Oats don't fill me up

Options
I had steel cut oats for breakfast. 1/4 c dry cooked with almost a cup of water.. I topped it with blueberries, 1/2 banana, 1/2 tsp brown sugar and milk. I had two cups of tea with milk and probably 3 BIG glasses of water (I'm a big water drinker). It's an hour later and my mouth is watering and I want to eat again. Oats just don't satisfy me. Is there anything I can do to make them more satisfying? My cholesterol is through the roof so I'm trying to make the oats work. Tips?

40 year old woman, 154 lbs

Replies

• nrd2212
    nrd2212 Posts: 128
    Options
    Put protein powder and/or peanut butter in them. Extra protein will help keep you full longer
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Buy the tasteless fiber power and mix it in with the oats. You can also eat the fruit first, then eat the oats.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    itll take a few days to get ur stomach used to eating that for breakfast. when i first started i used to eat my oatmeal at 8 and i was starving or lookin for snack around 10am. but now, i am ok till noon. give ur stomach some days to "shrink"
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting on this journey it make take a while for your stomach and mind to catch up with what you're doing. Sometimes you just have to tough out what your brain is trying to talk you into. The first 3 weeks are the hardest to get through.
  • meagtheleo
    Options
    Try groats instead. These are the oats before ANY processing. they almost look like rice but a dark brown color. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil and stir in 1 cup of oat groats. Simmer for 10 minutes covered then turn burner off and let sit over night ocvered. Heat up a portion and I find them to "hold" me much longer and super high in fiber!!!
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I switched from hot cooked oats to refridgerator oats. Hot oats seemed to go right through my stomach and I'd be hungry again soon after eating. The cold oats dont do that.

I make them by using equal parts oats and liquid [milk or coconut milk] and then I add shredded coconut [unsweetened], seeds, nuts and dry fruit [usually dried cranberries]. Put them in the fridge overnight and then in the morning I can have 1/2 a cup and I'm set for the morning.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup wouldn't fill me up either. I thought a serving was 1/2 cup but maybe that just old fashioned oats, not steel cut.
  • mlcastle
    Options
    Put protein powder and/or peanut butter in them. Extra protein will help keep you full longer

I always add protein powder to my oatmeal
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You breakfast is wall to wall carbs, try adding some protein and fat to slow the digestion and stabilise the blood sugar. Bananas are high in sugar and relatively high on the glycaemic index (turns to blood sugar quickly), the table sugar won't help either. In England oats are cooked in milk not water which adds more protein than a splash at the end.

Otherwise try adding protein powder, or topping with low fat soft cheese or cottage cheese instead of milk. Flavour with low sugar/ low GI fruits like more berries, citrus fruits or tree fruits, natural sweeteners like stevia or xylitol, at a push sucralose.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't do it for me first thing in the morning either so my oats are saved for afternoon snack. Protein and added fats can help keep you full/satisfied longer so like others said, try adding protein powder and/or natural peanut butter and/or seeds/nuts.

The cooking method may make a difference. I like mine slow cooked on the stove top. For the Bob's Red Mill brand, you mix 1 cup of steel cut oats in 3 cups water with a pinch of salt. Bring to boil then simmer, stirring frequently, for 20-30 minutes or until just about all the water is absorbed. This makes 4 servings.

Some other dietary changes you can make for high cholesterol - eat more whole grains, leafy green veg and cut down trans and sat fats. Eat more fish or take fish oil pills.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Add in some walnuts or almonds. They're good for you and the healthy fat will help keep you full!
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Roasted ground flax or hemp hearts.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Here's what you need to do: bacon & eggs with a serving of fruit. BOOM.
  • erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    it is probably just your body type. oats don't fill me up either. after i eat them i am hungry one hour to one and a half hours later. so i just don't eat them because they are just like empty calories. try eating something else that actually fills you up so you don't have to eat twice.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Try mixing in an egg, or some nuts, or protein power, or peanut butter - or eat something else entirely.
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    add high fiber cereal, or granola?!
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup wouldn't fill me up either. I thought a serving was 1/2 cup but maybe that just old fashioned oats, not steel cut.
    This. 1/4 cup is not a lot of food. I usually take down at least 1/2 cup if not a whole cup.