New Rules of Lifting for Women

- I find it hard to eat the 1800-2400 calories that it suggests to eat for my body, anyone else have this problem?

Also, does anyone have anyone have photos of their progress?

Replies

• anyone? or any sort of advice with this program?
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    It is just a suggestion and you don't have to eat it but if you want to meet that number you can supplement with protein shakes. That would probably be the easiest way.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    - I find it hard to eat the 1800-2400 calories that it suggests to eat for my body, anyone else have this problem?

Once in a blue moon, I'll not feel hungry and eat quite a bit under my goal, but most days, I have no problem at all. Considering that I was eating over 3000 calories a fay before MFP, restricting it to 1900 is more a matter of what *NOT* to eat. I generally have no problem eating a normal amount.

I agree with supplements. If you are struggling, and you are lifting, definitely drink a protein shake. It's a healthy, easy way to increase your daily calories.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    anyone? or any sort of advice with this program?

With any of these books, you have to use them as tools. I have read the New Rules of Lifting (the regular one, but not the one for Women) just to refresh my mind on the techniques used and get ideas to incorporate to help what I'm doing here on MFP. I don't follow the program per say because everybody's body is different. What some body's will respond to a program, (like eating 1800-2400 calories) may not work for others. My thought is to stick with what you know. If you can only eat a certain amount and you are satisfied with that, then so be it. If you find you need to eat more to accommodate your lifting, then adjust accordingly. Just my 2 cents.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    anyone? or any sort of advice with this program?

With any of these books, you have to use them as tools. I have read the New Rules of Lifting (the regular one, but not the one for Women) just to refresh my mind on the techniques used and get ideas to incorporate to help what I'm doing here on MFP. I don't follow the program per say because everybody's body is different. What some body's will respond to a program, (like eating 1800-2400 calories) may not work for others. My thought is to stick with what you know. If you can only eat a certain amount and you are satisfied with that, then so be it. If you find you need to eat more to accommodate your lifting, then adjust accordingly. Just my 2 cents.

Except it will be difficult to make strength gains without eating enough.
  • It is just a suggestion and you don't have to eat it but if you want to meet that number you can supplement with protein shakes. That would probably be the easiest way.

On days that I lift I have a protein shake. Maybe up it to two? One in the morning and one when I get home from the gym?
  • - I find it hard to eat the 1800-2400 calories that it suggests to eat for my body, anyone else have this problem?

Once in a blue moon, I'll not feel hungry and eat quite a bit under my goal, but most days, I have no problem at all. Considering that I was eating over 3000 calories a fay before MFP, restricting it to 1900 is more a matter of what *NOT* to eat. I generally have no problem eating a normal amount.

I agree with supplements. If you are struggling, and you are lifting, definitely drink a protein shake. It's a healthy, easy way to increase your daily calories.

I was actually eating less (1200 a day) I was looking TOO skinny, and decided that I wanted to tone my body

Except it will be difficult to make strength gains without eating enough.

That is something I am worried about, not making a strength gain, I mean I feel muscles in my arms now where it just use to be fat.

Thank you! I'll try to reach 1900 tomorrow and see how I feel.
  • StaceyJ2008
    Yes. You can use them as snacks too.

Also you can add a little water at a time to the powder and make it into a puddling like texture and either eat it as a pudding or spread it on toast.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Guidelines are guidelines. If you're lifting heavy regularly and trying to gain muscle, you'll need to get close to that 2000 mark. But if you just can't manage 2400 maybe your body doesn't need to. Or if you think that really is a better goal, supplementing with protein shakes can help you reach 2400 with ease and good nutrients. Are you eating enough oils? Women tend to avoid fats, but they're crucial for fat burning and healing your muscles. Including your oils is an easy way to up your calories too.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    I had this hunni but once you start eating that your body will expect it an you will get hungry dead easy just keep at it hunni I'm on 1200 a day an I can just about manage that but it's working for me x
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Pudding eh :) I make Jello pudding with protein powder and it's so so :) Or mix it into yogurt. If you mix chia seeds into your protein shake it will make it thick like pudding too.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    It is just a suggestion and you don't have to eat it but if you want to meet that number you can supplement with protein shakes. That would probably be the easiest way.

On days that I lift I have a protein shake. Maybe up it to two? One in the morning and one when I get home from the gym?

That depends on your daily protein goal. If you meet it with one shake you're good. If you don't you can get a second. But I prefer getting my protein from real food.
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    There's a New Rules of Lifting for Women group on here. I suggest joining it. I'm doing the program as well (and loving it) and stick to about 1900 cal a day (when I can...). Some days I can't eat that much, and other days I'm wanting to eat more. I just make sure my days balance out. :)
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    I sometimes will mix protein powder in with yogurt and stevia - tastes like pudding.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member

Upping it to two will help. And get that protein shake in you ASAP after lifting. Works wonders on muscle soreness.

It also depends on what your goal is, if you're trying to tone and build muscle, then yes you should eat that much. It takes a while to get used to, but if you eat at too much of a deficit, your lifting efforts won't be nearly as effective.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    I sometimes will mix protein powder in with yogurt and stevia - tastes like pudding.

I haven't tried this...I may have to.
  • StaceyJ2008
    btw I own the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I don't use the calories guidelines. I don't like flip flopping the calorie goal everyday. I was eating at TDEE-20%, so I just changed my deficit percentage to -10%. I do try harder on lift days to get in more protein though.