will look "toned". but there is no rep range, and no workout that makes you "toned".

Good luck with your journey.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan...I would try to get an hour of strength training in if possible.
    and lift heavy (for you).
    There are some good programs out there for beginners to help build strength.

These include compound lifts, are easy to understand...and might get you in and out of the gym in 45 minutes with a lot accomplished:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

As far as food...timing is personal preference.
    I have coffee for breakfast and prefer to eat more of my calories later in the day because I like eating at night....and this has helped me stay in my calorie range and still be satisfied (1500 to 1800 give or take)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm starting school again in January myself. I already know I'm going to have to cut out some of my exercise time, but for me that will be cardio. My point is when I'm forced to pick what is most important for me weights will win every time. That being said, you can lose weight through diet alone. You just may not be as happy with how you look when you reach your goal weight.
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys

I love things like fresh fruit and yogurt but for eating at your desk while working really isnt a good option!
    Veggies can be added to lunch and i always choose a veggy soup for lunch. My problem ( i think) is protein. I know for a fact i dont get enough!