Edamame

Options
What are your thoughts on Endamame Soy Beans? I'm a huge fan of the high protein and ingredients, but I'm not a fan of Soy products...

Replies

• hsacksy
    hsacksy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Edamame ARE soy beans. I love ALL soy products (Soy milk, tofu, edamame in all forms) so I'm obviously biased when i say TRY IT! I buy the frozen kind, and just steam them in the microwave, toss with some sea salt and garlic powder and snack away. I also add them to my stir fry and toss in my salad.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I think I'm confused, you say you're a huge fan of the ingredients, but not of soy products? You do know they are soy beans, right? Personally, I think they're yummy.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I eat bag of steamed shelled soybeans for lunch a lot of days. Nice macro breakdown and fiber content.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    First of all it's not a 'soy product'

All of the experts (including my Mom's cancer Dr.) says to avoid processed soy.

A bean...is not...processed.

Also, avoid GMO soy if you can! I grow soy beans of a heirloom variety. They freeze well.
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    I'm a FAN of the protein and fiber, but I've never been a huge fan of soy. I've heard soy products can make you bloat and are "ab killers" lol
  • mtiheartmuscle
    Options
    Thank you! I had no idea it wasn't considered a "soy product" - that makes me feel better about the product. :-)
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I think they're tasty. Plus they take forever for me to eat which is always nice.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Also, avoid GMO soy if you can! I grow soy beans of a heirloom variety. They freeze well.

It's hard to find non-GMO soy where I live - I understand that soy is one of the three most commonly modified foods, along with wheat and corn. Still, I do eat edamame from time to time, edamame beans are wonderful in a salad that isnt' lettuce based.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Thank you! I had no idea it wasn't considered a "soy product" - that makes me feel better about the product. :-)

It's a bean.

Soy products are something that is far removed from the bean. It's showing up in everything you eat so reducing the amt of soy you intake (processed) as a woman is ideal! Particularly if you are like me and have breast cancer in the family.
  • Onesnap
    Options

It's hard to find non-GMO soy where I live - I understand that soy is one of the three most commonly modified foods, along with wheat and corn. Still, I do eat edamame from time to time, edamame beans are wonderful in a salad that isnt' lettuce based.

Why is it hard? Most markets sell the frozen kind for really cheap. Check the frozen section and research the brand.

Plus, the seeds ship nationwide so I'm not sure why they are hard to find in your area? You can grow them in a bucket.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The farmers of the midwest would like to thank the guy who decided to call it by it's "cool, exotic" name and make those soybeans SOOOO popular! lol I grew up surrounded by "edamame" fields. People used to be PISSED when it was used as a filler..now they're just eating them straight out of the pod! LMAO!
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Tried it for the first time last night. Loved it! Doing a low carb session for a few months and the net carbs for a serving is only 4! YUM YUM
  • Onesnap
    Options
    The farmers of the midwest would like to thank the guy who decided to call it by it's "cool, exotic" name and make those soybeans SOOOO popular! lol I grew up surrounded by "edamame" fields. People used to be PISSED when it was used as a filler..now they're just eating them straight out of the pod! LMAO!

They have always eaten it right out of the pod.

I mean, at least at Japanese restaurants.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    First of all it's not a 'soy product'

All of the experts (including my Mom's cancer Dr.) says to avoid processed soy.

A bean...is not...processed.

Calling edamame a "soy product" is like calling chicken a "chicken product". It's not a product OF, it just IS.

You may have a soy allergy or intolerance if you're having bloating issues.. just something to think about.

As for soy products as a whole, I don't think it's soy that "causes" cancer or other health problems but rather the modern day technology that taints its nutritional value. Asian cultures have relied upon and thrived on soy for how many millenia?? As always, it's best to avoid non-GMO and eat whole foods whenever possible.

Highly doubt it's an ab killer too.. it's mostly protein.. what you put into core workouts is a bigger factor than a handful of soybeans.

If you can find a local Asian market, they almost always carry frozen edamame (shelled and non-shelled) that is non-GMO. Most markets I've been to around me sell it non-GMO too so it hasn't been a problem but I would suggest talking to the store managers about supplying non-GMO since if your stores don't.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I love them but they are difficult to source in the UK: agree they are not a soy product, just another unprocessed vegetable item.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    My uncle (farmer in NE LA) got PAID this year by having a great soybean crop this year. I like to think I'm eating stuff he's grown...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I hate them.