Pain...when to work thru it and when to take off....

Options
harvo
harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
I am curious to know how you know when to continue to work thru aches and pains and when it is time to take a day or two off. I have done 6 boys basketball games in 3 days and my knees and feet are very sore. The ex-athlete in me says work thru the pain but the old wise man says take a day off.

Replies

• Mia_Zappa
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I worked out on my bowflex yesterday, Think I did too many squats. I can hardly walk. These are the times I wish I had a personal trainer.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am curious to know how you know when to continue to work thru aches and pains and when it is time to take a day or two off. I have done 6 boys basketball games in 3 days and my knees and feet are very sore. The ex-athlete in me says work thru the pain but the old wise man says take a day off.

For me:

Muscle soreness from training (DOMS) = train through it. When you get warmed up the pain will reduce or even go away in some cases.

Joint pain = I tend to err on the side of rest.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    SideSteel has good points.

There is a huge difference between aches/soreness and actual pain.

If I'm sore from a previous workout, I foam roll and focus on recovery, and I continue working out.
    If I'm in pain because I pulled a muscle or injured something, then I work around it or in extreme cases will take time off.

If your knees hurt, throw some liniments on them, and carry on as usual. If I didn't squat every time my knees felt crappy, I'd never get to the gym.

Tiger Balm is awesome. Pick some up at walmart or kroger and try it on achy areas.
  • harvo
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I worked out on my bowflex yesterday, Think I did too many squats. I can hardly walk. These are the times I wish I had a personal trainer.

That is a sign of a good leg workout..I miss the days when i would need to use my arms to stand up from using the john....
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    sharp stabbing pain? rest

dull aching pain? attempt working out..if it increases to sharp stop

if it remains dull and doesnt increase dramatically, continue
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Agree with the guys above. If its muscle pain then work out - it will help. If its bone or ligament then rest.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    If it's just my muscles hurts, I'll rub them down and keep going. If it's either my lower back, right knee, or either ankle, I'll err on the side of caution and give it it a rest. All of the above have been seriously injured in the past, though.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough sleep, other than that work through it just lighten up a little bit.
  • harvo
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough sleep, other than that work through it just lighten up a little bit.

Define enough sleep...at this point in my life I wake up at 5:30 am daily...some nights I am in bed by 10 usually by 11 but at times midnight.... I wish I could nap or relax I just do not seem to have it in me. I do laundry or clean on commercials when Penn State football or my HOO HOO HOOSIERS are playing basketball games....
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Sore is not pain. If you run or do a workout and your legs are sore, that is normal.

Pain is often associated with a sharper sense of "sore." Where muscles soreness is more of a tired. If you preform certain actions and the pain increases, it is probably overuse.

I actually wrote a blog about this, this morning.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/injuries-and-stupidity-453702
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

For me:

Muscle soreness from training (DOMS) = train through it. When you get warmed up the pain will reduce or even go away in some cases.

Joint pain = I tend to err on the side of rest.

Agree.

And for soreness - heat can help.

For pain, only ice. Heat will make the inflammation worse.