Colitis/Celiac/GI problems

Options
Just wondering if anyone else out there has GI issues that flare up the second you start eating "healthy" fruits/veggies? How do you stay motivated to loose weight?

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Does cooking them help?
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    As in the weight is not tight? If you mean trying to weigh less, then you are trying to LOSE weight. If you need to tighten a screw then it is LOOSE.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac. Veggies don't cause me problems, just wheat and grains closely related to wheat.

Do you have a diagnosis of some kind, or are you just noticing a general trend?

I can think of two things:

1. You have an allergy or condition of some kind (Crohn's? IBS? Hashimoto's? Allergy to a certain family of fruits/veggies, or to something that tends to pollinate near them?)

2. Your usual diet is relatively low in fiber and when you start eating fruits and veggies the large amounts of fiber in them are shocking your system, causing potentially a lot of gastrointestinal issues.

If it's #1, getting a specific diagnosis will help you avoid the triggering foods and eat healthy food that doesn't trigger your issues.

If it's #2, slowly adding these foods to your diet in small increments will help your body adjust to the added fiber. Seriously, suddenly upping your fiber by a lot when your body isn't used to it can do... unpleasant things.

These definitely aren't the only possibilities, just two I thought of. In both cases, the answer to your original question would be to find the source of your problem and adjust to it. That said, you may already know it...

Knowing the source of my problem, I don't have a lot of trouble staying motivated (not on account of my Celiac, anyway!) But when I was first diagnosed, I struggled a lot because previously I had been on a diet that was all about whole wheat! Getting used to eating starchier, higher calorie, often less nutritious, more expensive, and poor tasting grains was really annoying. I tended to just eschew the ones I didn't like, and that worked for me -- now I stick to a lot of quinoa and teff. And I save the calories from things like gf bread, which often has twice the calories of regular bread, as a special treat. Or, I just eat the pretty much equally caloric gf cake, since it doesn't make a huge difference. With a wide-reaching lifelong dietary restriction, you just learn the landscape and do what works for you, but it can take time.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, though: something that makes you sick, is not healthy for you, even if it is for others.