Running-when does the speed come?

Options
Today is my runniversary. A year ago, I could barely run for 30 seconds (heart rate about 170!). Now, my long runs are about 2 hours (heart rate 135-145). Yay-go me. Everywhere I read, it says to run at a conversational/easy pace and over time, your pace will naturally improve (presumably as your aerobic conditioning improves?). So that's what I did. I run - painfully slowly - and have slowly increased distance and time and have built up to running 20-25 miles a week - where I have been since about May.

So-when does this natural pace increase happen? My first miles run were at a blistering 16:20 pace. A year later, I'm averaging a 15:52 pace. Really? That's my "natural" increase? 28 seconds off a pace many people can walk? I have no delusions of being a speedster or running a 15 minute 5k, but I'd like to be fast enough that a 10 mile long run is not an all-day affair (literally). I'm not planning to throw in the towel because I'm slow, I am just curious how this "natural" pace increase has happened for others-and/or when it might happen.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Run faster. Problem solved.

Quite simply put, a body builder doesn't gain significant muscle from lifting a pencil 1,000 times. He gains it by constantly pushing harder.

It was a good idea for you to start slowly to get your body used to being in constant motion. But now, being able to do 2 hour long jogs, you need to up your intensity. A body beginner body builder will sometimes start with an empty bar to simply get used to the motions and the weight of the bar itself, but eventually has to add weights to it to make progress.

Good job by the way! No small feat you've accomplished!
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Let me just say--- WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!! I am so impressed with the fact that you are running for 2 hours. That is a dream of mine. I used to run about 10 years ago, but I NEVER ran for 2 hours. My longest run was about 40 minutes. Then I stopped running (because I hated it). I hope to start running again because it really helps with the weightloss and I Loved the way it was shaping my body.

I am no expert, but have you looked at Jeff Galloways website? He has some good info. I think sprints help also when they are incorporated into your normal run.

Hope this helps! Congrats on the long runs!
  • nbkpjud
    nbkpjud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am nowhere near an expert on the matter, so I can only tell you what worked for me.
    I started out running around at 16 minute mile when I got back into running. After I got to the point where I could actually run a mile without wanting to die, I increased the distance as you have done.
    After that, I started a routine where I would run short 2-3 mile runs on Monday's and challenge myself to run a better time than the previous run. It didn't always happen, but over time it became a competition with myself and I didn't like losing. I also got into some 5k's. Running with faster people made me naturally want to keep up.
    On Wednesday and Friday's I would save for runs >5 miles. Once the competition with the 2-3 mile runs became a habit it bled over into the longer runs.
    Now I run around a 7:50 min a mile pace on short runs and keep about an 8:45 min a mile pace on longer runs. I ran my first half marathon in April and maintained an 8:50 mile pace throughout. It is not setting any land speed records, but it is getting better.
    To sum it up, I went from a 16 min/mile to 8:50 in about 1 year. The key for me was to challenge myself on short runs.
  • jhall585
    Options
    Awesome for you! 2 hours of running is seriously tough and that's amazing how far you've come.

In regards to speed: hills will naturally make you faster, but see if you can utilize a treadmill or track to work on some sprints. Literally run your buns off for a lap, then light job for the next. You will see your pace improve drastically, this is how I shaved about 1 minute off my mile. Doing the work SUCKS but is worth it and you will get that heart rate sky high - added fat burning bonus!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Go to the Runner's World website and search for articles on speed work. You need to be doing some higher speed intervals to get your speed up.
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You have the endurance part up now work on speed, intervals, hills etc. BTW 2 hours of any exercise is amazing, I bow in your awesomeness!
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I suck at running but I agree push yourself a bit more...
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's some serious running time! Perhaps instead of focusing on the length of time you can run for, why not set a distance and see how quickly you can run it? Keep pushing for a faster time, same distance.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Distance and speed work. There is tons of information out there on incorporating speed work. I am going to start working on speed work after my race on Sunday. I plan to do one day of a long run (weekend) and on the weekdays do a normal run one day and speed work the next.

As someone else said, runners world has a ton of info.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Intervals, hills, and varying your running distance will help with the pace. Since you've already got the endurance down, challenge yourself by doing sprint intervals.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who is more tortoise than hare....

Tempo runs. Short runs (a mile maybe less) going fast. Do a good warm up and set your sights on a 10 minute mile. The goal not being how many miles, but how quick. At first, you'll be only doing 1 interval, but then you'll up it. Probably keep it to a mile or less for a bit so you don't over do.

Most serious runners work tempo runs into their training schedule.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Push yourself to run faster. That's all there is to it, really. If you keep running slow, you'll never run fast. Try setting a time for your mile and then meeting that time.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Take one or 2 runs a week and run them faster. Choose any type, whether its intervals, fartleks, tempo runs, whatever.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some HIIT for around 6 weeks and my pace has increased dramatically, going from around 11min/mile to 9.30min/mile (still slow but I'm getting there). I read up on Interval training, decided to give it a go and it's done more than I ever expected. You really do have to push yourself though on those bursts of pace.

As others have said running for 2 hours is amazing, it's not something I have even attempted yet, so kudos to you!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Run faster. Problem solved.

Quite simply put, a body builder doesn't gain significant muscle from lifting a pencil 1,000 times. He gains it by constantly pushing harder.

It was a good idea for you to start slowly to get your body used to being in constant motion. But now, being able to do 2 hour long jogs, you need to up your intensity. A body beginner body builder will sometimes start with an empty bar to simply get used to the motions and the weight of the bar itself, but eventually has to add weights to it to make progress.

Good job by the way! No small feat you've accomplished!

I agree. As a runner, I never just "naturally" got faster. I had to push myself. Once I got strong enough to run 3 miles, I started working on my time. Generally, what I did is start adding little bursts where I would run a bit faster. I gradually made those bursts longer and longer. Also, I ran hills a lot. That way, flat running didn't feel as strenuous and I could run faster.

Good luck, and keep up the great work!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Add tempo runs and fartleks to your training. Runner's World's website and Hal Higdon's site have great plans. A popular plan is to do a long run, an easy run and a speed run (tempo or fartlek) each week. I started running by doing sprint intervals for as long as I could, about 30 seconds, then walking until I caught my breath and sprinting again - I think it helped. I'm not running any long distances though.
  • mnmomto4
    mnmomto4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I also am not an expert. I have been running for about 5 months now. Started doing one mile in about 15 minutes, and felt like dying! I recently ran a 5K in 34 min and 20 seconds. I also tested myself in running an 8K and did it in 58 minutes. So, I can't run long distances like you but my speed increased. I am not fast but am impressed with my speed and distance increases in 5 months of time. I did it by just increasing my speed by just .1 mph for just 5 minutes of time. Then the next day for 6 minutes of time. Until, I could run my whole run for that speed. Once that was done, I increased it another .1 for 5 minutes and so on. I am still working on it. I would love to run my 5K by next summer in 33 minutes and run my 8K next fall in 55 minutes. Keep working on it and don't give up! You are doing great.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as natural speed increase. You have to push.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Go to the Runner's World website and search for articles on speed work. You need to be doing some higher speed intervals to get your speed up.

This. Learn about running intervals. You will increase your aerobic capacity and be able to apply that to your distance runs.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You have to throw in a shorter run where you can push yourself to go a little faster for short periods of time.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/extend-yourself
    I know you're running more than this on a regular basis, but it's an example. I started this running schedule and am now in the last week. Yesterday my mile time was just under 10 min. When I started it was over 12 min.